How do the mirror chrome caps go on?

The OEM caps have three tabs on the bottom that lock into a mating surface on the bottom of the mirror housing, and the top of the cap has a lip that fits into the edge of the mirror facing. When removing the caps, you will probably break one, if not all, of the tabs off.

scan0001dc.jpg

Bottom edge, in the middle there is a clip that is the hardest to get released, start there with a whale bone or plastic pry bar (almost like a knife type). Take a good look at the new caps to see where the three clips are on the bottom edge.

Thanks Everyone! So how does everyone feel about the chrome covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck came with the chrome mirror caps and door handles...I liked them until I saw color-matched mirror caps and door handles. I couldn't get a set of caps and handles quick enough then.

Thanks Everyone! So how does everyone feel about the chrome covers?

My truck came with the chrome mirror caps and door handles...I liked them until I saw color-matched mirror caps and door handles. I couldn't get a set of caps and handles quick enough then.

I was thinking about going that rout. Where can you get the color matched ones? Do I have to have them painted?

Or do you want to sell your chrome ones?

Sold my chrome ones a long time ago. Check the classifieds here or Ebay for the handles and caps. When searching Ebay for them, don't limit your search to Sierra or Silverado trucks. Include Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc as the handles are the same on all of them. You should be able to get them from the dealer also.

When I changed my caps out. I pulled the top and bottom of the mirror assembly off. Made it easier to get to those easy to break tabs. Fold the mirror in and gently pull both the top and bottom pieces at the same time. Mine popped right off. Simple to change out the cap and pop them right back on. I believe it took me 10 minutes to do both mirrors. The 2 pieces they show in the picture above the cover and the housing are what I am talking about removing at the same time.

Send rich (msdale) a pm on a price. I had to buy two sets of silver birch and they were about $80 for a pair if I remember right

Ryan

Archived