Chit chat

SarahsGMC

30 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Unfortunately I'm dumb and the shop they're using to work on the drive shaft is the same shop I would have taken it to on my own.  It was recommended to me by a few people who had their drive shafts made there.

I don't know where you live up there but around here I can easily think of 3 or 4 shops within an hour's drive that could build and balance a driveshaft.  Any squabble between the dealer and the shop sounds like the shop is waiting for overdue payments.  Have you talked to them yourself?  Have you looked around for other driveline shops?  What city are you in?

What exactly is wrong with the drive shaft anyway?

Edited by swathdiver

37 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

I don't know where you live up there but around here I can easily think of 3 or 4 shops within an hour's drive that could build and balance a driveshaft.  Any squabble between the dealer and the shop sounds like the shop is waiting for overdue payments.  Have you talked to them yourself?  Have you looked around for other driveline shops?  What city are you in?

What exactly is wrong with the drive shaft anyway?

I'm in Orlando.  No I haven't talked to the drive line shop yet and I haven't looked for other shops.  I don't think it's a payment issue as the drive shaft and truck have been sent back to the shop multiple times now.  The problem as the dealership explains it to me is the DL shop has balanced it and the vibration after putting it back on the truck has gotten worse than before they did the drive shaft.  Also said something about the DL shop not balancing the shaft while it was on the truck.  It's just a big fuster cluck at this point.  I just called GMC service and they're going to look into it and get back to me so I guess I'll wait and see what happens.  The bill isn't going to be cheap last estimate I got was over $3k and that was at the end of November.  That also included the intermediate steering shaft replacement and them replacing most of the internals on the rear diff since I believe the limited slip went bad (that's what it felt like and what the symptoms pointed to anyway).  Again I'm dumb and lazy.  I should have learned my lesson and quit going to that dealership a while ago.

13 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Also said something about the DL shop not balancing the shaft while it was on the truck. 

I've been out the driveline business for some years now but I've never heard of a driveshaft being balanced on a truck, of any kind.  Race cars too.

As I was reading this post, my thoughts went to the rear differential and then you write that you've had work done in there.

Several times I've had problems under warranty that seemingly could not be figured out.  Frustrated, I took a walk.  I walked away from the service counter and into the bays looking for the guy with the biggest tool box and most experience.  I got them to take over the work on my vehicles and in short order the problems were solved.

I've never met a dumb and lazy guy who owns a 1-ton that he bought himself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I've been out the driveline business for some years now but I've never heard of a driveshaft being balanced on a truck, of any kind.  Race cars too.

As I was reading this post, my thoughts went to the rear differential and then you write that you've had work done in there.

Several times I've had problems under warranty that seemingly could not be figured out.  Frustrated, I took a walk.  I walked away from the service counter and into the bays looking for the guy with the biggest tool box and most experience.  I got them to take over the work on my vehicles and in short order the problems were solved.

I've never met a dumb and lazy guy who owns a 1-ton that he bought himself.

Well I don't fit into that scenario since I didn't buy this truck, my father did and when he passed I kept it.  Apparently all the times I took it to the dealer before their "heavy truck guy" didn't work on it.  This time that mechanic is the one working on it, so maybe that's why something was actually found as being not right.  I say I'm lazy because I could have just bought a reman rear end for about $3k and just replaced the entire assembly for about the price of labor and rebuilding the differential at the dealer.  I just didn't feel like doing all that work and having my buddy help me that much.  May or may not have fixed my supposed drive shaft issue though.  Considering the truck only has 83,000ish miles on it it shouldn't have had all this work done on it.  It's been babied, I don't think it even towed anything until I started driving it and even then that doesn't count.  Heaviest load was when I bought my boat but that was only 1 45 minute drive and 11,000ish pounds shouldn't do a thing to the truck.

I thought I read somewhere that GMC was revealing the 2020 HDs today?  Did I misread or it didn't happen?

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 1

Think I've already found the answer, but whenever I get my truck back I'll need to consider changing the headlight housings out.  I put LEDs in them and they're beyond stupid bright.  I looked at projector style housings but none seem to use the factory H11/9005 bulb size which if true means I have 3 options.  Keep being an ahole, buy new housings and bulbs, or go back to bulbs.

HIDs are an option, too. The good sets shouldn't blind people, so long as they're adjusted correctly. We have them in our '86 Grand Marquis - definitely one of the best upgrades I've done to that car. A literal night and day difference. The housings I got with them were designed for HIDs so there's no hot spots.

Not sure if anyone makes full housings for our trucks, but I'd imagine they'd be pretty spendy ...

There are a lot of aftermarket housings that aren't horrible in price.  I spent more on putting all LEDs inside and out on the truck than I would for new headlight housings.  I'm not sure I'd like HIDs, don't they have a slight warm up time?  Plus I'm weird, I need everything to "match" so I'd be doing my high beams as well and I use my high beams many times driving at night.

• Like 1

Yeah, it takes about 7 seconds or so to come on full bright. When you first turn them on, it's almost like a camera flash as the arc gets struck. The lighting quality is AMAZING, though.

Well the lighting quality is amazing on these LEDs, they'd be super amazing if they were aimed correctly though.  I guess it doesn't matter as much now that I work days.  Went from almost exclusively night driving to very little night driving, who would have thought not working nights would do that to my driving habits? lol

I didn't know they were playing until you posted.  I didn't know the super bowl was this weekend until a week ago.  I am however tired of tax dollars being wasted on "professional" sports :-)

This chilly weather is awesome though!

I'm from MA .. and I didn't know they were playing! :lol:

Couldn't give a shit, honestly. Our military should be getting paid that kind of money, not ball players. Half of them (maybe not the Pats, but just generalizing) kneel during our National Anthem, insulting every single person that EVER wore the uniform. :mad: 

Just sayin' ...