Chit chat

SarahsGMC

He actually traded his Ram for it ...  because it was a lemon! Worse than my Silverado if you can believe that. Less than 25k miles - had been in for leaking front diff pinion seal, rusting chrome bumpers when it wasn't even a year old, burning smell in engine compartment and cab, leaking struts, countless recalls, and finally a blown heater core that iced up the inside of his windows when it was below zero out. The last straw was when the service department told him, "they could not recreate the problem" - my guess is they fixed it with stop leak to get it out of their hair. Either way, he traded it for the Tundra ... and on his way back there, the LEDs on the mirror adjustment buttons all went out. When he got home, there was yet another recall for the airbags ... due to METAL FRAGMENTS being in them ... :sigh: 

I'm content with staying in the 20th Century with my vehicles. The Silverado will be the only "new" one I'll ever own again.

I’ve only had two Rams that weren’t diesels. A V-10 and a 1/2 ton. I know a few Ram owners some family members. Most of them work at my shop. My brother is on his fourth. He just bought a new one. The last one he gave to his parts manager with 200K miles on it. Our shop Forman is on his second. My brother in law has 100K on his. My father still drives his 98 diesel. They have been just as reliable as the others, and spend a good part of their time off road. I’d still rather drive a GM, but my experience hasn’t been bad with the others. They used to drive Fords. I was the only red headed step child driving GM. Their dislike for GMs go back to the 5.7 diesel, I was trying to convert them back to GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I converted my whole family to GM in the early 2000's ... now they won't take advice from me anymore, LOL. Both my brother and dad got complete and total lemons, as did I in '07. Never again for any of us. My brother is done with Ram after the '16 fiasco. The '16 was built in Mexico, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

My ol' man currently drives a '19 Ram 1500 (USA built) - so far so good with that ... but he puts maybe 3k a year on it, so I'd hope so after only  7 months.

I converted my whole family to GM in the early 2000's ... now they won't take advice from me anymore, LOL. Both my brother and dad got complete and total lemons, as did I in '07. Never again for any of us. My brother is done with Ram after the '16 fiasco. The '16 was built in Mexico, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

My ol' man currently drives a '19 Ram 1500 (USA built) - so far so good with that ... but he puts maybe 3k a year on it, so I'd hope so after only  7 months.

We had a few of 5.7 diesels. We forgave and bought 3 GM 6.5 trucks in 95. I already had a 91 Dodge diesel at the time. I was the one who moved the clearing tractors to the ROWs I turned up the injection pump and raised the governor speed. That truck pulled our tractors for 100k miles, then became a crew truck and later a parts runner for the shop. The odometer quit the third time around. One repaint and one new seat. Finally gave it to the shop Forman as a bonus. He traded it for a jeep, could have killed him. Meanwhile the 6.5s didn't really have the power to pull the 24K combo the 91 was so they just hauled crews. Around 85k the injector pumps started failing, lost one transmission. We were lucky they had 100K warranties. Here's the kicker, I was a frequent purchaser at this dealer, recently bought my impala ss after several cars their. The salesman advices us to unload those 6.5s before the warranties are up. Meanwhile the 4 year old 91 dodge is just clicking along. So what do you think we're buying. Two Ram V10s one diesel and one gas Ram. My mothers 6.5 stays around longer she doesn't put the miles on and later gets a powestroke. 18 years later it still daily driven by her. The 98 Ram still driven by my father. After selling our clearing part of our business and going to half tons I'm the only one who went back to GM. We were a GM only family. If the Ram starts giving them problems I'm sure they'll switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one of my biggest regrets - buying the '07 Silverado instead of a 12v Cummins backed by a 5 or 6-speed. I'd have been MUCH better off.

That's one of my biggest regrets - buying the '07 Silverado instead of a 12v Cummins backed by a 5 or 6-speed. I'd have been MUCH better off.

I remember my brother bought a 94 4WD 350 gas auto Chevy. It just had a toolbox, 50 gal fuel tank, little air compressor and tools. A real dog. My 5 speed 91 dodge diesel was equipped the same but with a one hundred gal fuel tank. I did turn it up a bit. It was rated at 165HP, I would walk him bad. That truck would hardly stay in overdrive. He complained so much dad let him trade it after he drove it just 6 months in. The identical Chevy but with the 6.5.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, KARNUT said:

I remember my brother bought a 94 4WD 350 gas auto Chevy. It just had a toolbox, 50 gal fuel tank, little air compressor and tools. A real dog. My 5 speed 91 dodge diesel was equipped the same but with a one hundred gal fuel tank. I did turn it up a bit. It was rated at 165HP, I would walk him bad. That truck would hardly stay in overdrive. He complained so much dad let him trade it after he drove it just 6 months in. The identical Chevy but with the 6.5.

Those TBIs were happy to get ANY help, I put a hypertech chip, TBI spacer and the TBI airflow bowl on and it made an incredible difference. Years ago a GM Master Tech told me the old early 90s CATS were a huge hindrance on the 350 TBIs, and just removing the cats would free up around 20 HP.

I remember after the mods a 19ish friend (I was 16 or 17) got a 98 with the then new 5.3, so of course we did what dumb car kids do, I had him to 25 everytime. :lol: after that, not so much

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Like 1

I must've had a Wednesday engine in my '94 K1500. That thing rocketed out of the hole faster than just about anything on the street. On my commute to work over the 4 years I owned it, I can count on one hand the number of vehicles that were able to get ahead of me at the traffic lights. Was stock as far as I know - don't know if it had a chip. May have. Stock air cleaner and iron manifolds with Flowmaster 2-into-1-into-2 exhaust. A guy I worked with had a '69 Chevelle - commented that he'd never seen a truck accelerate out of the hole that quick in his life after I jumped on it from a stop when the light turned green, lol. Previous owner may have done some internal mods that I wasn't aware of ... but he was a body guy, so I doubt it. Maybe the guy before him. Who knows.

Later in it's life, I ended up buying headers, TBI and air cleaner spacers, and a bigger Holley TBI unit ... and lost about 50% of it's off-the-line power! Good example of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it",  Had 266k trouble free miles on it when I sold it. GM needs to get back to that kind of reliability!

I must've had a Wednesday engine in my '94 K1500. That thing rocketed out of the hole faster than just about anything on the street. On my commute to work over the 4 years I owned it, I can count on one hand the number of vehicles that were able to get ahead of me at the traffic lights. Was stock as far as I know - don't know if it had a chip. May have. Stock air cleaner and iron manifolds with Flowmaster 2-into-1-into-2 exhaust. A guy I worked with had a '69 Chevelle - commented that he'd never seen a truck accelerate out of the hole that quick in his life after I jumped on it from a stop when the light turned green, lol. Previous owner may have done some internal mods that I wasn't aware of ... but he was a body guy, so I doubt it. Maybe the guy before him. Who knows.

Later in it's life, I ended up buying headers, TBI and air cleaner spacers, and a bigger Holley TBI unit ... and lost about 50% of it's off-the-line power! Good example of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it",  Had 266k trouble free miles on it when I sold it. GM needs to get back to that kind of reliability!

I had a 74 barracuda like that. I bought a stripper 318,3 speed for 2900$ new. I was going drop a built 340, 4speed in it. I figured what the hell and put a high rise and headers on the 318. Put a set of cheater slicks on it. Took it to atco in New Jersey and turned 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. A real freak the engine was. Getting married put an end to drag racing for a while.

Nice - that was a healthy one. Best I could get out of my mostly stock '72 El Camino was 14.8 @ 86 - I couldn't get traction off the line if my life depended on it. A one-tire fire, lol. Was a smoking hot day, too - had lots of spark knock once the tires started grabbing. Wish I had run the strip in the fall.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

So, turn out when you start waterless washing road salt with mostly spray wax(I under dilute, so it was probably 1/6th waterless wash concentrate, 2/6 spray wax, 1/2 water, and the WW concentrate can be diluted 20:1.)because you grabbed the wrong bottle to make a new mix, it turns out fine & slick(if not greasy)  if your towel wipe method is good(no pressure, roll the edge a little each pass). Completely cleaned and buffed a small patch and didn't see scratches or new micro marring.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

So you'd think a Ford dealership who services RVs would have a large enough alignment setup to align my truck...nope.  No one on my side of town has a setup that will fit my truck (that I've called or been to) and I don't want to go to the one on the other side of town because they quoted me a price for balancing tires on the phone and then the next day charged me more which with 6 tires came out to a $20+ difference.  Too much city around here.  

New Kia Soul looks very interesting. The EV is going to have 201hp/290 Tq and a 60 kW battery. The gas one tops out at 27,500 with features some GM brands don't even carry, and the rear cargo area dwarfs a lot of crossovers.

I had the last gen for a rental 3 years ago and was blown away at how much value they offer, not much road noise, pretty comfortable, felt more powerful than they are, probably be the best car in the price range for a family(installing/removing huge carseats is easy).

Edited by SnakeEyeSS