LED Under Rail Bed Lighting

On 6/25/2016 at 8:47 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

I bought the female ends and cut off the red plastic on the ends. I had to drill the plug and clearance it to fit the female ends. Ran it through the plug and soldered the ends on.

EBEABEDC-90B8-464E-96B9-8D579C909C9F_zps

11F467F7-4669-457F-B94A-F9043FC351EB_zps

The main lead from the plug is appx 8" long. Since the box is on the drivers side, I made that side a little shorter. I made it longer so I can trim it to fit tomorrow. The drivers side is 7.5' and the pass side is 10.5'. I soldered all the wires together, electrical taped them and then used heat shrink. I globbed silicone in the plug end and its drying now. Tomorrow I'll clean it up and have wire loom to cover it all with.

74BE6B7B-2AE8-4413-9DC4-6C14B3C014F7_zps

Not bad for less than an hours work.

Thanks for the tip! I copied this on my 2014. I purchased $10 worth of white LED strips from Amazon and wired it all up to three sides in under an hour. My favorite upgrade so far. It blows the factory version away.

IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Smith
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, DHaze83 said:

Can someone post a pic of their 6 pin harness or tell ne the pin out so i can convert my 8 pin over to the 6? Please and thank you!!

I am looking to help a buddy wire some lights in his 2015. I understand that GM changed the plug from 6 pins to 8 pins at some point and I am trying to figure out which one he will need to get. Did you order the 8 pin plug when you really needed the 6 pin plug?

32 minutes ago, Bizon14 said:

I am looking to help a buddy wire some lights in his 2015. I understand that GM changed the plug from 6 pins to 8 pins at some point and I am trying to figure out which one he will need to get. Did you order the 8 pin plug when you really needed the 6 pin plug?

Yes i did. I just went ahead and purchased the GM bed lighting kit and some LED strip lights off of amazon. Sometimes easier is worth the extra cash. The 8 pin is good for the 2500s and up and i believe some older model 1500s. Just climb under and look at the plug and see. I still have the 8 pin harness if you need it. Just pay shipping and its yours.

18 minutes ago, DHaze83 said:

Yes i did. I just went ahead and purchased the GM bed lighting kit and some LED strip lights off of amazon. Sometimes easier is worth the extra cash. The 8 pin is good for the 2500s and up and i believe some older model 1500s. Just climb under and look at the plug and see. I still have the 8 pin harness if you need it. Just pay shipping and its yours.

Okay that makes sense. He took a look and it said the dummy plug is a 6 pin, the only problem is that I have found the two different part numbers for the harnesses, but I have yet to find a good description of which harness is which. I have a hard time blindly trusting the fitment guides online, but from these I am thinking that the 6 pin harness should be 23327843, and the 8 pin harness should be 22878806. You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the 8 pin harness you bought would you?

22 minutes ago, Bizon14 said:

Okay that makes sense. He took a look and it said the dummy plug is a 6 pin, the only problem is that I have found the two different part numbers for the harnesses, but I have yet to find a good description of which harness is which. I have a hard time blindly trusting the fitment guides online, but from these I am thinking that the 6 pin harness should be 23327843, and the 8 pin harness should be 22878806. You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the 8 pin harness you bought would you?

You are correct with your part numbers. 806 is the 8 pin.

1 hour ago, DHaze83 said:

You are correct with your part numbers. 806 is the 8 pin.

Awesome, thank you for the direction! Now to figure out if it is going to be easier to find just the harness 23327843 (not interested in the OEM lights), or if it is going to be easier to use the dummy plug to make a harness.

1 hour ago, Bizon14 said:

Awesome, thank you for the direction! Now to figure out if it is going to be easier to find just the harness 23327843 (not interested in the OEM lights), or if it is going to be easier to use the dummy plug to make a harness.

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/gm-wire-harness-23327843?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl8dK8Ajsp8fcNQNcjA1NXoNk8-u0WkDZdZECPLQCU_IN9uwyefz__oaAuoqEALw_wcB

Found this. Looks right.

6 minutes ago, DHaze83 said:

Appreciate the link! I will look into it a bit. I have found a handful of sites that sell it, but almost all of the sites have terrible ratings with a lot of people claiming that they have been waiting several months and are not able to contact the sellers.

On 8/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, Goinovr said:

You didn't happen to find the light side of the plug did you? I've been putting off finishing mine because I don't really want to cut the ends off the main harness and go directly to the leds I have.

I don't have a set of lights to check against.  I used some LED strip light to make my own LED ligthing