Avalanche! Rust!! Hate it!!!

So sick of rust!!! So I decided to take a peak behind those plastic pieces on my Avy. Behind the rear doors, to the lower bottom, is rusted right out! Nice! So I decided to just rip the plastic piece off that covers behind the rear door to the wheel well. The paint was all bubbled and I could wipe off the paint with my hand!! Ugh!! So this is my thoughts, I want to get rid of all the plastic panels, get all the rust removed and replace any panels that are rusted out. Then I want to hit the whole lower portion of the truck with bedliner (Line-X or whatever). So instead of the plastic panels it will have bedliner in those areas. What ya'll think?? See any disadvatnages to doing this? Let me hear your thoughts/ideas.

1001949_671099116251737_369804696_n.jpg

1157472_671094666252182_1338137269_n.jpg

i think its a good idea but i personally would never want to put bedliner on a newer truck, i think it looks horrible. its fine on an old beater but on a clean newer truck it looks odd.

i would fix all of the panels and put the plastic back on, even though thats what contributed to the rust in the first place

i think its a good idea but i personally would never want to put bedliner on a newer truck, i think it looks horrible. its fine on an old beater but on a clean newer truck it looks odd.

i would fix all of the panels and put the plastic back on, even though thats what contributed to the rust in the first place

Exactly!! That is why I am so hesitant on putting the plastic back on there! I think the bedliner looks pretty good as long as it's done right. They can also color match it. Also, I wouldn't call an 11 year old truck "newer". lol

I've been thinking about doing the spray on liner in my rear wheel wells to prevent rust (since there is no lining on the rear wheel wells) and I thought a possible benefit could be a slight reduction in road noise. I'd love to see some after pictures when that's done and know what people think about the wheel well idea.

I would bet the panels rusted through from the inside out, not because of the plastic cladding. Unless you found dirt caked between the cladding and panels in which case maybe it rusted from the outside in.

I would bet the panels rusted through from the inside out, not because of the plastic cladding. Unless you found dirt caked between the cladding and panels in which case maybe it rusted from the outside in.

Pretty sure that's the case. There was a bunch of crap behind the panel when I took it off.

Archived