Child Seats in Double Cab

Hi guys, I've been in the market for a 1/2 ton pickup for the last few months and lurking on here for a while, and part of that search has been trying to future proof it for family needs.

I'm planning on getting married soon and hopefully having a child, so I really want to make sure I get a pickup that isn't going to require me to switch trucks when the time comes. I'm interested in the Double Cab sierras because I'm not a fan of a 5 1/2 foot box on the crew max (the 6 1/2 on a crew is just too big for me)... my question was if any of you guys out there have a double cab and utilize baby seats for the back seats? I was wondering how difficult it has been for you to get it in and out, or if it's even doable? Do the Double Cabs have a Latch system as well? I spaced out checking last time i made the trip to the dealership. Also, since I'm also considering an F-150 Extended Cab w/ suicide doors, wondering if you guys had any experience on which would be easier for a baby seat? The smaller Double Cab doors of the Sierra, or the rear hinged Suicide doors like on the F-150 (and previous gen Sierras)? Any input you guys would have would be great! Thanks again in advance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 2011 Extended Cab Silverado. The suicide doors were a pain in the ass to get my child loaded up into the car seat. It had the latch system also. I would think the double cab doors would make it easier. But either way I would go with the crew cab. Way more room and if you are planning on having a family that is the only way to go..

I would recommend a crew cab. My wife, son(2yrs old) and I went to the dealer to see how he fit in a double cab and it changed our minds quickly. With him in his child seat and my wife in the passenger seat they both were cramped. My wife is 5'-8" and her knees were against the glove box. My son is tall for his age (39") and his knees were too close to her seat for our comfort. Hope this helps.

thanks for all the input guys... basically exactly what I was hoping not to hear but I appreciate everyones input lol Wanted to avoid the crew cabs just because it bumps the truck out of my price range and I feel like that 5'5 box would end up being frustrating. Agh

I have two small kids and have ext cab. I do wish had gotten the crew. Got such a good price on ext cab that if I trade in I would be nowhere close to same dollar amount. We do make it work as truck is not primary vehicle and both kids are in truck at same time only a handful of times. Going camping is tight with wife, two kids and dog, LOL!

Go with a crew cab. I have an extended cab F150 and have a 15 month old. I don't take her places often in my truck but its a pain. Had the truck way before she was a thought but looking for a crew cab now..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I have 8yr old twins and 2 large 80# dogs. Riding in my ECSB 01 Silverado was cramped for the kids in their booster seats. The main reason I bought this 14 Sierra was the ability to get the crew cab with a 6.5' bed. The 5.5' bed will not hold 2 motorcycles, only 1 diagonal. It will also not hold 4 wheels and tires in the bed laying flat due to the wheel wells. While the crew cab std bed is a bit longer than the extended cab, I consider the increased turning radius and parking clearance to be well worth the added interior and bed space.

I have owned a '10 Sierra extended cab 6.5' bed and just traded it in on a '14 Sierra double cab 6.5' bed. I have a 7 year old with a booster seat and the new doors on the '14 is much better than the suicide doors on the '10, especially in a parking lot/tight situation, it was like a chinese jijsaw puzzle trying to get her out and in sometimes. My wife is small (5' 3") and so is my daughter for her age (48") and both have plenty of room, the wife says there is more room than she had in the '10 so go figure.

They say the new '14's have the same interior space as GMT900's (technically I think that's correct but GM must have utlizied the space differently or something).. I find it lots of room for kids (I have had 3 small kids back there without any issues). I will admit that the suicide doors do give more ingress access to the backseat area but the only time that becomes an issue is if you are putting something large in the backseat, but really that's why ya got a 6.5' bed! lol...

I do admit that the Crew cabs have more room and if you have teenagers then I could see it getting a little tight for space back there.. but for infants and small kids it's fine! A crew with a 6.5' box length to me is just too long.. but it comes down to personal preference I guess.

I would suggest getting a loan of a neighbors kid(s) and heading to the dealership with your wife and test fitting 'em all... lol....

I have a forward facing car seat in my 14 crew cab GMC and it fits great. My son is 2.5 and very tall and he can still kick the seat in front of him, but no one is cramped or squished. I think he might not reach in the tundra crew cab, but that cab is freakishly long for me.

A rear facing seat should also fit just fine without having to scoot the front seats up much if at all.

I just traded a '10 ext for a '14 crew and have a 3 month old in a rear facing seat. I had the car seat in the middle and it worked ok, but I'm really glad I got a crew. As said before tight spaces were a pain, and leaning halfway across the truck to get him out got old really fast. Losing bed space wasn't a huge deal for me but I don't use the bed often enough for it to matter.

Something you have to consider is the SIZE of car seats, and whether or not it'll be forward or rear facing. If you're just talking of HAVING kids, then you're starting with rear-facing.

When we went to test-drive trucks, an important factor was if/how a child seat would fit (we already have an 18-month-old son, and a new baby on the way). I know that our son's rear-facing seat fit in the back of my Dad's 2000 Sierra EXT cab okay, as long as he was in the middle (the child seat protrudes forward between both of the front seats). However, with TWO kids, putting a child seat in the middle is no longer an option ... we'll have to put them directly behind each of the front seats.

SO, here's the deal ........... in the 2014 crew cab, the rear-facing seat JUST FITS NICELY behind the driver's seat (positioned for me - 5'10"). I didn't even attempt to try it in the double cab ... it quite simply would NOT fit behind the front seats unless you have them pushed WAY forward (surely killing leg room). However, if you have older kids (~12months+) who can be forward-facing, then a double cab should work fine (or like I said, with only 1 in the back, middle position, rear-facing).

For me, it was a no-brainer ... I NEED the crew cab (which will be more comfortable for anybody/everybody who has to ride back there). I also opted for the 6.5' box ... really, what's an extra 10" wheelbase?! My Dad used to have an '89 EXT w/8' box, and I never had a problem with it in parking lots. This truck will be no different. And with the backup camera? Piece of cake!

So again, just consider what direction your kid(s) will be facing when determining whether or not a double cab will work for you or not.

Archived