All Terrain Painted Bumper Chips

You guys honestly think GM can, or will do anything about something like this? What can they do? pay for you to get a clear bra? Re paint the front end with better paint? It will never happen. These GM bloggers can't do anything.. their job is to post the same thing on every thread. "Pm me your vin, etc, etc.. we can look into it"

I would think there is a 10 times better chance of the Chevy owners getting there HVAC LED lights corrected first....and even that is slim to none.

sorry for the rant.. just the truth..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys honestly think GM can, or will do anything about something like this? What can they do? pay for you to get a clear bra? Re paint the front end with better paint? It will never happen. These GM bloggers can't do anything.. their job is to post the same thing on every thread. "Pm me your vin, etc, etc.. we can look into it"

I would think there is a 10 times better chance of the Chevy owners getting there HVAC LED lights corrected first....and even that is slim to none.

sorry for the rant.. just the truth..

I didn't start the thread looking for GM to take care of the problem. I started it to find out if other had the same issue (which has now been answered) or if it was just my truck. Am I happy about the fact that it's happening? No, but what can you do?

I understand and follow you...

The only thing you can do is be mindful of it and not tailgate others. I thought about this well in advance BEFORE i purchased the All Terrain ...and it hasn't been a real issue for me yet. I'm surprised no one else did ? Overtime I'm sure more chips will pop up.. but it's the tradeoff for having everything painted.

It just some folks live in a fantasy land by thinking there is even a chance GM would care about something like this... or could do something about it.

I know.. I know... we all paid 50K for our trucks, bla, bla, and GM should use better paint..

cheaper to have it repainted a few times.... the shop here did front bumpers (if we removed them and brought them in for $100 with an extra coat of clear we did most lot trucks.... I think it was one of the factors why our used trucks with painted bumpers sold before the other dealers who didn't do it

Get a clear bra if it bothers you, or check out the 3M paint defender spray. Painted anything is going to chip...period..dot. With he EPA mandate for water based paint, all manufacturers suffer from weak paint.

If you think GM is responsible for the road chips you got, you need a reality check. If you don't want to worry about rock chips on your new truck...buy used! I swear some of you complain about the dumbest things....this is not directed to the OP...just the rock chip whiners.

Also it kills me that some of you drive a $50K truck, lifted with rims....and yet bitch about the $600 for a clear bra which is one of the few mods you can do to your car that will actually preserve the value of you rig.....incredulous!!

+ 1... that was my exact point...

Also .. just FYI, the 3M spray... I did this the first week I had the truck because I knew in advance the rock chips were coming. Anyway... I ended up removing it a few days later. It's started to peal after one (low pressure) easy wash.. It look 3 times longer to remove it ...what a PITA

I heard the paint defender was a PITA to remove. Maybe 3M will come out with v2.0 or something. Heck the X pel film is a pain too; especially for those with low patience. For me the $850 i spent to cover all the forward areas that could be chipped was worth it rather than my OCD nagging me every time i saw a chip.

I put the 3M clear bra on the bumper right away after my dealer suggested that painted bumpers chip easily. Best decision I made. I had a painted bumper on my 2009 Silverado and it chiped easily and I was constantly touching it up. Just spend the $250 and protect your painted bumper!

You do realize for the cost of the clear bra you could have the bumper sprayed....twice?

Who cares? Either way spend the $200 to repaint the bumper or get a clear bra...bitchin that it gets rock chips in it is like bitching about the weather....it comes with the territory.

I also had the front 12 inches of my hood, a-pillars, 12 inches on the leading edge of my roof, 8 inches on the leading edge of both front fenders, both headlights top and bottom, all door handle cups, all four door edges and the painted trim between my chrome bumper and grill covered....i doubt you can get those painted twice over for cheaper than the clear bra.

You'll get just as many rock chips on the -Pillars and roof line as you will on the bumper if you spend time on the highways. While many on here bitch about all the chrome, at least i wont have to worry about rock chips on both my front and rear bumper....its a trade off.

Im getting paint protection film for mine(xpel ultimate). The bumper alone is 500 bucks, but its the self healing good quality stuff. Gonna cost me a grand to do all the bad spots.. Well worth it IMO.. The guy is knocking a bunch of money off it, because hes buddies with the guy that sold me the truck. I'm also taking my girlfriend's Santa Fe there for the same treatment. I had the stuff on my '13 and the paint was fine, and I drive offroad/gravel/mud for work all the time.

Good side steps, mud flaps, and paint protection film is what you need if you hate chips.

Im getting paint protection film for mine(xpel ultimate). The bumper alone is 500 bucks, but its the self healing good quality stuff. Gonna cost me a grand to do all the bad spots.. Well worth it IMO.. The guy is knocking a bunch of money off it, because hes buddies with the guy that sold me the truck. I'm also taking my girlfriend's Santa Fe there for the same treatment. I had the stuff on my '13 and the paint was fine, and I drive offroad/gravel/mud for work all the time.

Good side steps, mud flaps, and paint protection film is what you need if you hate chips.

Smart man my entire gt500 is covered in xpel 0 Chips scratches etc. same on my Denali when it arrives.

Won I know for sure they use water based paint, my dad retired from GM and when they closed the GM plant here in OKC my father was in charge of sending the equipment from the OKC plant to other plants. All of OKC's paint systems went to Mexico from this plant and it was a water based system.

Most all manufactures that are based out of the USA have been using water based paint for years now. I know a lot of the GM plants do as my dad at one point was in some of the other plants as they were going thru shut down.

Archived