All Terrain Painted Bumper Chips

Has anyone used, or considered using Plasti Dip on their front bumper? This my plan. With the "glossifier" it's rather hard to distinguish from nothing at all.

I thought about trying this as well. I'm hoping the black pasti dip with the glossifier will closely match the clear coat black paint. Did you ever do it?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Painted carbon steel bumper. What did they expect, wish I knew it was steel upon purchase I would of opted for the xpel or 3m film. So disappointed

I thought about trying this as well. I'm hoping the black pasti dip with the glossifier will closely match the clear coat black paint. Did you ever do it?

I did. Going to wash it shortly, will try and get pics and report on effectiveness. I'm probably not the world's greatest rattle can painter, but it didn't look bad at all. Can u tell it's in there? Most certainly. Does NOT look as good as xpel by any stretch of the imagination. It definitely knocked down the gloss a couple of notches. That said, it doesn't look bad to me at all. And if it protects, well then it looks fantastic and the price makes me like it even that much more!

I did. Going to wash it shortly, will try and get pics and report on effectiveness. I'm probably not the world's greatest rattle can painter, but it didn't look bad at all. Can u tell it's in there? Most certainly. Does NOT look as good as xpel by any stretch of the imagination. It definitely knocked down the gloss a couple of notches. That said, it doesn't look bad to me at all. And if it protects, well then it looks fantastic and the price makes me like it even that much more!

ok great! I look forward to the pics and the review. I was going to buy some if it worked for you. thanks!

CAnt really blame GM, EPA mandated water borne paint several years ago. It is not as durable as the old stuff and chips a lot easier.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no such mandate from the EPA and GM does not paint these bumpers.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose to avoid the headaches, Xpel Ultimate it was! I had to take many pics at different angles and lighting for the film to show. Full front $615, not cheap but well worth it!!

Xplel4

Xpel6

Xpel5

• 3 months later...

You guys complaining that the whole front end is covered up with chips... your tailgating too close to other cars.. plan and simple.

I'm at 12K miles... and mostly major highway driving. I think I have 2 very small chips that I touched up. Stop tailgating and keep the front end waxed every few months... you wont have a bad problem.

You guys complaining that the whole front end is covered up with chips... your tailgating too close to other cars.. plan and simple.

I'm at 12K miles... and mostly major highway driving. I think I have 2 very small chips that I touched up. Stop tailgating and keep the front end waxed every few months... you wont have a bad problem.

I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting... BIG difference. Haha all joking aside, you're definitely right. I try to not follow too close to vehicles without flaps especially.

• 1 month later...

I chose to avoid the headaches, Xpel Ultimate it was! I had to take many pics at different angles and lighting for the film to show. Full front $615, not cheap but well worth it!!

how do you like your toyo mt ?

I just purchased a 2014 Sierra yesterday. I traded in my 2009 Toyota Tacoma on it. I had a 3M clear bra installed on the Tacoma by the dealer and after 4.5 years it started to look absolutely terrible! It started to deteriorate and present with a hazy appearance so I decided I wanted it off. It took me and a friend (who is a detailer) the better part of two days to remove the film and the residue it left behind. We tried every kind of technique we could find on google but nothing worked well besides elbow grease and adhesive remover.

After finally getting it off, I was not happy with result, it was obvious the paint underneath did not match the rest of the truck. I guess that's what 4 years of sun shielding will do. I told myself I would never get another clear bra.

I'd rather spend 20 mins washing and waxing the front end once a month than have to go through the agony of trying to remove that clear bra again.

I don't know if there's a life span, on them, but if you get one, I'd recommend taking it off around the 3 year mark before the film becomes weaker than the adhesive, anything longer and you're in for real trouble later.

+1 ...another reason why I won't get it. Wax once a month.. been all good for 14 months. Maybe have 2-3 little chips....not an issue in my area... I guess it does matter where you live. Certainly not enough to justify the $800 + these guys want to install in my area...

any update on the plasti dip? i was just thinking about that when i headed over here to see if anyone else had done it. black bumper looks like hell after 5k miles. dealer says nope never heard of it, probably following someone too closely.

i have 5k city driving miles in almost 8 months. no way i'm going fast enough to tailgate and tear up paint like this.

I am super anal about my driving habits and don't drive behind people at all, I will slow down to avoid them. I can tell you no amount of wax will protect the front bumper on these new trucks. I only had 3000 miles on mine and had touched up about 10 spots on it. It is probably worse in states where the state uses tons of sand/gravel for snow like they do here in OK. We don't use the chemical, so even the slightest hint of snow and the city is dropping tons of sand on the road. My windshield and front end take a beating each season.

only two options you have are a repaint with better paint or clear bra, otherwise be prepared to get some experience in touching up rock chips.

• 2 weeks later...

GMC-AT ... I had 3 Mercedes in the past year & a BMW (which was 10 years old) & NONE of them chipped like my 2014 GMC All Terrain (with the painted bumpers) I live in FL, don't tailgate trucks, dump trucks, cement trucks, trucks shooting BB's etc. I emailed GM direct, no response whatsoever. This is BS! theres 7,500 iles on my truck now & at least 20 chips. Have they ever heard of flex agent in the paint ???????

Archived