All Terrain Painted Bumper Chips

I am not sure if this is not more of a soft clear coat problem. I have always heard GM's have really hard clear coats, one of the reasons detailing a vett can be a pain. My parents 04 Suburban still looks pretty dang good being that it have never seen a garage or cover of any kind. I came from a 370z to this Sierra, the 370z has good paint but what it doesnt have is a hard clear and scratches/chips just looking at the car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2014 AT front bumper looks like it is covered in mud from the paint chips at 8000 kms. Living in Canda and driving in the winter, means sand on the roads and there is no way to avoid it no mater how far back you stay. The paint job is sub par no matter how you look at it. Wifes 2005 Toyota Tacoma painted front bumper has 2 rock chips in it and it has 105000 kms on it.

I wonder how hard this would be to install? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Sierra-1500-2014-3M-VentureShield-Bumper-Clear-Bra-Paint-Protection-Film-Kit-/321221582444?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2014%7CMake%3AGMC%7CModel%3ASierra+1500&hash=item4aca4c5e6c&vxp=mtr

Probably not as good as Xpel.. but I just can't stomach paying $850 to have the entire front end covered with that stuff. However, this.. I may do.. doesn't look too difficult.

Didn't look too hard from what I saw of my guy putting it on mine, but he also used a big piece and trimmed it down while on the truck. Couple of areas I am not 100% happy with but no way around them due to the curvature of the front bumper.

I wonder how hard this would be to install? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Sierra-1500-2014-3M-VentureShield-Bumper-Clear-Bra-Paint-Protection-Film-Kit-/321221582444?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2014%7CMake%3AGMC%7CModel%3ASierra+1500&hash=item4aca4c5e6c&vxp=mtr

Probably not as good as Xpel.. but I just can't stomach paying $850 to have the entire front end covered with that stuff. However, this.. I may do.. doesn't look too difficult.

I am thinking the samething, if it is possible to do it myself.

I was looking at this kit here....http://www.invisiblemask.com/clearbra_land.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CL72lYzp6LwCFYEDOgodhyAAiw

Same stuff but they give you everything you need and have more options.

I understand people saying people not to complain but when you get an "All Terrain" model, you think those areas would be sturdy. Maybe they should have carbonfiber it or something,

Just ordered my All Terrain and got them to 3m the whole front before I drive it, hopefully that will take care of that issue. I think I payed $900 for half hood bumper grill and mirrors. Which I don't think is a big deal on a $50k truck.

Years ago GM used to use "gravel guard" under the paint in vulnerable areas, such as bottoms of doors on cars and trucks. This was some kind of plastic or waxy coating that was sprayed on the primer and paint was applied over it. It had grainy texture. I wonder why they do not use something like this on painted bumpers on trucks where probability of gravel chips is high. I guess it all comes down to saving a few bucks. My old Mercedes 300D has such factory coating applied on the painted air dam below the chrome bumper.

I am thinking the samething, if it is possible to do it myself.

I was looking at this kit here....http://www.invisiblemask.com/clearbra_land.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CL72lYzp6LwCFYEDOgodhyAAiw

Same stuff but they give you everything you need and have more options.

I understand people saying people not to complain but when you get an "All Terrain" model, you think those areas would be sturdy. Maybe they should have carbonfiber it or something,

But that "All Terrain" looks so nice and shiny when parked in dealer's showroom.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck taking their rock chipped bumper to GM and having them do anything about it? Seems quite unacceptable for the price you pay and the short time-frame/mileage that this damage occurs.

Has anyone had any luck taking their rock chipped bumper to GM and having them do anything about it? Seems quite unacceptable for the price you pay and the short time-frame/mileage that this damage occurs.

id have a hard time believing GM would do anything about rock chips.... like someone said above, if your paying over 50k for a truck you should be able to shell out a couple hundred for front end protection. i got my front end done with Xpel for 300.. couldnt be happier

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed their AT getting an unusual number of rock chips on the painted front bumper? I've had mine just over 30 days and it has more chips in it than the whole body of my 2010 had after 4 years. Just wondering if they should have used the same paint on the bumpers that they use on the flexible plastic on the fronts? Seems to me it would be more forgiving. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What color is your truck? Have you thought about Rhino coating it? I took my truck in to have it Rhino lined among some other things, and the guy that did the work had a whole scrapbook of trucks that he had Rhino coated bumpers, wheel wells etc. I have a chrome bumper so I'm not too concerned over it but I'm considering rhino coating my fenders over the "light black" plastic to protect and make it darker. I was quoted around 300 to Rhino coat my chrome bumpers front and back if it was something I wanted in the future. If you have a black truck it would look pretty sharp. Not to mention if someone by chance hit the bumpers there would be minimal damage.

id have a hard time believing GM would do anything about rock chips.... like someone said above, if your paying over 50k for a truck you should be able to shell out a couple hundred for front end protection. i got my front end done with Xpel for 300.. couldnt be happier

Actually, I stopped by my dealer today and they will paint it under warranty one time! They recommended 3M after its repainted and I agreed.

Great problem resolution by GM!!

Archived