All Terrain Painted Bumper Chips

Actually, I stopped by my dealer today and they will paint it under warranty one time! They recommended 3M after its repainted and I agreed.

Great problem resolution by GM!!

That's great, I'm trying that... I'm disgusted, 7500 miles in FL w/ 20+ chips = unacceptable

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand and follow you...

The only thing you can do is be mindful of it and not tailgate others. I thought about this well in advance BEFORE i purchased the All Terrain ...and it hasn't been a real issue for me yet. I'm surprised no one else did ? Overtime I'm sure more chips will pop up.. but it's the tradeoff for having everything painted.

It just some folks live in a fantasy land by thinking there is even a chance GM would care about something like this... or could do something about it.

I know.. I know... we all paid 50K for our trucks, bla, bla, and GM should use better paint..

I live in FL, don't tailgate, (especially trac trailers, dump trucks etc) & have over 20 chips on my 2014 All Terrain with 7,500 miles.. THERE IS A PROBLEM IN HOW GM IS PAINTING THEIR BUMPERS... Maybe not the right primer? Flex agent? Clear coat? , I don't know... But it is an issue & it IS their problem.

Same problem, the painted bumper is bullshit. Why would they put that on a vehicle they advertise as all terrain.

Having the same issue.... REDICULOUS !! I live in FL, 7500 mile 20+ chips... Had 3 Mercedes & a BMW & NEVER had this issue.

Jonathon, find out how I can get GM to take back these cheaply painted bumpers and give me the chrome ones. This is like the last straw. Nothing works like it should and now we have to ride around in trucks that look like they have been through a war on top of it. We should all start writing to every truck magazine that said what great trucks these were and tell them what is really going on and how GM is just pretending we don't exist and every thing is just fine and dandy. Maybe a couple of pages of bad press will light a fire under your bosses butts.

I don't get it... & people on this thread are talking about 3M protection, etc.. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT ON A BRAND NEW TRUCK !!!

The bumper is only half the problem... remember the grill is also painted and will chip just as easily. Again, I only have a few small chips in 5K miles ... but one of them was on the painted grill. So far, I have just been touching up the paint as needed. you can't see any chips.

This chiping shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I know that I thought about this a lot before ordering the AT package. I knew in advance this could be an issue. But decided I had to have the AT... we all know it looks the best!

Just get some OEM touch up paint, don't tailgate or get a clear bra.. :driving:

Dude... You must work for corporate GM... getting kick backs for denial

My coworker has a Ford F150, I think 2010 model year with a painted steel front bumper. He has over 70k miles on the truck with no chips on the front bumper. It looks like Ford has used some kind of chip protection vinyl coating under that paint to prevent chipping. Why isn't GM doing the same thing? There is a way to or greatly reduce chipping on such bumpers, but it should not be at customer's expense, especially on a $ 50k vehicle.

If you have your bumper repainted under warranty, insist that they spray the "paint guard" coating on the bumper prior to painting it. GM uses this stuff on the rocker panels, so why not on the front bumper which is so vulnerable to damage from road debris? It will have more of orange peel appearance if that coating is sprayed on, but at least it will not chip easily.

• 3 weeks later...

any update on the plasti dip? i was just thinking about that when i headed over here to see if anyone else had done it. black bumper looks like hell after 5k miles. dealer says nope never heard of it, probably following someone too closely.

i have 5k city driving miles in almost 8 months. no way i'm going fast enough to tailgate and tear up paint like this.

Yes, I applied matte clear plasti-dip over a brand new 2015 Sierra Denali White Diamond for a local dealership as it is currently being used as a demo. Turned out great, and no rock chips yet!

Complete hood, fenders, front bumper (not grill, not chrome lower bumper).

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

Left: Matte Clear Dip Right: Factory WDT Paint

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

2015 Sierra Denali WDT with Matte Clear Plasti Dip next to 2014 Silverado High Country WDT with 3M Clear PPF

IMG_3110.jpg

So did anyone actually get their bumper re painted "once" under warranty... I want to hear about the people that actually got this done. I assume the dealers all are supposed to know about this... ?

Yes, my dealer repainted the front bumper "once" under warranty because of the low mileage and excess rock chips. Nothing was owed, they strongly recommended 3M.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought in my case it was something to do with the Onyx Black paint - but after hearing so many cases I believe it may be related to the prep work done on the metal. GM also replaced a set of wheels for me at no cost due to "pitting".

GM paid for my bumper to be repainted. I also had a small paint flake around the rear cargo light and tailgate handle which was taken care of at the same time. The autobody shop that painted my bumper, removed it completely to ensure it was stripped to the metal and then sprayed it. Hat's off to the quality in prep work and finish work by some of these shops.

Since it has been repainted (2 months) I havent noticed one chip - and they spread salt & sand on our roads up here.

Archived