In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

What have you done to your K2 today?

4 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Excellent info. I see that @jpinoy had 22" tires with a recommended psi of 35 and I'm guessing that the max cold pressure was probably 50lbs psi so recommended psi was at 30% under max. From what I saw for specs on the Firestone Destination X/T that he has is that they are LT Tires with a max cold pressure of 80lbs. 35psi would be way to low and even at 45, looking at the tire, it's visibly still too low and will end up wearing out the tread on sides quicker. If the max cold is 85, if it were me, I would increase to 56psi and use that as a starting point and then do the chalk test. 56psi would be 30% of max. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Excellent info. I see that @jpinoy had 22" tires with a recommended psi of 35 and I'm guessing that the max cold pressure was probably 50lbs psi so recommended psi was at 30% under max. From what I saw for specs on the Firestone Destination X/T that he has is that they are LT Tires with a max cold pressure of 80lbs. 35psi would be way to low and even at 45, looking at the tire, it's visibly still too low and will end up wearing out the tread on sides quicker. If the max cold is 85, if it were me, I would increase to 56psi and use that as a starting point and then do the chalk test. 56psi would be 30% of max. 

Yeah, max load 3305@80psi cold is what is on the tire. I used this site to convert from OEM to new tire, and it states 45 psi. But that would be based on the load, since max load would be 3305@80psi. Max psi on my OEM tire stated 2337@44psi.

https://tirepressure.com/tire-pressure-calculator

405123638_1058500615279035_2925869661028437928_n.thumb.jpg.64296147fc2bb6398fba2f54c06fccfa.jpg

Edited by jpinoy

9 hours ago, jpinoy said:

When it stops raining and time, I might give this a try. Saw some YouTube vids on doing it this way.

Rock on. Tire pressure has always been hit or miss due to the wide amount of variables.  

This method along with 3k rotations will help get the most mileage out of the tires.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Rock on. Tire pressure has always been hit or miss due to the wide amount of variables.  

This method along with 3k rotations will help get the most mileage out of the tires.

Agreed. Even that link mentions load variable plays a roll in your tire pressure. 

Hmmm 3k rotations, I'll have to give that a try. Always just did it per maintenance schedule. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jpinoy said:

Agreed. Even that link mentions load variable plays a roll in your tire pressure. 

Hmmm 3k rotations, I'll have to give that a try. Always just did it per maintenance schedule. 

Yessir. I've been a fan of 3k tire cross rotation since youth. Nothing more satisfying then seeing tires wear equally. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Homewrecker007 said:

If you buy Nitto or toyo tires you can call and give them tire and vehicle info and an engineer will figure it out for you. I've never tried it myself but that's what I heard you can do.

Interesting... would be a good selling point. 

My experience:
35x12.5x18 BFG all terrain tires on 9" rims, the sweet spot for road driving is 37-39 PSI.
Tires are wearing evenly after two years.
JMO, YMMV.

Edited by MikeBMW

1 hour ago, MikeBMW said:

My experience:
35x12.5x18 BFG all terrain tires on 9" rims, the sweet spot for road driving is 37-39 PSI.
Tires are wearing evenly after two years.
JMO, YMMV.

I hate flat tires so I run 8 or 10 plys I run no less then 45 psi any less and it seems to destroy the life of the tire in my experience anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Homewrecker007 said:

I hate flat tires so I run 8 or 10 plys I run no less then 45 psi any less and it seems to destroy the life of the tire in my experience anyway. 

I had a contractor with BFG 34s (metric equivalent) and he complained how stiff his truck was riding. He had them at 45 PSI.
I mentioned he should run them at 35-39 on the road.
He came back much happier after doing so.
Both of these instances are on 10 ply tires (mine and his).
Depending on your rim width, higher pressures will only wear on the top of the tires.
Put on some 12" rims and a 12.5" tire, might be a different experience.
IMO 45 PSI is way to high for on the road given my rim width at 9".

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 12:15 AM, MikeBMW said:

I had a contractor with BFG 34s (metric equivalent) and he complained how stiff his truck was riding. He had them at 45 PSI.
I mentioned he should run them at 35-39 on the road.
He came back much happier after doing so.
Both of these instances are on 10 ply tires (mine and his).
Depending on your rim width, higher pressures will only wear on the top of the tires.
Put on some 12" rims and a 12.5" tire, might be a different experience.
IMO 45 PSI is way to high for on the road given my rim width at 9".

I also believe that the brand of tire could very these results. The Cooper tires I ran before could have benefited running them at a lower psi. All of my other tires seem to be wearing evenly at 45 psi. Except for the 2018 Sierra my driving is 50/50 on and off road. 

• Like 2

Dropped off the grille and upper bumper piece for the All Terrain at the body shop. Roughly 3 weeks and $600 I'll have them back. Ordered new high beam bulbs for the 2013 sierra and got the tires rotated. Also bought a cheap toolbox to go in the 2013 so I can get all the tools out of the cab. 

• Like 1