Getting ready for Line-X

Sort of a two part question here. I've never had a spray in liner but I've decide to go with Line-x. I found a dealer close by that's been doing them for years so I feel they'll do a good job. Question though, is there anything I should think to ask them to do or not do? I'm going under the rail with the standard Line-x for $549. Should I ask them to do anything special during the prep? Also, is now the time to think about where I'd like additional cargo hooks and add them before the spray? I just want to be prepared since this is my first time going spray on. On my prior trucks I always did the plastic bedliner.

Second question is, where does everyone go online to buy truck accessories? I've bough from Summit a few times. Which online reseller is your favorite?

My local dealer puts a sticker on the back window. Ask if they do that and if you don't want it ask them not to put it on

I have purchased from realtruck.xom quite a few times. Summit is also good for performance parts

Ryan

Your photo shows you got the truck at Portsmouth Chevy right? I got my 2011 there and they did Line-X in house back then at least. My 2011 doesn't have the same cargo system as yours and all the cargo management ports were sprayed over but you could just pull all the plugs or ask them to mask off that area. They put a sticker on mine too that I'm pretty sure I scraped off in their lot. :lol: And x2 on what Ryan said- Summit is good for go fast stuff and though I only ordered once from realtruck.com, I was very happy. I ordered the tonneau late morning on a Friday (when you call someone picks up the phone which I kinda like). I was installing it Saturday afternoon and I only paid standard shipping.

Yup, I bought mine at Portsmouth Chevy. Good point about the sticker...I'll tell them ahead of time to keep their sticker to themselves LOL. I'll ask what they mask off. The new Portsmouth Chevy building doesn't do Line-X on site but they have a guy they send you to on Rt1. There's a guy over in Bow NH thats been doing it for years and I feel good about. It's closer to home so I plan on going there.It's tempting to buy a set f those bolt on hooks and attach them now before getting it sprayed but I'm not sure.

They sprayed over my plastic covers for the extra mounting points without asking, anyway to resolve that? Also, I decided to keep the plastic GM tailgate cover on, as when loading things I like the plastic, they slide easier than the Linex. I also went under the rail, and kept the factory rail covers, which I think look much nicer. Only issue is, they wanted to Linex under the plastic tailgate cover and reinstall and I said okay, originally wanting them to just skip the tailgate. Long story short now it falls alot quicker due to the extra weight. The slow drop feature still works, but not as nice, and them linex-ing under the cover did just about nothing, as the cover covers 98% of the Linex under it. If I did it again I would tell them to skip the tailgate. I also bought the GM rubber mat and placed it over the Linex. I think it's a great combo, protection and no slide.

You should be able to take a good knife to cut out the other covers. As for the rest I can't offer much. I've never had an issue sliding things across the tailgate and since my 2011 doesn't have the assisted drop there is no issue with the added weight. And for what it's worth, under the rail is the only option on new trucks. Under those covers the metal is swiss cheese.

I have over the rail LineX and when I was getting it done, was told by a commercial fisherman friend to have them wrap the LineX down from the bottom of the bed on the back of the truck about 1-1.5" so that the gap between the tailgate and bed was protected when open and loading loose materials. Can't remember what he called it - it has some name apparently.

IMO it looks better when the tailgate is not on the truck as it's a straight line and more importantly, it has definitely protected the truck. I had a plastic liner in my old truck and the tailgate/bed gap was all scratched/dented from relatively light use - my trucks are really never used to their potential. My LineX guy sprayed the tailgate and bedsides of the gap so that both sides are protected. Came out very nice. LineX is worth every penny.

That price seems high.
I talked to the Line-x dealer in Indianapolis this past weekend at the Boat Sport and Travel Show. They said standard price for under the rail with the 6.6 bed is $425, then they were running a show special for $50 off. So I'm taking my truck in weekend after next to get it down for $375.

• 1 month later...

I just had my Z71 LTZ done by Bulletliner for $399 out the door. Bulletliner was started by one of the original founders of Line-X, from what I am told. Looks great.

When I had mine done in 2011 there was an additive they charged a bit more for that added UV protection (and a lifetime fading warrenty). You can have your tech do designs if you want. Sports symbols, school letters, gm badging. Here is one I found online with the bowtie.

100_1670.jpg

Archived