Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

I can tell you guys, there is no way to get the dealer to update the BCM. It wont happen at all now or in the near future. The dealer can only program your BCM with the calibration that is on file on the system for the VIN of your truck. The backdoor of using a VIN from another vehicle was closed out by GM after the 2013 models.

Only way for BCM programming as of now is thru Chris White. I would ask if it is a feature he can handle, if he can make sure you never allow the dealer to update your BCM because if they do it will over-write any changes that Chris makes to the BCM.

• Like 1

Pgamboa, ok, so how is the puddle light supposed to work, just curious.

Thanks

Puddle Lamp works only at night (or by covering the ambient light sensor on your dashboard - Black dome looking thing).

When you unlock the doors, the puddles come on. When you enter, close the door, start - they turn off. When you shut the vehicle off, open the door, they turn on. Very similar to the dome lights but they turn on/off with the door opening/closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I've noticed mine is when I unlock the door.

If they come on during the daytime, they are acting like Park Lamps. Puddle Lamps only come on at night. Which means tour Puddle lamps might come on when they are not supposed to.

I would check the behavior with your DRL on/off, regular lights etc. daytime/night. Etc

Well I guess the power fold was not intended for snow. We got a few inches of snow in Tahoe yesterday and when I got back to my truck the power fold mirrors would not work. To much snow stuck between the folding areas. Thankfull I had a can of Preston de-icer in the cab. After a few sprays I got them to open and close. Just an FYI, do not fold the mirrors in the snow!

• Like 1

Rick08 - The reason this appears to be working is because:

- Turn Signal Circuit is pinned correctly.

- Your Puddle Lamps are functioning as Park Lamps and not as true Puddle Lamps.

If I understand correctly, if they are functioning as park lamps they would be on most of the time with DRL?

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, if they are functioning as park lamps they would be on most of the time with DRL?

I believe so. I don't have Tow Mirrors or a truck that has the clearance lamps like 2500/3500 HD trucks do so I cannot comment on their behavior, but I would imagine these lamps come on whenever your Park Lamps (Tail Lamps) are on. Which is out of the Park position.

I suppose I can put a test light to those circuits and confirm their behavior.

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 1

Well I guess the power fold was not intended for snow. We got a few inches of snow in Tahoe yesterday and when I got back to my truck the power fold mirrors would not work. To much snow stuck between the folding areas. Thankfull I had a can of Preston de-icer in the cab. After a few sprays I got them to open and close. Just an FYI, do not fold the mirrors in the snow!

Just an FYI, My 2013 had power folding mirrors and during a brief ice storm they were folded in at my work place. One ceased to function after I tried to unfold the mirrors. My curd side was shielded better because of the wind driven freezing rain and it was fine, but the driver's side was toast. These mirrors only have plastic gears in them and are NOT very heavy duty.

I carry a few plastic grocery bags with me in case freezing rain is in the forecast.

• Like 2

Good tips on the ice factor. Never thought about carrying plastic bags. We don't get ice often in Dallas, but have had some cold winters in past years with a wintry mix possibly this week.

• Like 1

I normally use my folding mirrors when driving into my garage so I can get close to allow the wife as much room to get her buggy in and out. But the heater in the mirrors does a great job on dew on the mirror surface and pretty good with some snow but a coating of ice takes awhile to get melted off. You don't ever want to scrape on the mirrors because no matter how easy you may scrape it leaves scratches on the glass. Don't ask me how I know... :banghead:

• Like 2

Thanks 1baddad. I just purchased all the items and am getting ready to install new folding mirrors, relay and momentary switch into my 2013 Silverado. Need to fold those mirrors to fit into my new garage with a smaller door. Will probably also wire up the puddle lights. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of the info!

Just an FYI, My 2013 had power folding mirrors and during a brief ice storm they were folded in at my work place. One ceased to function after I tried to unfold the mirrors. My curd side was shielded better because of the wind driven freezing rain and it was fine, but the driver's side was toast. These mirrors only have plastic gears in them and are NOT very heavy duty.

I carry a few plastic grocery bags with me in case freezing rain is in the forecast.

I was afraid of that scenario! Luckily I stopped my girlfriend from trying to manually fold the mirror.

you know what else doesn't work great in snow and ice , everything!

-40 currently here.... so I'm a bit bitter i can't do much outside except for keep trying to push the snow with my quad somewhere .... december was a record snowfall for us here 42" in one month , last record above that was like in 1920 so yeah.... anyway.......

unfortunately still not much progress on my mirror upgrade - however i will say purchasing even one additional door harness to harvest wires from and place into the existing harness is proving to be an amazing decision , recap : i picked up a pair of DL8 harnesses on kijiji for 50$ , just stripped the wires from the mirror plug 510 to door plug 500 by carefully removing all tape and grommets , unclipping pin keepers and gently pulling the pins from the connectors . i harvested the needed wires from the passenger harness and my intent now is to add them to the spare driver side harness i have so it becomes plug and play when i get my door panel off , then will only have to remove my passenger harness add the 2 wires (plus ground jumper) and shazam there it is.

thanks again thus far for everyone on this forum for giving me the confidence to do this . I'm fairly mechanically inclined , but when it comes to finest work with wires i know usually about enough to get myself in trouble... but the advice , links and experience here has helped greatly!!

will update as my build goes on... hoping to get out and do some ice fishing this weekend , but in the weeks to come may try and get into my companys shop for a Saturday to do the swap. either way i will be taking pictures along the way and pass along any interesting findings.

• Like 2