Dash speakers

With the Bose setup, the dash speakers are acting as midranges and tweeters. The frequency range of the signal is different then that of the door speakers in that the door speakers are providing some of the lows and midrange, but the high frequencies are cutoff. Hope that makes sense.

Here are some pictures of an RTA reading of each of the three signals.

Dash Signal

RTA_2014_Sierra_Bose_System_High.jpg

Door Signal

RTA_2014_Sierra_Bose_System_Mid.jpg

Sub Signal

RTA_2014_Sierra_Bose_System_Low.jpg

I am currently using a Mosconi 6to8V8 for my digital processing. I changed from the Audison Bit One simply for the ease of use and the controller. The really cool thing I have found with my processor is the fact I can sum the channels how I want. Realizing that the Bluetooth output and chimes are only on the left front dash speaker, I limit the use of that signal to exactly that of highs and am cautious to sum that channel to the other speakers in the system. Since my three way setups are mainly on the dash area, I keep that signal contained there and do not allow it to be passed to the doors or sub which will happen if you sum all channels using something like an Audiocontrol or like processor.

That being said, in my system, the dash speakers get the dash signal, the doors get the door signal, and the sub gets a mixture of the door and sub signal. At least that's the way I have it now. Still tuning, as the system is not yet completed. Progress can be seen on my build linked below.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the great information! Interesting that the dash speakers aren't just tweeters - although I am planning on putting components up front with tweeters in the dash. I wonder if the Bose front speakers get get a full range signal from the amp or if they are crossed over in the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Bose setup, the dash speakers are acting as midranges and tweeters. The frequency range of the signal is different then that of the door speakers in that the door speakers are providing some of the lows and midrange, but the high frequencies are cutoff. Hope that makes sense.

I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for the images and information. This is perfect on deciding how to wire a system if a person doesn't want to use an aftermarket digital processor. I would love to use this information in a write up later next month.

Edited by shiro

Thanks a lot for the images and information. This is perfect on deciding how to wire a system if a person doesn't want to use an aftermarket digital processor. I would love to use this information in a write up later next month.

Glad I could help. Keep in mind, just taking a low signal for the sub, will in essence leave out a lot of signal that can only be gain from including the signal from the doors as well.

Just picked up a set of BOSE tweeters, GM #10302944 , were listed as GM truck, but only reference I can find is for late model Cadillac (I have heard sound system in '15 Caddy XTS, it did sound pretty good). These are 1.75" diameter, definitely a lot smaller than the factory dash speakers. Appears to be a very good quality speaker.

post-139324-0-54349800-1448926476_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Had some free time today, tried out the Bose GM #10302944 mid-tweets I had picked up. Factory speaker uses a 100uf cap which puts the crossover at about 400hz, I only had caps here to crossover at about 1200hz, that was much too high, left nothing in the midrange. For comparison I tried these without any high pass filter (bass cut on head unit only), speakers were bright enough with decent mids but no where near enough volume to fill the truck.

I cannot confirm these are the correct Bose dash speakers but they seem to be. It is not my listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231750900417?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With the exception of having a Bose logo on the speaker and not having an integrated high pass filter, these look identical to the factory non-Bose dash speakers.

• 3 years later...
On 3/29/2014 at 11:59 PM, o7bodybagged said:

Do any of the 2014 silverados have dash speakers??????

Yes my 2015 Silverado double cab rally 2 edition NON BOSE came with  dash speakers. They are 2.75. Also Memphis audio sellls a direct replacement coaxial  my personal opinion put a set of component tweeters with a crossover  because the doors and dash speakers are hooked to the same signal

• Like 1

On 3/29/2014 at 11:59 PM, o7bodybagged said:

Do any of the 2014 silverados have dash speakers??????

Yes my 2015 Silverado double cab rally 2 edition NON BOSE came with  dash speakers. They are 2.75. Also Memphis audio sellls a direct replacement coaxial  my personal opinion put a set of component tweeters with a crossover  because the doors and dash speakers are hooked to the same signal

On 11/14/2015 at 1:43 PM, shiro said:

I've been slowly doing my own system upgade and taking pictures along the way. I hope to creat a nice build list once I am finished. But to answer your question(s)... I know for the bose setup these are the speakers sizes:

Front Dash: 2.5" @ 3.2ohms (with bracket is about 2 3/4")

Front Door: 6x9" woofer @ 2ohms (bose)

Back Door: 5.25" spearker @ 3.5ohms (bose)

Subwoofer: 5.25" @ 1ohm (bose with bucket seats)

To remove the dash speakers you will need to remove the pillar covers/trim first on both sized. The passenger side will have two bolts for the "oh sh1t" handle. Then you can pry up the speaker grill. It is one piece going from both sides (connecting both speaker grills). Be sure to be mindful of the sensor for your automatic lights. the cable is short and if you forget you can break the connector for the wires.

Can u add Bose speakers to a non Bose truck? As I have two Bose speakers fo the dash i wanted to install wasn’t sure if they were plug and play 

45 minutes ago, Frankielozano214 said:

Can u add Bose speakers to a non Bose truck? As I have two Bose speakers fo the dash i wanted to install wasn’t sure if they were plug and play 

The Bose dash speaker has a different plug and does not have the built in "crossover" (just a capacitor to filter out the low end)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frankielozano214 said:

So I should try to swap better off buying aftermarket speakers?

What I found lacking the most in my stock dash speakers was no top end and the Bose in my buddies truck wasn't much better than the non Bose in that aspect IMO. I originally experimented with just replacing the dash speakers with tweeters and a passive crossover from a set of components I had with the stock 6x9. Not ideal to use a crossover that wasn't designed for the specific speaker but it sounded much better IMO and in any case my personal choice was to replace everything but it all depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade.