Scan Tool, which one?

I paid close to 500 for that, but I have seen some knocks offs for 300. I like that as it works nice on my wifes g8 as well. I just wish I could update software and i really think I need an MDI or the mongoose, but I am not sure how often I will need to update software. The guy I know at a dealer can get me a new mdi for 800-900, but without the software subscription it isn't worth a lot, but for 55$ for 3 days, it might be worth something.

• 2 months later...

TPMS reset can be done without a tool. This works on my 2011 GMC 2500HD. I think it works on most up to 2012(think they changed that year). Earlier models used the light switch instead of the lock buttons on the key fob. Switch the lights back and forth from Auto to Parking Light 4 times in 4 seconds to activate.

CLEAR TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR ERROR ON DIC (DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER)

The tire pressure monitor (TPMS) system uses the passenger door module (PDM), the body control module (BCM), the remote key fob, the 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors in the tire valves, and the serial data circuit to perform the sensor learn mode functions.

LEARN MODE DESCRIPTION

In order to read correctly, the sensors relearn procedure must be performed any time the PDM is replaced, a tire sensor is replaced, or after the vehicle's tires have been rotated. Once the relearn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors' unique identification code can be programmed ("learned") into the PDM's memory. When a sensor's ID code has been learned, the PDM sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it’s ID code and the PDM has received it. As soon as the first sensor ID code is learned, all other IDs are erased from the PDM's memory.

LEARN MODE CANCELLATION
The TPM system will cancel the learn mode if more than 2 minutes have passed and no sensors have been learned, or if the system has been in learn mode for more than 5 minutes. If the learn mode is canceled before any sensor has been learned, the PDM will remember all current sensor IDs and their locations.

STEP BY STEP:

1. Turn "ON" the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Hold down the Lock and Unlock on the remote key fob until the horn chirps twice and the Low Tire Relearn message shows on the DIC.

CAUTION: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

IMPORTANT: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition "OFF" to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.

4. Starting with the Left Front tire, increase or decrease the pressure for 8-10 seconds or until the horn chirps once. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.

5. After the horn chirps, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
B-- Right front C-- Right rear C-- Left rear

6. After all sensors have been “learned”, the horn will chirp 2 times. Then exit the learn mode by turning "OFF" the ignition.

7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended psi.

8. Check the dash DIC to see that the correct tire pressure is listed.

Take note: If you do a wheel rotation, they may still work fine. The only problem is that they won't read the correct tire. Let's say you did a same side tire rotation, front to back. Now let's say you get a nail in the driver side front tire, and the air leaks out. On your display, it will show that your driver side REAR tire is low on pressure. So best to do a TPMS reset. FYI – the Low Tire Warning will go on/off at 5psi under recommended on door jam.

Archived