EBCM configuration help

justfrfun

Question

I replaced the Electronic Brake Control Module on my 04 Yukon with a new one so then I took my Yukon in to the dealership to have the EBCM module programmed and an hour and half later they say they couldn’t program it because there was not an option in their MDI scan tool list for it to be programmed all though it showed codes for needing it done. I asked them if they could just use the Tech2 and get it done but apparently they don’t use them or won’t use them any more? Anyone ever hear of this? Any GM techs here have any ideas how to get this taken care of. I don’t feel like spending tons of money so a tech can sit there and try all day and I’m tired of looking at all the dash lights and hearing annoying chimes at startup.  Thanks. 04 Yukon with JL4 active brake control. 

5 answers to this question

A dealer without a Tech2? WTF! You don't have to use a Tech2 but never seen a dealer without one. Tech2Win will work via MDI. As I remember, those older trucks used 2 different EBCM's. One required programming via SPS and one did not. The one that did not I think needed a setup procedure via Tech2 or Tech2Win. Just going from memory though and it ain't always perfect.

Edited by tbarn

Your dealer is stupid.  They should have an application on a laptop in their shop called Tech2Win which is an entire Tech 2 installed right to the laptop.  MDI/MID 2 are just the interface connected to the laptop.  They should have zero issues reprogramming anything on your truck, unless there was a communications issue with the module/modules.         

Edited by newdude

I went through this on a '07 Sierra - no shops in my area had the capability to reprogram the stupid thing. Didn't go to the dealer though - the guy's bill was high enough as it was.  He was fine with the ABS light being on - just needed to pass MA inspection.  

Real fine system GM has engineered here. Can't just let people replace their own parts - have to rope them into MORE money via programming. It's a f'ing criminal scam!! :mad:

Guess I might as well spend another couple grand on programming tools, since nobody in my area has them. I'll have the market cornered!

I went to numerous Detroit area GMC dealers to have my 2001 Sonoma EBCM reprogrammed for an axle ratio change from 4.10 to a 3.08 ratio. This has been going on for the last 4 years.

I'm only 21 miles from the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan where all the possible solutions sit.

I find in uncanny that no tech, dealership in a 50 mile radius has the capacity to access the EBCM to make this simple change. I even went to the level of offering $500 cash to any tech that has the proper equipment to make this change. 4 years later, ...no takers.

It's either the dealerships / techs don't have the equipment or have the knowledgebase to change the axle value.

Edited by Motor City Rick

For something like that, you need to hit a speed shop. Plenty of them out there, but you might have to drive a bit.

We've got a few around, but they're restricted by this state's government ... but plenty of other states around us will happily change whatever we want on our vehicles or hot rods.

I barely trust dealerships when the truck is new and under warranty - they'd be dead last on my list for ANYTHING. Plenty of private shops around.

Edited by Jsdirt