Do you carry your spare?

LaserBlueZ71

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are getting bigger tires I would consider buying 5. I run into guys all the time with their 35's and 37's and no spare. Sometimes no matter what you have for plugs or tire slime can patch a hole. Especially sidewall damage.

But if you feel a spare is useless to you it's your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought people were having problems with 99-06 spares not releasing from under the vehicle due to a stuck cable or rust

Likely because they hadn't ever lowered it in several years. It's a cable assembly, it should get some general maintenance from the to time.

A few weeks back crossed paths with a guy who couldn't get his wheel off his truck. He had been there a few hours. I offered to give him a hand as there was no cell service. Frig, beating on that thing with a mallet wasn't going to loosen it. Never had the wheels off his truck in the 2 years he owned it. No idea how he made out after we drove 40 mins down the ride to call for assistance.

I thought people were having problems with 99-06 spares not releasing from under the vehicle due to a stuck cable or rust

I dunno. I have a 2014 and had the misfortune of having to use it and it came down very easy.

Likely because they hadn't ever lowered it in several years. It's a cable assembly, it should get some general maintenance from the to time.

A few weeks back crossed paths with a guy who couldn't get his wheel off his truck. He had been there a few hours. I offered to give him a hand as there was no cell service. Frig, beating on that thing with a mallet wasn't going to loosen it. Never had the wheels off his truck in the 2 years he owned it. No idea how he made out after we drove 40 mins down the ride to call for assistance.

How do i do maintenance on mine? 2002 in illinois never removed/lowered

I always had the safe feeling from having the spare until I needed it for the first time and it didn't fit over the rear calipers.. lol.

I put it on and the truck didn't move. So many years of false security!

With all the different roadways and terrains I drive through I keep my spare (and latch/cable) ready and waiting. I've only had to use it a couple of times but both times would have left me screwed out of luck if I didn't have it. I was in a no reception, middle of no where area. If you ever drive in Alaska or the Alaska highway (in my case I have done both and in both directions) you will want that spare too.

Has anyone ever replaced the lock for the spare access? It was lost when I left it on the rear bumper and took off.

No but they can't cost that much and like the tailgate should be self-keying so all you do is insert your key, turn it and the lock is then matched.

I think you guys are right. Better to have it and not need it versus needing it and not having it!

Any products out there besides a bicycle cable lock that would keep a spare tire secure in the bed of the truck?

Archived