Up-sizing wheels & tires while keeping OEM spare

Rewillia

thanks for your input. Please clarify for me however... are you saying you need a new winch cable for the 20 or the 22"? also, would you mind snapping a photo of the OEM 20" under your truck? The service department insists it will not fit

thanks

No. You need a new winch cable for the 22" only. The OEM winch cable will work fine for OE rim sizes up to 20". Your service dept. is FOS the 20" will fit for certain and just fine (at least it does on my '14 K1500 Denali CC)

The spare tire area has lots of room for a bigger spare. It has so since where are you going to lift your stockers to if/when you get a flat.

The 17 in spare I believe is standard and only option from the factory - because it's cheaper then the matching alloys.

The only time you'll run into a problem with a larger tire is if you have duals that were tucked close the spare.

I run 34's on 20's and have a matching 34 inch spare on an 18. There's plenty of room for the taller spare, looks like a 35 and maybe a 37 would fit. It's definitely worth investing in a matching height spare if you're running oversize tires; otherwise that spare is kind of useless. It's also worth carrying a block to put under your jack, or else you might find you can't lift your truck high enough to change that oversize tire.

No. You need a new winch cable for the 22" only. The OEM winch cable will work fine for OE rim sizes up to 20". Your service dept. is FOS the 20" will fit for certain and just fine (at least it does on my '14 K1500 Denali CC)

Is the winch cable that much longer for the 22"? Because if the wheel width is similar to factory, shouldn't the stock wheel drop cable work? I understand needing a longer cable for a lifted truck, but not for larger diameter wheels - just wondering.

Per the order guide, there is only two different spare tire wheels. The 17" steel wheel, which is standard on all cab configurations except the 1500 crew cab short box 4x4.

K15543 (crew cab short box 1500 4x4) 1WT, 2WT, 1LT, and 1LTZ get the aluminum spare wheel when equipped with the 4.3 or 5.3, and have 17 or 18 inch wheels. Not available with the 20" or 22".

K15543 (crew cab short box 1500 4x4) 2LT and 2LTZ get the aluminum spare wheel when equipped with the 4.3 or 5.3.

Two tire sizes, trucks that come with the 255/70/17 tires get a 255/70/17 spare tire, and trucks with 265/70/17 and 265/65/18 get the 265/70/17 spare tire.

Wouldn't have 2 different tire sizes in the rear with a limited slip diff cause damage?

That's what they're getting at with the topic. Otherwise, if you don't upsize your spare and get a flat, you need throw the small on the front and put an oversize on the rear.

Is the winch cable that much longer for the 22"? Because if the wheel width is similar to factory, shouldn't the stock wheel drop cable work? I understand needing a longer cable for a lifted truck, but not for larger diameter wheels - just wondering.

All I know is my dealer's parts manager looked it up for my '14 K1500 Denali which came with the OE 20" wheels and told me the following;

1. if I want to replace the OE 17" spare tire rim with another 20" OE Denali wheel the original cable will work (and it did)

2. if my truck had come factory equipped (not dealer installed) with the optional 22" wheel then the winch cable is longer

3. GM offers 2-two spare winch cables. one for the standard wheels up to 20" and one for the optional size 22"

I had 305/30/26 tires and used the OEM spare on 2 separate occasions when I had a flat driver front tire. The 1st time was only for a few days, but the 2nd time was for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Ended up just taking the aftermarkets off & going back to factory. I'll probably get rid of the spare though when I add the 2.5" or 3.5" level with 33's.

Just curious as to how many here have up-sized their wheel and tire size on the ground yet kept their OEM spare.

Don't do it. I upsized my spare to match the 34's I'm running, plenty of room underneath to accommodate the spare. Also helps to carry a block so the stock jack will lift your truck high enough with the oversize tires. If you're spending the money on oversize tires, drop a little extra to get the matching spare. The first time you have to use it you'll be glad you did.

Don't do it. I upsized my spare to match the 34's I'm running, plenty of room underneath to accommodate the spare. Also helps to carry a block so the stock jack will lift your truck high enough with the oversize tires. If you're spending the money on oversize tires, drop a little extra to get the matching spare. The first time you have to use it you'll be glad you did.

Thats what i did, purchased a 5th 20" OEM Denali rim and 5th Toyo OC II Xtreme 295/55/R20 now all 5-wheels/tires match.

Archived