Gas Pedal Flex Solution

FL335i

I had done this a while ago but for anyone tat wants instant throttle response, try Pedal Commander or Sprint booster and whatever other throttle signal modifier is out there.

I have PC and it def works great. Im in sport +2 mode and all it needs is a small tip in and the truck just reacts instantly. No it doesnt add power but you will love driving your truck. Price should be cheaper but still its worth it. I got it used off fleebay.

This message is for ChevTech77. You stated in this thread about a half dozen pages back that this is the way Chevrolet Engineers designed the gas pedal for our 14-18 K2’s because the Chev 900 series had complaints of Vibraion when in AFM mode. 

CAN YOU EXPLAIN THAT?  So you’re saying that a slight vibration is going to interfere with Gas Mileage in our new trucks?

please come back and explain, cause a lot of us are not Techs as yourself and would like to know why Chev designed the pedal with flex in it. 

Thank you

• 3 months later...

I’m gonna bump this for all the new guys like myself. Paint stick worked like a charm. I loosened the nut and pulled the housing a little, made it easier to wedge the stick in there. Tightened it back, can’t even see it. Definitely more responsive, it’s not a Diablo tuner fix but it’s free and made a big difference. Nice job OP..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

bump, i must be lucky because mine doesn't move at that point.  i have a 2014 AT with adjustable pedals. I do have some play and wiggle in mine but its where the sliding parts of the adjustment apparatus is.  I have no movement at the firewall. mine actually has a black plastic piece behind that lower bolt part that holds it tight to the firewall. mine moves right to left about 3 mm. i cut some thick rubber and crammed it in between the 2 pieces causing it to not wiggle. 

i was disappointed to say the least. i was hoping for at least some flex at the firewall.

i will say, after driving it for a week after doing this, it does drive better. Throttle response is much better.  

Edited by tig488
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I picked up a 17 Yukon Denali with adjustable pedals a couple months ago. I thought the light throttle acceleration was "soft" and vague. An example of this is when i back it into the driveway. It is a very short drive, not too much bigger than the truck itself and it is pitched forward. I am backing up  a very short hill. Having the vagueness in the pedal made it a bit interesting trying not to put the truck through the tiny garage door.

I ran across this thread and thought that what is described here sounded a helluva lot like what i felt, and not just while backing into driveway. Did a bit of showing off with a brake torque and I could really feel the vibration, in the entire assembly, as you have a foot on each pedal. 

So I cut a paint stir stick up and put a double thick piece in behind at the corner as there was a lot of flex in mine. Much better now. It is not like there is ~more~ power, it is the way it comes on. What i would call proper, with feedback.

This difference is felt on all of our off idle acceleration conditions we face in our daily drives. Lay off the pedal in busy conditions and get back on it, the vague "lag" as you depress the pedal is near completely gone. 

The one really nice change with this repair is with the 1-2 shift. Quite a bit quicker now. I like this. Under light acceleration it did feel like granny double clutching her old Studebaker, took forever and felt very weak.  Not any longer. 

As a whole, much better drivability with this mod, errr repair.

Thanks OP!

Dale

Edited by dale442

So far on these trucks I have tried tuning, bigger throttle body, adjusting the sensor on the peddle, and last but not least the paint stick trick.Everything improved throttle response slightly but there was always a present delay and bog before taking off that nothing seemed to cure.This is because no matter what you do the ecu is always going to command less throttle angle for a given pedal angle.I can only assume this is to keep from squeeling the tires at every stoplight and wasting a bunch of gas.The only thing that fixed this problem for me was a throttle controller.There are a bunch of them out there but what I never liked about them for one was the $300 price, that most couldnt be adjusted on the fly without causing problems, and also that when the throttle controllers failed just like a faulty TPS sensor they can immobilize a trucks throttle which can be dangerous.I ended up taking a gamble on a $150 throttle controller from Wind booster and it did everything that I needed, could be changed anytime on the fly while driving, and the moment you pull the wire on it the controller is no longer doing anything and the truck drives %100 like stock.If the paint stick trick doesnt quite do it for you I highly recommend trying this.They are on Ebay for around $150 but I picked one up on a $120 Ali Express sale

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048178516.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.78a84c4d5gVKzA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Response-Controller-for-Chevrolet-Sierra-1500-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-1500/303516709242?hash=item46ab01717a:g:nSoAAOSwdHtecJAg

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the paint stick as described above and I could immediately see a difference in throttle response.

I always tried avoid the delay or smooth out the bogging issue at take off by feathering the throttle, never mind having to use the brake and gas at the same time to back up a short driveway without slamming into the garage door.

It was an obvious issue after getting down and taking a look at the amount of flex for myself... it needed to be addressed!

As others have stated, I’m not claiming extra power or anything like that but there definitely is better throttle response now. No more feathering the gas pedal and hopefully no more riding the brake as I back up a short driving as I inch near the garage door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...