2015 8 speed transmission replaced with 3,000 miles on it

Gunner99

I may have sounded harsher in my initial reaction that I meant to, I am just pissed that it's the only major thing GM changed for the truck for 2015 and they still couldn't get it right. I can see how there is an issue they don't have a solution to, I'm just mad the issue is there to begin with. Maybe it's a supplier not manufacturing the part correctly or maybe when the engineers did a tolerance stack-up they missed it and designed it wrong. My fear is in an attempt to save the most money they are going to have TSB that only addresses the issue if the customer complains instead of actually fixing the root of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My truck started to develope a clunking noise when I started to acelarate from a stop. Also a shudder at 4000 rpms which eventually stopped. A clicking noise when I turned complately left or right at a very low speed and finally a vibration at speeds over 60 mph. At first the dealer recognized the noise but couln't pinpoint where it was coming from so they gave it back to me and said wait until it gets worse. I was to the point where I didn't even want the truck anymore. I've put 2000 miles on it since november 12 and haven't even been able to enjhoy it. Just driving to work and to the dealer. Afetr I was tired of driving the 30 miles one way to the GMC dealer, I took it to the dealer's sister Chevy dealer which is a lot bigger with more technicians. They have it now. I had to contact GM customer cares and open a case so here is the update. Also it seems that GM is wanting the dealer to make everythiung right while the dealer wants GM to do it. I'm caught in the crosshair wand making my payments.

Update.

They have my truck at their larger chevy dealer with their master tech looking at it. He test drove it with me yesterday and heard the noise. So he is aware of it. A side note is that on the 8 speed tranny, if there is a problem on the inside they can't open it but have to send it to where GM tells them. Kinda weird they aren't allowed to work on them.

The dealer offered that I cough up $3,000, get same payment same terms. The new truck would have a 5.3 6 speed instead of my current 6.2 8 speed. But it would have a sunroof and 4wd.( this one is at another dealer available to them now.) that's why the 3,000 difference for the downgraded engine and tranny and upgraded 4wd and sunroof. I only feel right paying a $1300 difference (the actual price difference in GMS) for upgrades because its not my problem that there is obvious problems with this new transmission so I'm not paying dealer fee,doc fee and tax, They can.

Second option is to keep my truck and they give me an extended warranty on it and make my payment while it gets fixed.

I'm not familiar with their extended warranty options though. Of course it comes with the standard 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper and 5yr/100,000 drivetrain. What do they offer longer than this?

Third option would be to order a truck exactly how I have mine but with the 5.3 6 speed and they let me drive something until it gets here.

I really desire the power of the 6.2 but don't have the patience for them to figure the tranny out. The tune needs to be updated on GM's part, if done aftermarket they can and will void a warranty.

All depends what the tech finds and how long to fix for my decision on which way to proceed.

But GM and dealer are working together now because the dealer can't provided anymore assistance than what they've offered.

I had to decline the 3,000 offer for the other truck and get GM back on board to work with dealer to come up with something. Its going to district now.

Opinion please?

Update

Truck is now at a third dealer. They called GM tac and were told a update that was in the works will not fix the problem. So they are sending a new tranny that has been updated differently from GM.

Oh yeah the third dealer originally thought it was the rear end having backlash that causing these clunking noises, now they are positive it was the tranny the whole time. And while truck was at the second dealer , they replace a couple tires that didn't pass road force because they were causing vibrations at 65mph.

GM customer reps supervisor is currently working as fast as she can to get the tranny here and to resolve the inconveniences everything has been. 2300 miles so far from traveling numerous times to all three dealers again and again until it came to this. Needed three tries just in case.

I'll keep you guys updated as to the outcome 2-6 weeks for the replacement to happen.

I had a chevy something, a compact suv without a phone charger for a rental. I'll post a pic soon. It was hilarious to leave them the denali and pull out in a car a third the cost. Apple to apples. I could barely fit in it.

My truck started to develope a clunking noise when I started to acelarate from a stop. Also a shudder at 4000 rpms which eventually stopped. A clicking noise when I turned complately left or right at a very low speed and finally a vibration at speeds over 60 mph. At first the dealer recognized the noise but couln't pinpoint where it was coming from so they gave it back to me and said wait until it gets worse. I was to the point where I didn't even want the truck anymore. I've put 2000 miles on it since november 12 and haven't even been able to enjhoy it. Just driving to work and to the dealer. Afetr I was tired of driving the 30 miles one way to the GMC dealer, I took it to the dealer's sister Chevy dealer which is a lot bigger with more technicians. They have it now. I had to contact GM customer cares and open a case so here is the update. Also it seems that GM is wanting the dealer to make everythiung right while the dealer wants GM to do it. I'm caught in the crosshair wand making my payments.

Update.

They have my truck at their larger chevy dealer with their master tech looking at it. He test drove it with me yesterday and heard the noise. So he is aware of it. A side note is that on the 8 speed tranny, if there is a problem on the inside they can't open it but have to send it to where GM tells them. Kinda weird they aren't allowed to work on them.

The dealer offered that I cough up $3,000, get same payment same terms. The new truck would have a 5.3 6 speed instead of my current 6.2 8 speed. But it would have a sunroof and 4wd.( this one is at another dealer available to them now.) that's why the 3,000 difference for the downgraded engine and tranny and upgraded 4wd and sunroof. I only feel right paying a $1300 difference (the actual price difference in GMS) for upgrades because its not my problem that there is obvious problems with this new transmission so I'm not paying dealer fee,doc fee and tax, They can.

Second option is to keep my truck and they give me an extended warranty on it and make my payment while it gets fixed.

I'm not familiar with their extended warranty options though. Of course it comes with the standard 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper and 5yr/100,000 drivetrain. What do they offer longer than this?

Third option would be to order a truck exactly how I have mine but with the 5.3 6 speed and they let me drive something until it gets here.

I really desire the power of the 6.2 but don't have the patience for them to figure the tranny out. The tune needs to be updated on GM's part, if done aftermarket they can and will void a warranty.

All depends what the tech finds and how long to fix for my decision on which way to proceed.

But GM and dealer are working together now because the dealer can't provided anymore assistance than what they've offered.

I had to decline the 3,000 offer for the other truck and get GM back on board to work with dealer to come up with something. Its going to district now.

Opinion please?

Update

Truck is now at a third dealer. They called GM tac and were told a update that was in the works will not fix the problem. So they are sending a new tranny that has been updated differently from GM.

Oh yeah the third dealer originally thought it was the rear end having backlash that causing these clunking noises, now they are positive it was the tranny the whole time. And while truck was at the second dealer , they replace a couple tires that didn't pass road force because they were causing vibrations at 65mph.

GM customer reps supervisor is currently working as fast as she can to get the tranny here and to resolve the inconveniences everything has been. 2300 miles so far from traveling numerous times to all three dealers again and again until it came to this. Needed three tries just in case.

I'll keep you guys updated as to the outcome 2-6 weeks for the replacement to happen.

I had a chevy something, a compact suv without a phone charger for a rental. I'll post a pic soon. It was hilarious to leave them the denali and pull out in a car a third the cost. Apple to apples. I could barely fit in it.

UPDATE:

GM shipped a new transmission yesterday and said it would be here in four days. In the meantime, Customer service is working with the district rep to see what they can do for compensation on the time, money and miles spent for frankly, dicking around, trying to get this thing fixed.
I know some of you say to just drive it and thats what a warranty is for. But I feel that when they sell a truck with a defective clutch pack and don't tell you about it until enough complaints get in, that calls for immediate resolution along with compensation. If we as individuals sit back and allow them to conduct business this way. Then they will continue to push the limits.
At least they are replacing the tranny as a whole. Now to see what they do for me on a another level. Almost 3000 miles. and countless hours and fuel money.

UPDATE:

GM shipped a new transmission yesterday and said it would be here in four days. In the meantime, Customer service is working with the district rep to see what they can do for compensation on the time, money and miles spent for frankly, dicking around, trying to get this thing fixed.

I know some of you say to just drive it and thats what a warranty is for. But I feel that when they sell a truck with a defective clutch pack and don't tell you about it until enough complaints get in, that calls for immediate resolution along with compensation. If we as individuals sit back and allow them to conduct business this way. Then they will continue to push the limits.

At least they are replacing the tranny as a whole. Now to see what they do for me on a another level. Almost 3000 miles. and countless hours and fuel money.

Hey Gunner99.....do you know what month/week your truck was built? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gunner99.....do you know what month/week your truck was built? Thanks!

10/14. They have my truck now. Will start the tranny install Monday and any applicable updates also. I hope this is it.

I'm starting to think GM should include a bottle of anal ease cream in the glove box when you buy anything new.

You know just in case.

I do think that they are coming around and making right what is wrong. Just took awhile and a lot of pushing from my side.

I just got bashed from a guy on another site that feels I'm complaining.

I don't care if I am or not at least my sh!t is getting fixed. Because its people like him that sit back and do nothing. Then GM thinks they can run allover the customer. Some of us have to stand up and push back.

Almost 3300 miles on it now. The transmissions has been replaced and the clunking I had when I accelerated from a stop appears to be gone.

I'll put a few hundred miles on it to make sure its fixed because it took about that long for the initial clunking to appear in the first place.

This isn't even my truck anymore. I feel like everyone has driven it almost like a chicks whose been gang-banged by the football team then turned back over to me.

Its in the body shop now being addressed for the scratches going down the sides of the truck and the third brake light was replaced from them running it through their automated car wash. When I get it back probably Tuesday I'll put the miles on it and let you guys know how she drives. hopefully your 8 speed trannys are either not defective clutchpacks like mine or they replace them altogether fast.

When I test drove it with the service manager today it seemed to be gone and shifted a lot better because they updated the tranny with #PI1388 update.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/ecotec3-6-2l-v8/my-awesome-review-50-000-denali-6-2-8speed-t333770.html

Here is a detailed thread I made from my experiences so far.

Yes. The purchasing dealer did. I ended up taking it to their sister chevy dealer owned by same owner because larger and better equipped to do service work .

This is the second dealer I went to through my three dealer ordeal to lemon law it. But thankfully they replaced the tranny at the third dealer. I just had tranny taken to this second dealer cause they were was closer and better equipped.

Long story, many headaches, phone calls and time

They make the 8 speeds here in Toledo OH. As a svc writer at a Chevy dealership most GM plant employees act a little holier than though bragging about the awesome transmissions they make...until the 8 speed came out. Even the boastful employees wouldn't buy a car/truck with that tranny, at least the ones I've talked to. Myself coming out of a badass mildly modded Trailblazer SS, I wanted a 6.2, and all the rebates were on the '15's, which ment 8 speed. At th time 8 speeds were on hold, and couldn't find a 6.2 8 spd close enough. So with all the 8 spd crap going on, I easily settled for leasing '15 5.3. By the time my lease is up, we'll be having this conversation about the 10 spd.

They make the 8 speeds here in Toledo OH. As a svc writer at a Chevy dealership most GM plant employees act a little holier than though bragging about the awesome transmissions they make...until the 8 speed came out. Even the boastful employees wouldn't buy a car/truck with that tranny, at least the ones I've talked to. Myself coming out of a badass mildly modded Trailblazer SS, I wanted a 6.2, and all the rebates were on the '15's, which ment 8 speed. At th time 8 speeds were on hold, and couldn't find a 6.2 8 spd close enough. So with all the 8 spd crap going on, I easily settled for leasing '15 5.3. By the time my lease is up, we'll be having this conversation about the 10 spd.

Yeah I can imagine the cluster**** with the 10 speed.

I just have the feeling GM knew about this defect they had with their clutch pack in the 8 speed and were only waiting for people to find out. Hoping they'd think its normal.

At least they are replacing my tranny. I wonder how they are going to handle everyone else's tranny.

Just a shame I had to go to three dealers for them to replace mine. Seems the government would step up and not allow such business practices to occur.

Yeah I can imagine the cluster**** with the 10 speed.

I just have the feeling GM knew about this defect they had with their clutch pack in the 8 speed and were only waiting for people to find out. Hoping they'd think its normal.

At least they are replacing my tranny. I wonder how they are going to handle everyone else's tranny.

Just a shame I had to go to three dealers for them to replace mine. Seems the government would step up and not allow such business practices to occur.

Hopefully everything should be ok now. You'd be surprised how much the dealership can do for someone if they want or can.

Hopefully everything should be ok now. You'd be surprised how much the dealership can do for someone if they want or can.

Yeah ur right. The dealer who eventually did the replacement is the second dealer which is a chevy one. Their the bigger sister of their franshise gmc dealer.

So now they look like captain save-a-hoe because they fixed gmc problem.

I don't care as long as my sh!t got fixed.

I'll put some miles on her when I pick it up from the body shop hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday and report back.

Gm will be calling me Tuesday but ima have to tell them I need more time to make sure the problems are gone.

If we all started a thread for just the 8 speed tranny riddled problems that would help everyone keep informed so they can get resolutions to theirs also.

Id be interested to know how many trucks left the plant similar to mine.

Are the corvette's and suv's also having issues?

Nah im pretty sure the vettes trannys are tuned differently and already tried and proven. The SUVs haven't seen an 8 speed till this year. 2015 is the first year they mated the 8 speed with a 6.2L.

Archived