How many miles do you typically put on a vehicle before getting rid of

How many miles do you typically keep a vehicle  

659 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

250-300K on some over the years. Have 2 right now north of 230K. Neither one have ever had a wrench to the engines or transmissions.

Change the oil regular, and keep up with normal maintenance, and they can last a long time. 200K isn't nothing, as long as you keep good oil in them. I've never had to rebuild an engine or tranny on any vehicle I have ever owned in the last 37 years.

I buy 'em to drive 'em, not trade 'em. And no, I don't fit in or agree with your model.

I will admit, this 2014 has me concerned for the long haul. Not the engine or tranny, the cheap azz paint and headlights.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

250-300K on some over the years. Have 2 right now north of 230K. Neither one have ever had a wrench to the engines or transmissions.

Change the oil regular, and keep up with normal maintenance, and they can last a long time. 200K isn't nothing, as long as you keep good oil in them. I've never had to rebuild an engine or tranny on any vehicle I have ever owned in the last 37 years.

I buy 'em to drive 'em, not trade 'em. And no, I don't fit in or agree with your model.

I will admit, this 2014 has me concerned for the long haul. Not the engine or tranny, the cheap azz paint and headlights.

Thinking they all have us concerned longevity wise no matter if it was a '94, an '04 or a '14 as you have when they are newer. It is not until they have earned their

stripes that we begin to trust what they can do. Then, if all goes well, they become the benchmark the next generation must live up to.

besides my new 15 Denali I have on order, I try to look for good condition higher mileage cars. My 04 denali has over 200k and runs like new. I'm the guy that buys all the guys car/trucks who want to upgrade every year before the car is even broken in. If 2015 didn't have the 8sp I would be looking for a 2014 6.2 denali.

Bought a pretty clean 2011 CTS V with 75k, everyone I know said I was stupid and I should have paid 10k more one with lower mileage. I just disagree. I would keep my 04 Denali but hate getting 12mpg and the extended cab isn't great for passengers and kids kicking the back on my seat. Plus I want the extra technology now that I drive the caddy, cooled seats/blutooth/rear bluray for the kids. Prolly will keep the truck for a while, but who knows.

I do think that once I start making more money and cars/trucks are getting more expensive keeping them in warranty does sound like a good plan. The more money I make I'm sure my toys will get more and more expensive

doesn't work for everybody I said that, but I think it works for a lot more people if they thought about it. A lot of it depends on your miles per year. For me to get to 200k equals 15-16 years. Which I don't care the cost if I can afford it Im not driving a truck for 15 years. I think the pace you get to the miles matters as well. If your the normal 12-15k a year it doesn't make sense, but if you get 20k miles a year plus, then yeah it probably makes sense to hold on to it, to 150k or so. 20k miles year highway is a lot different than 12-15 stop and start. Even on 200k that's 4 sets of tires at 8-10k, couple of batteries, couple brake jobs, exhaust, front end etc. It might also matter if you live in an area with salt, which I do, which means nothing really last more than 10 years until it starts falling apart.

What has me concerned is about vehicles in general in the last 5-10 years isn't necessarily the power train, As I think power trains are better now than ever as long as you take care of it. The issue I have is everything around it and the fact you cant work on anything anything anymore due to the electronics. Being nickled and dimed to death at the tune at 200 here, 800 here, 1200 here etc.

I never looked at what miles were on my previous 2 trucks. The first one which was an 86 Custom Deluxe C10 that I got in 2002 and got rid of in 2004 had over 200K on it. While the 98 I got rid of to get my '14 I had since '04 had just under 150K. I plan on keeping this '14 as long as it stays together and I plan on actually taking good care of this one. So I'm thinking I should get over 200K easily. I'm not the type that needs something new every few years and I surely don't like leases. If the 86 that I had would have been 4x4 I would have kept it as a play truck. Maybe one day I'll still get an 87 or older Chevy 4x4 truck, maybe even a K2 Blazer to play around in.

I had this same line of thought on my 2007. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles instead of 5,000 like the dealer said, I changed all my differential and tranny fluids around 50,000 miles, I drove the truck easy, put fuel system cleaners in it every oil change, and babied it as much as possible.

1) Speakers blew after 36,000 miles costing me $400 to replace.

2) Forward sprag in the transmission broke at 82,000 miles, but 6 years so it was out of warranty, costing me $2,200 to fix.

3) Finally at around 88,000 miles, it started burning 1-2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles.

The more I think about it, I think I will probably be unloading this 2014 around 100,000 miles and going the continuous car payment route and always having something new and reliable. If I do I definitely wont be wasting money on all of those fluid changes.

Your first year depreciation is about $15k, you can buy a lot of parts with $15k.

Depends on the truck you buy. I bought my 2010 5.3l 4wd Xcab Z71 new off the lot for $27,900.. Last year I traded it in for $20K off on 2014 4.3l 4wd Xcab Z71 with all star pack, step tubes, tonneau, bed liner that I paid $32,000 for.

So I lost $8000 on last truck, and seriously doubt the current truck is worth $17,000.. Am I going to lose more than $8000 on this one when I trade it in a couple years? I imagine.

But in return I'll get driving a new looking truck 3.5 years, will never be out of warranty on the costly stuff, and likely never break down. Not a bad trade IMO, but certainly not the "best bang for buck" solution.

I had my 06 GMC Canyon 3.5l and never ever left me stranded or major repairs 215,000 miles single cab so I believe keeping ur vehicles is not bad thing. Everyone has different perceptions. All these miles were on before 5yr warrty.

Depends on the truck you buy. I bought my 2010 5.3l 4wd Xcab Z71 new off the lot for $27,900.. Last year I traded it in for $20K of on 2014 4.3l 4wd Xcab Z71 with all star pack, step tubes, tonneau, bed liner that I paid $32,000 for.

So I lost $8000 on last truck, and seriously doubt the current truck is worth $17,000.. Am I going to lose more than $8000 on this one when I trade it in a couple years? I imagine.

But in return I'll get driving a new looking truck 3.5 years, will never be out of warranty on the costly stuff, and likely never break down. Not a bad trade IMO, but certainly not the "best bang for buck" solution.

Yeah my 2007 LT1 I bought was 26 and some change back in 07. Traded it in 2.5 years for 22. The 15k figure is way off the first year, maybe 10 if your lucky.

I had my 06 GMC Canyon 3.5l and never ever left me stranded or major repairs 215,000 miles single cab so I believe keeping ur vehicles is not bad thing. Everyone has different perceptions. All these miles were on before 5yr warrty.

Again that's a pre 2007 GM truck. Anything 2007 and newer and you're playing Russian roulette so to speak except most of the cylinders are loaded...........

I do think that once I start making more money and cars/trucks are getting more expensive keeping them in warranty does sound like a good plan. The more money I make I'm sure my toys will get more and more expensive

This statement is a critical in considering trade in\ upgrade.

My usual for the last three was 4 year note, 20-25k miles per year, trade around 40 months. I don't mind a truck note and like new shtuff. When I was younger I kept it til baling wire, duct tape and jb weld would no longer keep it running straight. But those were the days when if you found a hose sucking air you just stuck a bolt in the end of it and wire tied it down to something and rocked on. If it breaks now.... just call the wrecker. I'm sure you could find some fiduciary number crusher to give the absolute best scenario of when to from a nickel and dime aspect.

If you're itching for something new and shiny.... go get it! Ps... I'm a single man. You married men go buy some flowers and a bucket of chicken... talk sweet to momma... then go get it.

This statement is a critical in considering trade in\ upgrade.

My usual for the last three was 4 year note, 20-25k miles per year, trade around 40 months. I don't mind a truck note and like new shtuff. When I was younger I kept it til baling wire, duct tape and jb weld would no longer keep it running straight. But those were the days when if you found a hose sucking air you just stuck a bolt in the end of it and wire tied it down to something and rocked on. If it breaks now.... just call the wrecker. I'm sure you could find some fiduciary number crusher to give the absolute best scenario of when to from a nickel and dime aspect.

If you're itching for something new and shiny.... go get it! Ps... I'm a single man. You married men go buy some flowers and a bucket of chicken... talk sweet to momma... then go get it.

Thats kind of what I was saying. Was for one everybodys situation is different, and one idea wont work for everybody. But the idea of keeping things alive is getting antequated. To me time spent at the dealer or time spent in my driveway, is money as well. Gone are the days of tricking the computer or taping something together. Due to electronics you could throw parts at something till the cows come home and still not fix it.

I would challenge anybody to keep a log, receipts of everything you do to that vehicle while you own it. I would minus gas and oil changes as thats constant. But anything else add it up, if your were like me my time is money record how many hours spent dinking with it. Come new truck purchase time, see what that truck actually cost you over 2, 5 10 years of ownership or whatever it might be.

Thats kind of what I was saying. Was for one everybodys situation is different, and one idea wont work for everybody. But the idea of keeping things alive is getting antequated. To me time spent at the dealer or time spent in my driveway, is money as well. Gone are the days of tricking the computer or taping something together. Due to electronics you could throw parts at something till the cows come home and still not fix it.

I would challenge anybody to keep a log, receipts of everything you do to that vehicle while you own it. I would minus gas and oil changes as thats constant. But anything else add it up, if your were like me my time is money record how many hours spent dinking with it. Come new truck purchase time, see what that truck actually cost you over 2, 5 10 years of ownership or whatever it might be.

They are in the glove box of every vehicle I own in chronological order. I think you would find it a short boring couple minutes to look at them. Mostly oil changes, air filters, gas filters. Occasional fluid/coolant changes, spark plugs, tires, belt, battery, and brakes. That about sums it up. No engine or transmission problems, other than normal maintenance since 1976.

The 22 year old truck I keep in my barn still has the complete original stainless/aluminized exhaust on it. It was semi-retired back in 2003 with over 225,000 miles on it. I use it for odd jobs around the house/farm, and it has around a quarter million miles on it now. It don't owe me anything, but keeps on ticking. It's on it's fourth set of tires, and 2nd battery. The first battery lasted 8 years, and the 2nd battery is 14, yes 14 years old. My daily driver car (GM V6) has 233,000+ miles on it right now, and my 2014 truck gets driven to work 1, sometimes 2 days a week and currently has 15,000 miles on it. Been trying to keep the miles down early, and putting the miles on the car. The car will go 300,000+ easily.

I live in rural Michigan, the salt capitol of the nation. 2-1/2 miles from the nearest pavement. Yes, my vehicles go through hell, and that is why I prevent issues from happening early. I completely rust proof, undercoat, sound deaden, paint seal, and fabric guard my vehicle. This includes taking them in for their annual cleaning and reapplication where necessary. Vehicles don't last long around here, and any parking lot will show the toll it takes on the different makes and models. Some worse than others. I am concerned about the paint on these 2014's though. It is just so thin, it is not even funny, and only time will tell how that is going to pan out.

I will admit, I do it a little different than the average guy. I buy my vehicles outright, then at that time start setting aside money for the next one. That way, I am getting interest, instead of paying interest. If I traded often, I realize that this would be counter productive. My model has worked great for me over the years, but I also realize it is not for everyone. I drive too many miles for any type of lease, and I haven't had a monthly car payment since 1990. That was my '86 Camaro, which I still have 29 years later. I have owned several brand new vehicles, but I do get my monies worth out of them, for sure.

If you intend to drive a vehicle for the long haul, you have to start planning from day one. Oil changes are the lifeblood to the engines, and preventative measures to keep frame/body corrosion at bay need to seriously considered. Saves a lot of money down the road. If you trade every 4 years or so, then maybe not so much. The next owner will pay for it later!

Maybe I have been lucky? Or, maybe I have made my own luck through preventative measures that start from day one? Either way, I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Maybe after I retire, I may have a different model similar to yours? Allowing me to drive a new vehicle every couple years, since I won't be putting all those commuter miles on it driving back and forth to work? Time will tell, but in the mean time...........................

They are in the glove box of every vehicle I own in chronological order. I think you would find it a short boring couple minutes to look at them. Mostly oil changes, air filters, gas filters. Occasional fluid/coolant changes, spark plugs, tires, belt, battery, and brakes. That about sums it up. No engine or transmission problems, other than normal maintenance since 1976.

The 22 year old truck I keep in my barn still has the complete original stainless/aluminized exhaust on it. It was semi-retired back in 2003 with over 225,000 miles on it. I use it for odd jobs around the house/farm, and it has around a quarter million miles on it now. It don't owe me anything, but keeps on ticking. It's on it's fourth set of tires, and 2nd battery. The first battery lasted 8 years, and the 2nd battery is 14, yes 14 years old. My daily driver car (GM V6) has 233,000+ miles on it right now, and my 2014 truck gets driven to work 1, sometimes 2 days a week and currently has 15,000 miles on it. Been trying to keep the miles down early, and putting the miles on the car. The car will go 300,000+ easily.

I live in rural Michigan, the salt capitol of the nation. 2-1/2 miles from the nearest pavement. Yes, my vehicles go through hell, and that is why I prevent issues from happening early. I completely rust proof, undercoat, sound deaden, paint seal, and fabric guard my vehicle. This includes taking them in for their annual cleaning and reapplication where necessary. Vehicles don't last long around here, and any parking lot will show the toll it takes on the different makes and models. Some worse than others. I am concerned about the paint on these 2014's though. It is just so thin, it is not even funny, and only time will tell how that is going to pan out.

I will admit, I do it a little different than the average guy. I buy my vehicles outright, then at that time start setting aside money for the next one. That way, I am getting interest, instead of paying interest. If I traded often, I realize that this would be counter productive. My model has worked great for me over the years, but I also realize it is not for everyone. I drive too many miles for any type of lease, and I haven't had a monthly car payment since 1990. That was my '86 Camaro, which I still have 29 years later. I have owned several brand new vehicles, but I do get my monies worth out of them, for sure.

If you intend to drive a vehicle for the long haul, you have to start planning from day one. Oil changes are the lifeblood to the engines, and preventative measures to keep frame/body corrosion at bay need to seriously considered. Saves a lot of money down the road. If you trade every 4 years or so, then maybe not so much. The next owner will pay for it later!

Maybe I have been lucky? Or, maybe I have made my own luck through preventative measures that start from day one? Either way, I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Maybe after I retire, I may have a different model similar to yours? Allowing me to drive a new vehicle every couple years, since I won't be putting all those commuter miles on it driving back and forth to work? Time will tell, but in the mean time...........................

Like I said there is more than one model. But I think the constant in what you do or I do is that the fact of planning and actually analyzing the data. All to many keep a vehicle 20 years without thinking about that comes with it, or theres the guy that just runs out and buys on a whim. Great care can go a long way as it has in your case, but I also think you probably have had some luck. Also one bad move on my part can throw my money saving off and in your case one dropped tranny or engine could throw out the window any savings on keeping something. As I said before I think the difference in anything built today is, it in fact better quality, but the real issue is all the electronics and added gizmos that are on vehicles today will be the real issue.

Archived