Blackbear Tune vs Diablew Tune

So you are still diggin your tune? Any changes you think needs adjusting?

RT

There really isn't anything I can think of on either TCM/ECM side of it, I really think the base tune he did was that good. I could ask him to firm up shifts even more but I feel that for the type of driving that I do shifts are just right the way they are. I've been looking over some of my ECM logs and there is virtually no knock at all and temps and everything else seem fine. I just recently got an Air Raid Jr. kit so I did a 30 min log which I sent him a few days ago. Honestly, its just an intake so I can't imagine there being that much more to gain but I sent it to him either way.

I do wish I had more power above 5k rpm but there is nothing more he can do on his end. I would need headers or a cam to see gains up there.

I have the inTune, and have yet to have Lew retune it. But just for a handheld I like it. I just wanted something very simple, since this truck isn't gonna be quick no matter what tune is in it. I had a custom tune in my TBSS and it was great. But for this truck, I wanted it simple and easy to use and change. I am impressed with the tune in the inTune, and the adjustable parameters for a hand held. Like two seperate tunes for the tcm, one for regular and one for tow haul mode. I liked being able to change the shift points of the trans (5.3 makes max hp at 5600, and shifts into 3rd at 5200 stock). With just changing to a 93 tune and adjusting the shift firmness and line pressure, the truck is alot more responsive, alot more pleasant to drive. Now I have to take the time to data log it and sent the info to Lew.

Wendy's or bust where did you get your tune? I live in Houston so I was curious. Tomball area for me

I got my tune from Black Bear Performance, ordered the AutoCal online after providing my truck and vin number information. AutoCall arrived, I downloaded the EFI Live software and used it to update the firmware on the AutoCal. Went and logged 30 minutes of driving with various wide open throttle segments and uploaded and sent the tune to Justin. A few days later he sent me back a modified TCM file and two octane tunes. They are not located in Houston, I think you might of gotten confused from the post I made in the other page about using Chucks Tuning down in Houston. I was just giving op some options on getting a custom tune.

Or the Corvette intake.... :driving:

I don't have a 6.2 ;(

Or the Corvette intake.... :driving:

I think the Vette intake would hurt low end torque trying to move that heavy truck. I am ready for a tune in mine, I have had all I can stand with the Transmission shifting and the weak tip in throttle.

RT

Edited by 07Softail

There really isn't anything I can think of on either TCM/ECM side of it, I really think the base tune he did was that good. I could ask him to firm up shifts even more but I feel that for the type of driving that I do shifts are just right the way they are. I've been looking over some of my ECM logs and there is virtually no knock at all and temps and everything else seem fine. I just recently got an Air Raid Jr. kit so I did a 30 min log which I sent him a few days ago. Honestly, its just an intake so I can't imagine there being that much more to gain but I sent it to him either way.

I do wish I had more power above 5k rpm but there is nothing more he can do on his end. I would need headers or a cam to see gains up there.

I'm sure a TVS1900 would suit you just fine :drool:

• Like 1

I'll chime in on this one too. I have the inTune which I really like. I like the fact that it is very user friendly, I can quickly adjust settings, change tunes, or put in back to stock if I was going to go to the dealer for maint. I do not have a Lew tune yet but have considered it. The inTune has a flexfuel tune now and with myself using E85 I like that as well. I'm not sure if Lew is doing E85 tunes.

Anyway the inTune comes stock with 5 tunes now I think: mileage booster (which I did not like), 87, 87/flexfuel, diablo (which is the 91+ octane tune), and then the diablo/flexfuel tune. Along with these stock ECM tunes you can modify them before you install it for say tire size changes, speed limit off, throttle boost, etc. Then also separetly choose your settings for the TCM (transmission) tune like shift point, shift pressure, torque management on/off, etc. This creates 2 tune files when it installs. So when you connect the device to your computer via USB you can see it as a drive and browse and find these files like a "ECM_12659744_LastTuneWritten.grg" file and a "TCM_24271131_LastTuneWritten.grg" file which are the "custom" tunes you just modified and installed. There are also _Backup files that I believe are the the stock tune. So what you can do is copy the LastTune ECM and TCM files to your computer hard drive, rename them to something more descriptive like "ECM_MJ_DiabloE85_SpdLmtOff_Thrtl10.grg" and "TCM_MJ_HardSft_TM-Off.grg" and then copy them back to your inTune. These will now show up as custom tunes on your inTune. This way you can can load and modify tunes figuring out what you like best and not have to remember what changes you made each time and buuilding off the ones you like. Creating kind of a poor man's custom tune library of sorts. Very neat in my opinion.

Then you go get yourself a LEW tune and you'll know exactly what to tell him what you've found you like and dislike.

You can also log data while you drive. Then download and install the free DataViewer software they have, copy the logs to your computer, and view what you've logged. See my screnshot of it below.

I keep my inTune, since it's as small as an ipod, in my backpack that I take back and forth to work each day. I love the thought of being able to change or remove my tune at anytime.

Don't forget to get yourself a bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque smartphone app so you can easily record you quicker 0-60 and 1/4 miles times. Also handy for when you have the speed limiter turned off and you're going so fast you are afraid to look down at the speedo. It'll be recorded for you. Just kidding, don't go quite that fast.

post-138443-0-18126700-1430502313_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...