Factory Brake Controller - After the fact with Tow pkg

I searched the forum before I posted. Didn't see anything. My truck has the 3.42 gears, factory "tow pkg" but no brake controller or hill decent control. I have the 7pin and 4 pin harness connections on the bumper and factory hitch. I'm looking at buying a good size boat (25-30' Donzi or Scarab deep Vee bottom offshore type) and will at least need the brake controller. I watched the trailer video on installing the P3 and they plugged an aftermarket unit right into a junction box under the driver's foot well. How hard would it be to install the factory brake controller on the dash? I like the idea of not having a box screwed to my knee panel and the OEM controller allows the gain to show up on the DIC. Pretty neat. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ You can get the module on Ebay. Buy the switch for the dash and the bezel. Not sure what else would be needed? But from all the googling I did.... It's easier to just get an aftermarket with the factory harness adapter like the video etrailer did on youtube.

The 'hill descent' control you're asking about is for VERY low speed operation. It comes with the z71 stuff. It is NOT a towing goody.

Hill descent only works between 2 and 14 mph.

^ You can get the module on Ebay. Buy the switch for the dash and the bezel. Not sure what else would be needed? But from all the googling I did.... It's easier to just get an aftermarket with the factory harness adapter like the video etrailer did on youtube.

While you can buy the bezel, switch and wiring you cant get the BCM reprogrammed to use it and there is some wiring as well. GM put out an article right after the K2xx trucks came out saying it absolutely not possible to add the trailer brake controller to a truck that did not come with it.

Sorry for asking what might seem like a dumb question but I don't know much about trailer brake controllers. How do I tell if I have one built in? I do have the 7 pin connection on the back and I have the trailer control thing above my 4x4 switch.

Sorry for asking what might seem like a dumb question but I don't know much about trailer brake controllers. How do I tell if I have one built in? I do have the 7 pin connection on the back and I have the trailer control thing above my 4x4 switch.

The "trailer control thing" is the trailer brake controller.

Sure there is the trailer brake control module, but, the Chassis Control Module is different, and if the wiring and connectors are not there, you would have to change the entire chassis wiring harness.

Can't be done. You can buy as many parts from ebay as you like. The complete truck, brake system is wired differently. Factory option can't be added.

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 take 10 minutes to install.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Archived