Choosing between mid size and full size + timing of purchase

Hi all. For the last few years my wife and I have been talking about needing a truck in our family for the various chores that most households have. The usually landscaping material hauling, trips to the dump, moving stuff, etc. I don't own a boat or a trailer but at some point that may change, particularly the trailer part. I have been researching my options and was dead set on a colorado/canyon.

I am going to be in a position to purchase in November/December of this year and was going to hope to get into a 2015 colorado/canyon and hope that there will be some year end incentives. I had the opportunity to test drive a Silverado (CC SB 5.3) this weekend along with a loaded AT Canyon. I currently drive a 2008 Jetta right now and this will be my first truck (not counting a 2004 trailblazer I had). I have to say that I was underwhelmed with the Canyon. It is nice but interior space is just "lacking" compared to the Silverado. I felt that my Jetta interior wasn't much smaller to be honest (a testament to the jetta more than a gripe against the canyon). it was a very nice truck otherwise, the Silverado was just nicer (Rightfully so comparing MSRPs).

My wife an I went to another dealership so she could test them out. We didn't drive either of them but we did sit in the various configurations of both the Colorado and Silverado. We even had our infant son in his car seat "try on" each truck. My wife had the same impression that I had after comparing the two days earlier. The Silverado is nicer. The interior roominess makes it very comfortable. So, despite being set on a Colorado, I have now changed that to being set on a Full Size. My thought is that at the end of year incentives on the Silverados will put the price at a much more reasonable level and I am hoping to get ~$10k+ off MSRP for an LT with All Star package. That will put it at very close to the same level as a Colorado with fewer incentives (if any). My question is, am I setting myself up for disappointment? Is end of year, 2015 Silverado shopping going to be as lucrative as I imagine or am I asking for too much? Have any of you had to make a similar decision lately?

You can get 10K Off MSPR almost all year long. End of year might get you better numbers than that.

I think the only reason I would go Colorado/Canyon over a full size would be if I *specifically* had a reason I did NOT want a full size. As in, full size is too big to fit into my garage, etc. Otherwise, from what I've seen, you aren't saving much $$ by going with the smaller truck, but you get a lot less.

I traded my mid-sized truck for a 2014 Silverado. Probably the best decision Ive ever made, car-wise. There's really no comparison when it comes to the size difference. In my mid-sized truck (2014 Frontier crew cab) I wasnt able to fully recline my seats and put my daughters car seat in the back without hitting it. In the Silverado, I can fit myself (seat fully reclined, with a lot of extra room and I am 6'1) my daughters car seat, 2 95+lb german shepherds and my wife, all very comfortably. I also get the same or better gas mileage in the Silverado.

As others have said, there isn't much of a price savings, let alone fuel saving of a mid size over a full size. I can get close to 23 mpgs on the highway and about 17 around the city. Check out the long term review of the Colorado on Edmunds.com, they've had the truck since November and they're not getting better than that with their test truck. Since you have a young child, you'll appreciate having the extra room in the back seat whether that be for a rear facing car seat or a front facing booster, the full size is much more comfortable.

gas is a toss up between the two really. The midsize you can still at the end of the day probably buy for less money, they will also save on insurace. Mid size trucks have been popular for a long time, and they do fit a certain role.

It all depends on what you want. I wouldnt go as far as saying you can get 10k off an LT trimmed truck any time of the year, 8k might be more reasonable, but you then again you never know.

Personally Id never own a mid sized but thats mainly due trailering needs and what I do. But if I didnt trailer anything and needed the occasional home depot run I would definitely think about a midsize truck.

I think it really comes down to uses (camping, towing, hunting, etc.) and the size of your family (more than 2 kids, it can a little cramped in the back).

When I was looking back in January, the Colorado/Canyon was not out yet. But I did look at a Tacoma and some other mid-sized SUVs. Nothing could compete with the full-sized Silverado! But I have 4 children, we camp, hunt, and expect to purchase a travel trailer soon, so my needs may vary from yours. Full-size is the only way to go for me.

One other item, my truck BARELY fits in my garage. So look at that as a factor as well.

Good luck.

The fact that my truck will most likely NOT fit in my garage unless I go mid size is one negative. It is just a single car garage and my wife has a mid size SUV that fits in there pretty easily, I fit a trailblazer in my garage when I had it but I just don't think the full size would fit. The mid size probably would though. I don't really NEED the capability of the full size either, yet. I can park in front of my garage, my wife parks in it most of the time anyway. I can't imagine insurance costs are going to be a deal breaker between mid sized and full size but it will probably be a small difference. I also won't be living in my house for ever, we are probably going to move in a few years and I will have the next vehicle I buy for at least 7 years. There are trade offs for both mid and full size for me.

canyon overall length sb/lb = 212.4/224.6

Sierra cc sb/stdbox = 229.5/239.5

Double cabs all have the standard box and are the same length as the cc sb (229.5)

Most common 1500 crew size is the sb.

I was a new truck buyer and based on reading reviews I thought the Canyon provided good value and was a good size. My wife suggested the Sierra and of course I told her she didn't know what she was talking about.

But she did. Once we drive the Sierra (Silverado) with the front bucket seats like first class airline seats, with plenty of room, there was no looking at the Canyon again. And with kids the back seat leg room in the Sierra crew cab made it a no brainer. It is a bit wider but fits my garage the same as my previous Acadia... and longer, I have about 5" to spare from wall to garage door.

I don't think the fuel economy is much different. And my mechanic said d'don't messa around, get the 5.3l V8' vs the 3.6l v6 on the Canyon.

No looking back. Couldn't be happier. Quiet as a limo, and just as comfortable. With power when you need it.

Regarding insurance. I called my guy this afternoon and asked him to price out a Colorado and Silverado and I was almost blown away with what he told me. Currently, full coverage insurance on my wife's 2007 suv+ my 2008 Jetta cost us $687 every 6 months. If I were to swap out my Jetta for a 2015 Colorado the total premium would go up $28.00 every 6 months for a total of $715.00. If I go full size, it would actually go DOWN $28.00. He said that the cost of the vehicle is only a small part of the equation and medical/likelihood of total loss is a higher risk in the Jetta. I asked him 2 times to double check and make sure both vehicles were included in the quote and he laughed at me and said, "buy that Silverado, you'll save money on insurance."

my insurance went up 28 dollars every six months going from 2015 2500HD to 2015 1500

also, if you are daily driving the truck does it really need to fit in a garage? i wouldn't want to leave any vehicle sitting outside for days or weeks but my daily and my wifes daily stay in the driveway. the garage is for the sunday fairweather drivers.

Archived