Softer shocks/ springs… for smoother nicer ride???

Don't bash me for buying a truck and wanting a car ride!! I had a neck injury and had to have my c5-c6-c7 fused.

I upgraded to a 2015 GMC 1500 crew, SLT, short bed, 3.42's, w/ the "value package"including 20" wheels. I never go off road. I tow several times a year but less than 5000 lbs. I now have 6500 miles on her and the suspension is well settled in. It's just too tight for me. A bit jarring. My 2007 GMC crew 1500 drove like a dream and was very smooth and comfortable.

Anyone with my complaint find a solution with a change of shocks and springs. Obviously I do not want to change the leafs but am open to all 4 shocks and front springs?/ Most guys talking about shocks have to do with off road. I want a smooth comfortable daily driver ride on the street.

Thanks guys!

After driving mine for a while, I realized that my 2011 Silverado rode better than my 2014. My wife commented that she felt like a "Bobblehead" all of the time as it seemed to bounce a lot. So, I installed Bilstein 5100s on the front and rear and now it rides much smoother and glides over railroad tracks and speed bumps. It also handles better on the highway. Mine is stock height and I do not go off road. I contacted Bilstein and asked them about the issue and this is what they recommended. FYI, the 4600s were not available at the time or I would have used them instead. Bilstein said they are comparable, except the front 5100s are adjustable and the rears will work with raised suspension where 4600s are made for stock ride height.

I'll trade my 18" wheels and tires with your 20". The 18" provides a taller sidewall and better "cushioning". Front springs are already, relatively, soft so the next thing would be dampers.

Rid the truck of the 20" wheels. Bigger the wheel with a lower profile tire gets you a harsher ride.

This. Get some 18" wheels/tires and your ride will smooth out quite a bit.

Edited by raym0016

You can get different shocks, like said above, bilstein 5100's.

Or you can get a bigger tire. A 275/60/20 will fit on your current set-up with no level kit. And just run the tires a few psi lower than usual. Instead of 35psi, go down to 28-30 psi. Your tires will wear faster at a lower psi, but it's a better ride too

You can get different shocks, like said above, bilstein 5100's.

Or you can get a bigger tire. A 275/60/20 will fit on your current set-up with no level kit. And just run the tires a few psi lower than usual. Instead of 35psi, go down to 28-30 psi. Your tires will wear faster at a lower psi, but it's a better ride too

Isnt 275/60 on stock suspension questionable, some rub some dont?

Isnt 275/60 on stock suspension questionable, some rub some dont?

Stock is 275/55/20 which is a 32" tire

275/60/20 is a 33" tire at the same width, which is 10.8"

Since you're not going wider, there will be very little problem with a 60 series tire. You might rub at full lock to the left in reverse, but that will be the only time. Nothing going forward.

A 60 series tire is adding 1" to the overall tire size, .5" to each sidewall. If you think it will be a problem, have someone turn your steering wheel full lock and see if you have an extra 1/2" clearance. And I know you do.

Fyi, I have 275/65/20's on my truck, but with a level kit

Thanks for the info. From all the other posts I've read, there were mixed reviews. I also asked at DT when I got tires, and they said they've had mixed results.....so I went safe with 275/55. Maybe next time I'll try 275/60.

Besides going to a higher profile tire, you can also tie a few sand bags (or other heavy items) in the rear of your truck to soften the ride. 200-300 pounds near the tailgate will make the truck ride smooth as glass.

I'm going to buy some 275/60R20 Dueler AT Revos in a couple of weeks. I have not seen anybody that said they would rub, and I've seen several people say that they had them and they didn't rub.

Don't bash me for buying a truck and wanting a car ride!! I had a neck injury and had to have my c5-c6-c7 fused.

I upgraded to a 2015 GMC 1500 crew, SLT, short bed, 3.42's, w/ the "value package"including 20" wheels. I never go off road. I tow several times a year but less than 5000 lbs. I now have 6500 miles on her and the suspension is well settled in. It's just too tight for me. A bit jarring. My 2007 GMC crew 1500 drove like a dream and was very smooth and comfortable.

Anyone with my complaint find a solution with a change of shocks and springs. Obviously I do not want to change the leafs but am open to all 4 shocks and front springs?/ Most guys talking about shocks have to do with off road. I want a smooth comfortable daily driver ride on the street.

Thanks guys!

I just installed the Pro Comp Pro Runner SS shocks, only the rears for now, and the ride is WAY better than stock and not all jittery and bouncy. I haven't installed the front's yet but I'm sure that will be a big improvement as well.

Thanks guys! Keep any info coming!

Thats what I needed, shock recommendations at a minimum. I had a 2014 LTZ crew w/ 18" wheels and it rode pretty similar. I can agree profile makes a difference but it appears the suspension is very tight on these. I believe this is what causes the vibration issue that is intermittent. Because you can feel every imperfection in the road. When you have a neck issue you really notice how your head is bouncing around!!

I drove this 2015 truck to make sure it was not vibrating. It wasn't. A week later it had the vibration!! Comes and goes different speeds, different surfaces, but I truly believe that it is also cause or contributes to the vibration issue. 2 trucks, GMC and Chevy, 18" and 20" wheels, different differential ratios, different tires. I think the suspension doesn't absorb much.

But either way i need softer and smoother.

Thanks again