Truck wont shut off?

I was leaving work at 11 pm. On my way out to it, I rolled down the windows and then remote started it. I thought it didn't start because none of my lights stayed on like normal. I drove it to the store and it wouldn't shut off. I tried the brakes and nothing so I finally just locked it up and went in the store. I called on star and they transferred me to road side and I just told them I would disconnect the battery when I got home to see if that would do the trick.

I got home and I couldn't shut it down normally so I disconnected the ground and it shut off. I tried remote starting it again and it wouldn't do any thing.

Just curious if anybody else has had this problem.

Thanks

why would taking off the ground shut it off?

Power to the relay or I/O that was holding the run circuit closed was dropped when battery was unhooked.

Are you saying the truck does not stop running when you turn the key to the off position and remove the key?

EDIT :

Is this a serious post or a joke?

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

No it is not a joke.

Yeah I could take the key out and it kept running.

I have a friend and he told me about the same issue, totally different car tough. Not that I've been interested in the first place.

He thought it's the ignition switch, but there was a problem with a relay that allows you to open and close the windows with the key out.

You guys might know what he was talking about, I certainly don't. Just telling you this because I remember him talking about it forever.... :sleep:

Edited by BRay'sGirl

why would taking off the ground shut it off?

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand it either. Isn't everything grounded to the chassis? Doesn't the alternator maintain voltage? It's not clear to me how disconnecting ground at the battery stops anything but charging the battery.

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand it either. Isn't everything grounded to the chassis? Doesn't the alternator maintain voltage? It's not clear to me how disconnecting ground at the battery stops anything but charging the battery.

Just go with it lol. Isn't it since multiple items on the engine (let's say injectors for now) run on electrical, that would kill it? When you disconnect the battery ground lead, wouldn't that interrupt the flow of electricity, just like a switch. Pretty sure that everything is run off the battery as far as electrical goes, then the alternator just replenishes what is lost

Just go with it lol. Isn't it since multiple items on the engine (let's say injectors for now) run on electrical, that would kill it? When you disconnect the battery ground lead, wouldn't that interrupt the flow of electricity, just like a switch. Pretty sure that everything is run off the battery as far as electrical goes, then the alternator just replenishes what is lost

Clearly cutting electrical will kill the engine (injectors, fuel pump, ECU, spark, etc.) I was just thinking that disconnecting battery ground wouldn't cut the circuit (because of the alternator). Evidently it does, I just don't understand it.

On older cars it would not kill engine and was a way of checking alternator. I thought when they started loading them with computers and electronic controls, that this stopped working and engine would die when disconnected and had potential to fry some if the electronics.

On the 1998 Dodge Durango we had the engine would stall at idle with a bad battery. I once had to jump it off and drive home from grocery store keeping RPMs up at stop lights, etc by popping into N and holding throttle open a little.

I still don't get the mechanism.

How does this:

,---------+-----------------.
| | |
+---+ +---+ +------------------+
|Alt| |Bat| |various loads|
| | |
`----------+-----------------'

differ from this:
,---------+-----------------.
| | |
|Alt| |Bat| |various loads|
| |
`----------------------------'

if the alternator is supplying 14V in both cases?

Edited by ghgmi

Well I got it fixed. I took it to the dealer and all they did was disconnect the power going to my subs and it solved the problem. So I took it to the place that installed it. There is a switch on it that changes it from DC to 12+. I dont know what the difference is. The installer claimed that little switch caused it to have feedback basically sending power where it does not belong.

I dont know how that switch got flipped but it is the first switch on the amp. It could have been one of my kids or I could have thrown something back there that hit.

Thanks for the help.

Chad