Engine Oil Leak from Oil Filter

I've been changing oil in my vehicles for 20 years now and this 2014 5.3L has got me stumped. I've tried a Wix filter and an AC Delco PF63E and they both leak after a thousand miles or so...I can unscrew and reset them, but will eventually leak/drip again. The crazy part about the AC Delco, the sticker indicates 1 full turn after gasket contact. I might be able to get 1/4 turn before it won't move anymore, even with a strap wrench on it...and no I'm not putting a ton of force on it with the strap wrench. It's almost like the mating surface on the block isnt smooth enough to allow the gasket to "slide", and yes, I lubricate it with oil prior to installing it.

You are right, once the metal body of the filter contacts the mounting surface on the engine block, further tightening of the filter would only distort the filter housing and possibly score the mounting surface. Maybe on these particular filters they made the gasket too thin (possibly another been counter at GM trying to get a fat reward check for saving a few pennies per filter) which causes the filter body to contact the mounting surface before the gasket gets fully compressed to provide a good seal.

I have not run into this problem with the AC filters I use (PF46 and PF61).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought wix would be a good bet as well after the first 2 ac Delco filters leaked. I bought one Delco filter off Amazon, and the next from the local auto parts store thinking maybe Amazon had a bad batch. After both Delcos leaked I bought a wix. Sadly, the wix leaked too. It's at the dealer now so we will see what comes of it.

I thought wix would be a good bet as well after the first 2 ac Delco filters leaked. I bought one Delco filter off Amazon, and the next from the local auto parts store thinking maybe Amazon had a bad batch. After both Delcos leaked I bought a wix. Sadly, the wix leaked too. It's at the dealer now so we will see what comes of it.

What sounds strange is you said after gasket contact you could only get another 1/4 turn out of it. The adapter threads where it screws into the base could be messed up and not seated all the way into the base. The filter could be hitting the nut part of the adapter stopping it from seating any further or the threads below the nut side of the adapter are messed up. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 months later...

I can't bring much new to this discussion but I'm looking for a solution to a leaking oil filter on a new 2015 Silverado that has developed a leak following the first Dealer provided oil change. I've had it back to the dealer twice for this problem; I told them to change the oil filter the first time but they didn't and said they couldn't see a leak; the second trip in they "said" they changed the oil filter and the problem appeared to have went away, but now it's marking its spot on my garage floor again. The leak does not show up immediately but within a couple of weeks it will start - nothing major just a drop here and there. So I'm going back to the dealer again.

Like others on this forum I've changed my own oil for years and never had a problem. I suspect there may be a serious underlying problem that goes beyond an improper filter installation and GM is wanting to gloss over. All I know is this is ridiculous for this to be happening. Really!

I truly think the block is not machined correctly by not allowing the oil filter gasket to seal properly. Dealer was no help and only wanted to replace the filter, which worked each time, for a little bit until the leak started again. I tried many different brands of oil filters all with the same result. I fixed the problem, and all the other problems, by trading off the truck.

I have an appointment at 2 PM today and the service Manager is going to look at the mounting service himself. He told me that he's been having problems with oil filters lately. I will post back when I see what they find... if anything. It seems to me that if it were a machined surface problem that the original filter would have leaked and it never did. I think I will pick up a Wix filter and take it with me.

So I kept my appointment with the Dealership to make a third attempt do resolve the leaking oil filter problem that developed following the first oil change on my 2015 Silverado 5.3... I decided to pick up a Wix Oil filter based on what I was seeing on the internet. I gave it to the service manager and told him that if an inspection of the mating surface showed that it was good then to install this Wise filter. No problems with the mating surface so they installed the Wise filter. The Service Manager reiterated that they were having leakage problems on more than the Chevy Trucks. He thinks it may be the AC Delco filters. We will see...

I have a theory that it's due to the Aluminum block engines expansion and contraction as the engines heat and cool. But why this problem only arises following the first oil change is a mystery. GM needs figure it out... There's little doubt but the proper kind of seal material and seal ring groove on the oil filter would resolve this issue.

The AC Delco e-core's (PF63e, PF48e, etc) are complete junk. They're made by Champion Lab and are similar to the cheapest Fram you can buy at walmart. I've had good luck with the Wix 57045 but now use Mobil 1 m1-212's on my truck.

Cheap parts is what it amounts to, i'm willing to bet for the non free service oil changes they use a completely different delco filter. It's best to only use the free 8 quarts of oil for the 2 year service plan and spend the 5-10 bucks on a quality filter.

Cheap parts is what it amounts to, i'm willing to bet for the non free service oil changes they use a completely different delco filter. It's best to only use the free 8 quarts of oil for the 2 year service plan and spend the 5-10 bucks on a quality filter.

AC Delco only sells the cheap filters with the 'e' at the end. Any regular PF63's you might find are "new old stock". It's not a scheme having to do with ripping people off on free oil changes, the e-core design is used in many cheap oil filters sold as many other brands. They're all made by Champion Labs.

http://www.champlabs.com/content/oil-filters

... I'm looking for a solution to a leaking oil filter on a new 2015 Silverado that has developed a leak following the first Dealer provided oil change. I've had it back to the dealer twice for this problem; I told them to change the oil filter the first time but they didn't and said they couldn't see a leak; the second trip in they "said" they changed the oil filter and the problem appeared to have went away, but now it's marking its spot on my garage floor again. The leak does not show up immediately but within a couple of weeks it will start - nothing major just a drop here and there. So I'm going back to the dealer again.

Like others on this forum I've changed my own oil for years and never had a problem. I suspect there may be a serious underlying problem that goes beyond an improper filter installation and GM is wanting to gloss over. All I know is this is ridiculous for this to be happening. Really!

I had the oil leak also at the filter after 2 dealer oil changes similar to what you describe, found out it wasn't the filter. Third time I took it back, the tech replaced a faulty oil filter adapter (that's what's written on the invoice), obviously the oil filter housing requires an adapter, at least in my 2015 Tahoe. Don't know if your oil filter housing requires an adapter, but I no longer have the leak.

Thanks so much for that information. I suspect that's what my problem is a leaking adapter as well. Do you have the 5.3 V8 engine?

I searched the internet and found this http://gm.oemdtc.com/3128/oil-leak-from-the-oil-filter-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmcpertaining to a leaking oil filter adapter. It seems that engines produced at the St. Catherine's Plant between a certain date code may have an under torqued oil adapter. Looks like a simple fix. I'm going to refer this link to the Service Manager.

Archived