Engine Oil Leak from Oil Filter

My '14 Silverado has been leaking oil from the oil filter area ever since the first complimentary oil change. I had it in two weeks ago for the second oil change and spoke to the dealer about the leak. Said they'd take care of it. Now it has started leaking again and I just made an appointment for tomorrow.

Anyone experience this? If so, what was the fix? I don't want to hear it's the filter or filter gasket from the dealer...

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem on my third oil change. I mentioned it on my fourth change. Tech said it was a bad filter gasket. I won't be using AD Delco filters when I start changing my own oil.

while I am sure there are some defective ac delco oil filters out there however, I have been using them on my truck for years without any issues. Changing your own oil is very simple there are very few things to watch out for. 1) don't start the motor without oil in the pan (duh) 2) make sure the old oil filter gasket came off with the old filter.

if the gasket did not come off and you doubled up (when I say you I mean the tech or whoever changed your oil) then you will most def have a oil leak if not a complete dump of your oil.

my guess would be they did not tighten the filter enough and is leaking. they did that on my 12 one time for a dealer free oil change. one of the reasons I try to do everything I can myself.

If you change it yourself, definitely check for the old gasket before putting on the new filter.

My dad always told me this, of course I wasn't paying attention. Then one day my '86 IROC-Z dumped 3 quarts of oil all over the driveway as I was backing it out of the garage.

It's one of those mistakes you never make twice.

If it isn't the gasket then it can be the crimp on the oil filter can that is bad as well. I have had that happen on several different makes of oil filters over the years. Just seems to be my luck.

If you rub a little oil on the gasket of the new filter it won't stick and is easier to snug up. I always do this and have never seen a stuck gasket.

the gasket sticking on is a common problem with cheap oil filters. not saying that good quality oil filters are immune to this problem but all the quality filters I have taken off the gasket usually comes off. when I have changed other peoples oil and they went to a place where when you get your oil changed by them you get a free car wash or something and they put that $0.50 oil filter on, that's when I have had the gasket stick on.

I always check when I change mine and I have never had an acdelco gasket stick on.

the gasket sticking on is a common problem with cheap oil filters. not saying that good quality oil filters are immune to this problem but all the quality filters I have taken off the gasket usually comes off. when I have changed other peoples oil and they went to a place where when you get your oil changed by them you get a free car wash or something and they put that $0.50 oil filter on, that's when I have had the gasket stick on.

I always check when I change mine and I have never had an acdelco gasket stick on.

I have used the ACDelco PF52 on my '91 K1500 with the 5.7 for years ( since purchase in '94 ) with no problems now using the PF63 ( now PF63E ) on my '14 K1500 with the 5.3 so far without any issues.

If you change it yourself, definitely check for the old gasket before putting on the new filter.

My dad always told me this, of course I wasn't paying attention. Then one day my '86 IROC-Z dumped 3 quarts of oil all over the driveway as I was backing it out of the garage.

It's one of those mistakes you never make twice.

I did the same thing with my truck on its 1st oil change. I didn't check the old filter, and went on ASSumption..... Went around the block and the low oil light went on, followed by low oil pressure. Got it shut off in time before anything happened.....but scared the crap out of me for sure! Never had it happen since then.

Archived