Alright so I've heard a lot of talk about Porting and polishing (P and P) a throttle body on a 5.3L Silverado (mines a 2004) . I really don't mind taking the time to do this so i need someones opinion on doing it! is there any gains or draw backs? It makes sense to me on a smother serface makes for faster air and grounding down the little lip in the TB can increase air flow! anyone do it yet?

Tune and a larger throttle body??

Thinking of getting a tune! got a hyper tech tuner but its not really doing much, and from what I've seen a newer wide throttle body can be a bit pricy for the little gains you get

Thinking of getting a tune! got a hyper tech tuner but its not really doing much, and from what I've seen a newer wide throttle body can be a bit pricy for the little gains you get

Very true, I want to say a few years back, people were swapping intake manifolds and adding larger T/B's to the 6.2's??? And adding a custom tune with some pretty good gains. Just don't remember when or if that was the correct platform they were doing it with.

I did a helical throttle body spacer, around $100 bucks, or less! Mine is a 2005, 5.3L. Got some noticeable gains, then added a cold air intake, which was pricy, got more noticeable gains. Between the two, I gained about 3 to 3.5 miles to the gallon, and tons of power. Just got to keep my foot out of it! It is a 1/2 ton, Z71, crew cab, 4x4, and I average 17 to 17.5mpg, if I drive right!

Not really leaning into throttle body spacers, the distance the air travels to where its used in these engines is to long for them to make a difference, in an older say carbed 350 would make a good difference. i more just wanna see if porting these throttle body is a good idea, not gunna cause any idle issue etc. and I'm also running a KnN already

Don't even bother with any type of throttle body spacer. They do absolutely nothing but lighten your wallet, no gains but some make a whistle noise that some seem to like.

Your best bet is a tune. You will get noticeable gains and the truck will drive better. A custom tune is the best performance upgrade for the money. Those one size fits all tuners really don't do much, sell it if you can.

An aftermarket cold air intake is also a waste of money. Your truck came with a CAI from the factory but the air tube is restricted due to the built in chambers to keep the noise down. Get yourself an unrestricted air tube (AirAid) and keep your OEM box and filter OR replace the OEM filter with a good dry flow filter.

I did a helical throttle body spacer, around $100 bucks, or less! Mine is a 2005, 5.3L. Got some noticeable gains, then added a cold air intake, which was pricy, got more noticeable gains. Between the two, I gained about 3 to 3.5 miles to the gallon, and tons of power. Just got to keep my foot out of it! It is a 1/2 ton, Z71, crew cab, 4x4, and I average 17 to 17.5mpg, if I drive right!

3 mpg and a ton of power? Bet if you do a before and after dyno run it won't be a ton maybe a few.

Ryan

What most people never realize is that an intake tube and or throttle body don't really make that much difference except at wide open throttle. I'm sure there are a few scan tools out there that would tell you the precentage of throuttle being used. If you polish, the throttle will still be in the way 98% of the time. I don't think you will see any gains. And unless you are planning on making a camshaft and head change, a larger throttle body probably won't give you much either. You already have a K&N, do you have a non-stock exhaust, such as a Borla muffler or such? That could be a source of a few horses for less than $150. You don't really need to go to duals until you mod the engine some more. I have read some books on heads and there is an engineering opinion that some roughness is better than mirror smooth finish. This helps with swirl and fuel air mixing.

3 mpg and a ton of power? Bet if you do a before and after dyno run it won't be a ton maybe a few.

Ryan

Ok maybe a few, figure of speech! I say if you like the idea, try it. Can't hurt, right? The factory tube is restricted, the Air-Aid tube is a good one, after all it is about air flow and atomization, for better economy and power. As far as a custom tune, I wouldn't even know how or where to get that done, do you have to be down for a couple of days? They may sell things, over the counter, that don't help much, but I don't think they could sell you anything that will hurt your engine. I kind of like your first idea, and would like to know if it worked for you.

I have virtually the same truck, 2006 Sierra SLT 4x4, 5.3, Z71, but X-cab not crew, with a canopy on it and I'm in the mid-17's for mileage, everything stock.

Archived