Oil Capacity

Anyone know how much oil actually goes into a 2015 5.3? My user manual says 8.5 quarts oil and filter. The dealership is telling me 8 quarts, but 1 tech there was putting in 8.5 quarts. When he put 8.5 quarts into my truck it reads 0.5-1 quarts high. What is the chance that there is something in my engine that is not supposed to be there?

5.3 and 6.2 recommendation was reduced to 8 quarts from the original 8.5.

Capacity and Viscosity Charts for 2013, 2014, and 2015 engines:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/TechLink-engine-oil-capacities-2012-2015.pdf

Info from Oct 2014: (says there is no need to drain the extra 1/2 qt, but that 8 qt is the revised recommendation for 5.3/6.2

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3822)

Note that the DIMPLES are the full and low marks, not the edge of the cross hatching.

Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure why my 2015 user manual has not been updated since this is from October 2014. Even the online 2015 manual states 8.5 still.

Yes I was using the dimple. It is well above the full dimple and the entire cross hatch pattern.

Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure why my 2015 user manual has not been updated since this is from October 2014. Even the online 2015 manual states 8.5 still.

Yes I was using the dimple. It is well above the full dimple and the entire cross hatch pattern.

They were building 2015's before Oct 14, but I'm also surprised the online version has not been updated.

• 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, Aaron1085 said:

where can I find the 2015 online version of oil capacity for a 5.3 please? my dealer put in 9 and claims 'some take 8 and some take 9'.   makes NO sense

You can look up any vehicle on AMSOIL's look up guide.  They stay current on manufactures capacities.  

• 8 months later...

So i know 8 qts is what is told for a 5.3 v8 silverado 2018. But when i first did mine. i put in based on dipstick alone, which came out to be around 6.75 qts. But next time the dealer did it. They did the 8qts. I check it and the oil is crazy high. i couldnt even give you an accurate height. any ideas why mine seems way off? either way too high on the recommended amount. and way low if you go by the dipstick.

Dealer could have easily overfilled, since they may be using oil in bulk containers and pumping it in. The "tech" may have just messed up. Change it your self and put 8 qts in and look at the stick. Your 6.75 was incorrect