Thoughts on supercharger for 5.3

Hey all - I have a '15 Silverado Z71 custom sport crew cab with the 5.3. Thinking about getting a blower but wanted to get feedback from anyone who's put one on the 5.3.

Is the increase in power worth the ~$6k in your opinion?

I'm assuming adding one will void the power train warranty?

Any anecdotal info on long-term reliability of these things from anyone who put it on an older 5.3 would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will most definitely void the warranty. Some of the companies like Edelbrock offer a warranty extension of some form. Your fuel economy will be taking a hit and you will also be running 91+ octane fuel, but I'm sure you have given thought to this. I would say on a truck as new as yours you could likely trade for $6K and get a 6.2 with warranty but just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

i have been asking myself the same question. 2015 crew 5.3 4x4 and it is paid for plus all the things i have already done to it. so add a whipple or magnacharger for 6-7 or trade for a 16 6.2????

Looking to supercharge my 6.2. Probably be a year before I pull the trigger. Absolutely nothing like the torque and sound of the blower!

Holy crap. The 6.2L with a supercharger would be insane. That would have to put you around 550 hp/tq.

You may have a hard time not spinning the rear tires.

Maybe if the op had an LS engine how legendary they are might matter...... However these LT engines are pretty similar in design but how the new cupped piston they run lives with any type of sustained abuse is not really determined yet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Maybe if the op had an LS engine how legendary they are might matter...... However these LT engines are pretty similar in design but how the new cupped piston they run lives with any type of sustained abuse is not really determined yet.

Oddly enough last time I checked the bottom end was still the same...

Hennessey has zero problems putting these motors under boost, good enough for me.

I have a 92 with a whipple . In 120,000 miles with one rebuild on the engine and transmission . I switch from 5lbs to 15lbs of boost depending on the time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly enough last time I checked the bottom end was still the same...

Hennessey has zero problems putting these motors under boost, good enough for me.

You should recheck...go see one apart and then look at an LS... about all they share is wrist pins. Pistons don't even remotely look the same thanks to direct injection with a cup in them like a diesel. I will reserve judgement when we can drag them from junkyards, toss studs in and have them live healthy lives with stock bottom ends and good doses of boost... I am thinking I will stress my 6.2 with that turbo setup I posted above.

Archived