Icon suspension reviews

That's only true for the Fox 2.0's. The better quality coilovers with the locking collar can be adjusted on the truck.

You're right about that, But I think he was asking about putting them on the truck, not adjusting once there on. Cause to get the new coilovers on the truck you need to use a spring compressor correct? And from what Ive read, you need a pretty damn strong one so thats why most people bring it to a shop to get them on.

No, the ICONs come assembled and ready to go. Just bolt them in--it's easier than installing 5100's. You don't need to compress any spring.

ordered new set of upper arms today from cognito they do have them now for the aluminum suspension trucks there not on there website yet but if you call you can get them should be a great set up with the icons.

I think that was a good move. I didn't test mine with the stock arms and the droop stops cut; it's possible that gives you enough travel and you don't bind the balljoints hard at full droop but it's got to be really close. Aftermarket arms give you a nice margin of safety and the knowledge that everything is working properly.

• Like 1

So from looking up icon and king suspension they both say they can be adjusted from 0-3" and 0-3.5". My question is does anyone actually adjust then the full 3+ inches to lift there truck and does it impact the ride more than have it less?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You can, but I wouldn't. ICON even says raising them at all above the 2" will affect ride, at 3-3.5" it would likely be very noticable. It still might be better than cheaper shocks and a leveling kit, but that height just doesn't give your wheels enough extension travel for the suspension to work properly. Even with the UCA fixed, the lower balljoint will bind if you try and extend travel beyond what the ICON shock allows.

IMHO (with all brands) if you want more than 2.5" with these trucks you need a proper lift that drops the LCA's and diff.

• Like 1

You can, but I wouldn't. ICON even says raising them at all above the 2" will affect ride, at 3-3.5" it would likely be very noticable. It still might be better than cheaper shocks and a leveling kit, but that height just doesn't give your wheels enough extension travel for the suspension to work properly. Even with the UCA fixed, the lower balljoint will bind if you try and extend travel beyond what the ICON shock allows.

IMHO (with all brands) if you want more than 2.5" with these trucks you need a proper lift that drops the LCA's and diff.

It makes sense. I am not looking for a crazy lift or anything, just looking at options. Maybe a new suspension set at mid point to level it and a 2 inch lift on top will do just nice. I still have time before I do anything. I just want a nice setup that won't ruin the truck and still make it look good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, when I lift the front further--likely with a Zone 4.5"--I'm going to see if using a 2" level with the ICONS set at mid point will work. If not, ICON can extend the shocks. Either way I plan to continue using them set near their mid-point as I'm that happy with them.

I ordered the Icon stage 2 kit which includes upper control arms for my '15 Sierra 1500 4x4 with the Z71 package. I not only want to level my truck but also improve the ride over crappy roads. The shop I am using had to order the kit from Icon so it will be a few weeks before I get the system installed. I will post a follow-up review once I get everything installed.

No, the ICONs come assembled and ready to go. Just bolt them in--it's easier than installing 5100's. You don't need to compress any spring.

I think that was a good move. I didn't test mine with the stock arms and the droop stops cut; it's possible that gives you enough travel and you don't bind the balljoints hard at full droop but it's got to be really close. Aftermarket arms give you a nice margin of safety and the knowledge that everything is working properly.

Thanks for the info. I was going off what i read about people putting the fox 2.0's on and needing a spring compressor. I was assuming it was the same kind of install.

Thanks for the info. I was going off what i read about people putting the fox 2.0's on and needing a spring compressor. I was assuming it was the same kind of install.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the icons installed very happy with them they gave me more lift than expected I added tires at the same time my total lift on the front was 3 5/8 inches which the tires alone raised the rear 1 inch so I figure the icons out of the box gave me about 2 5/8 inch lift on the front so I may bring them down a 1/2 inch the ride and handling is great compared to stock I did add e rated tires so I don't notice much on the highway still feel the road due to the tires but there are some very rough streets around here and that's were they really shine where I had to go really slow I can go as fast as I want amazing and the handling and cornering is great very happy with them here's a before and a couple after photospost-150713-145989185138_thumb.jpgpost-150713-145989187566_thumb.jpgpost-150713-145989190321_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-150713-145989185138_thumb.jpg

post-150713-145989187566_thumb.jpg

post-150713-145989190321_thumb.jpg

Edited by fairway605
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
Does anyone have the stage 2 set up from icon? It's the set up with the control arms. If so, how do you like it? I have a 2014 sierra with aluminum ucas. I'm getting kind of tired with how rough the truck is on bumps....
Thanks in advance!Resized_LRM_EXPORT_20180421_003448.thumb.jpeg.99900a508d56ca4af59ad5cfeb793d69.jpeg
I have the stage 5 on order. Fronts are finally in but still waiting on the rears. I'll update when I get them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...