Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 Tuner Suggestion

Hey Guys,

My tuner came in yesterday and I plan on tinkering with it this weekend. I thought it was odd that it didn't come with any manual and only a cd, I had to go with Hypertech because I live in CA and of course they are ridiculous about everything..

Anyways, I was hoping someone could drop some knowledge on me for the 2014 Silverado and how the tuner performed. If they like the performance or power tune better and what are the pros and cons of each?

Benefits/Cons of turning off AFM?

Did you feel a big change turning off V4?

Also, My Speedo is off by about 6 mph when I get above 45+mph so I need to calibrate that as well. I have the stock tires so I'm not sure how or when it got out of calibration but it is. Any help on that front would also be appreciated.

Those are the major changes I wanted to make. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't understand (probably cause I've never even been to California, lol) why you wouldn't cheat and use a better programmer that doesn't meet California emissions. I mean, if you have to get emissions tested, just reflash to stock. Or is like jail time if you get caught fudging the rules?

I don't understand (probably cause I've never even been to California, lol) why you wouldn't cheat and use a better programmer that doesn't meet California emissions. I mean, if you have to get emissions tested, just reflash to stock. Or is like jail time if you get caught fudging the rules?

They don't even ship the units to CA. The gains they showed for the CA approved unit were the same listed as the non CA edition and they both have the regular and premium tune options so I honestly have no idea what emission settings are removed from the CA edition. I'm sure they would probably fine me thousands, impound my truck, foreclose my home and give me a life sentence...haha joking but seriously CA is a joke so I just decided to go the safe route...

I'm looking into one of these programmers do you recommend this 1? How do you like it?

2015 Silverado 1500 z71

Actually very easy to use but at this point I'm not sold it was worth the 300$ I only have about 10 miles driven since tuning so I will have to get back to you but first impressions are not the best.

1. I was hoping to correct speedo calibration, I have stock tires but speedo was off 6mph from 2 different gps systems. I'm going to start a separate thread on this.

2. I set V4 mode to work only above 65mph but for some reason it was running under 65mph. Not happy about that. I guess I will just turn it off and see if that works.

3. There is a Regular and a Premium tune. I did regular since I have 89 fuel in right now so mid fuel. Once I fill up on 91 I will set the premium tune and see if anything is better but initially I do think I felt smoother acceleration and less delay but nothing that blew me away...

So those are my initial impressions, hope that helps you some. I am a huge noob on tuning so I have a ton to learn...

*Edit* I wanted to add that I only did this because I have no warranty to begin with. If I had a warranty it would 100% NOT be worth it as I've read that tuning can void your warranty...just my 2 cents

• 9 months later...

Hypertech Max energy 2.0 part 2000 for a 2016 6.2 Only mods to truck are GM Borla dual exh and Cold Air Induction CAI

The first time programmed I thought the speed limiter was how much would be added to the stock speed limiter so I hit 25mph and the truck would bog down LOL. Take your time and run through the options several times and ACTUALLY watch the CD (unlike me) After I figured everything out I used +500 for the rev limiter / 125 on speed limiter / premium tune / and set the AFM to only come on above 55 mph. Everything has worked perfectly for around 5000 miles on premium tune running tier one 93 octane gas. I can vouch for a good bit of mpg gains I believe it to be a 4 to 5 mpg gain from stock in this configuration. the Big Ole 6.2 feels like it is just idling along at highway speeds and the power is there when you need it and the CAI and exh make it real hard not to get on the go pedal LOL. Pic of a recent over 400 mile trip where it averaged 25mpg (6000 lb 4x4 420 hp engine COME ON MAN!)

post-127028-0-28094300-1476485477_thumb.jpg
I reset the tuine to "regular" fuel tune last week and just today burned the last of the 93 octane and filled back up with 87 octane as a test to see if I can tell any difference in driveability and mpg plus listening closely for any pinging. Only drove for about 25 miles so far. Will know more in a few weeks. I figure that all the local fuel is probably a winter mix now so that might have caused a mpg drop anyway. No way to make accurate so I guess it will kinda be subjective results. Pic is average over 4000 plus miles you will notice the low speed average, most of these miles have been city driving with long remote starts that make it real low. Does much better on the highway but still not bad for this type of vehicle and it is not babied it is driven pretty hard actually.

post-127028-0-28094300-1476485477_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just tuned my 2016 Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Midnight Ed. today. Took some tweaking but all in all, I went stock on all shift, street firmness, street throttle and torque converter, rev limiter +300 and AFM @ 60 MPH. So far in a 75 mile drive, mpg increased by 1.3 from the DIC. I'll see how it goes over time. Won't tweak for a while so I can get to know these settings and figure out what I want. Cheers.

I had to turn the AFM completely off when using the tune. In V4 mode with light throttle application I was getting valvetrain pinging noise. This is a 6.2 8spd with 3.23 rear end. The pinging was happening at between 1250 to 1400 rpm and between 55 and 65 mph and only in V4 mode with slight throttle application. Example rolling along on a flat highway at around 65mph and come to a slight rise and apply a light throttle (not enough to change to V8 mode) that is when you could hear the valvetrain pinging noise. Hypertech asked me to send more info so i will be doing that. Right now I have removed the tune but I am still using the unit to control AFM and speed limiter. I do like the fact that you can change around easily whenever you like.

• 7 months later...

Hypertech Max energy 2.0 part 2000 for a 2016 6.2 Only mods to truck are GM Borla dual exh and Cold Air Induction CAI

The first time programmed I thought the speed limiter was how much would be added to the stock speed limiter so I hit 25mph and the truck would bog down LOL. Take your time and run through the options several times and ACTUALLY watch the CD (unlike me) After I figured everything out I used +500 for the rev limiter / 125 on speed limiter / premium tune / and set the AFM to only come on above 55 mph. Everything has worked perfectly for around 5000 miles on premium tune running tier one 93 octane gas. I can vouch for a good bit of mpg gains I believe it to be a 4 to 5 mpg gain from stock in this configuration. the Big Ole 6.2 feels like it is just idling along at highway speeds and the power is there when you need it and the CAI and exh make it real hard not to get on the go pedal LOL. Pic of a recent over 400 mile trip where it averaged 25mpg (6000 lb 4x4 420 hp engine COME ON MAN!)

I reset the tuine to "regular" fuel tune last week and just today burned the last of the 93 octane and filled back up with 87 octane as a test to see if I can tell any difference in driveability and mpg plus listening closely for any pinging. Only drove for about 25 miles so far. Will know more in a few weeks. I figure that all the local fuel is probably a winter mix now so that might have caused a mpg drop anyway. No way to make accurate so I guess it will kinda be subjective results. Pic is average over 4000 plus miles you will notice the low speed average, most of these miles have been city driving with long remote starts that make it real low. Does much better on the highway but still not bad for this type of vehicle and it is not babied it is driven pretty hard actually.
attachicon.gif12-1-16 premium tune 4000 miles.JPG

I'm receiving my HP tuner 2.0 today and hoping for some good results. Thanks for the recommendation I will definitely try this.

Yea, it's bad @ss. Just installed it last Friday and been enjoying it ever since. I selected street for all the tranny and converter options, regular gas till I run out and then I switch it to premium, +500 on all gears rev limiter and gave my tire demission for the speed calibration to be correct. When I get on it my tires sqeek like I have a shift kit. Lol this is how the truck should be stock.

Yea, it's bad @ss. Just installed it last Friday and been enjoying it ever since. I selected street for all the tranny and converter options, regular gas till I run out and then I switch it to premium, +500 on all gears rev limiter and gave my tire demission for the speed calibration to be correct. When I get on it my tires sqeek like I have a shift kit. Lol this is how the truck should be stock.

So this is for a 2017 5.3 6 speed, correct?

Does the directions explain the difference between sport, street, and other modes? What's the difference?

Also can you please explain exactly what the +500 on all the gears does. And how that effects normal driving/shifting.

Thanks

So this is for a 2017 5.3 6 speed, correct?

Does the directions explain the difference between sport, street, and other modes? What's the difference?

Also can you please explain exactly what the +500 on all the gears does. And how that effects normal driving/shifting.

Thanks

Here's a copy of the product manual:

http://www.hypertech.com/support-product-manuals.aspx

Archived