Leer Cap Install Advice

I should be getting by leer 100xl installed at the dearler this week, any advice from others?

I have the GM bedliner that goes over the front of the bed rail, do you need to cut off the top lip for the cap to sit flush?

Also, what is the preferred method for wiring the dome light? Tap the running lights, tap the trailer harness, or run a new wire to the fuse box?

Anything else I should be thinking of?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The canopy take 8min or less to wire to brake light. if your canopy seller is not doing this for free or a minimal charge find another canopy seller.

Why is the canopy dome light wired? Should just be an LED that runs off batteries. Mine does and its has lasted like 2year on 4AAA.

Nice Looking Cap. Snugtop are not found around my neck of the woods. The cap installer is providing the brake and dome light wire as part of the install. Just thinking ahead if anyone had advice as there are some options as to where to tap the dome light. i asked about the battery dome light option, but the cap installer recommended against them from his experience, so I trusted his judgement and went with the 12v. There was also an option for a prop switch that turned on the light when you opened the rear hatch, but the installer said he had lots of complaints about them, so i opted against that too.

My father has a Ranch Cap on his 14 Silverado, and it has been replaced twice under warranty already, and now his cap is leaking around the roof rack. Hopefully the Leer Cap will fair better for me.

also, do most people remove the 3rd brake light bulbs on the cab?

I have a Leer XR cap and love it! My only install advice is for the interior dome light. Mine is not a battery powered light and is hard wired like yours should be. If you have the factory under rail cargo lights on your bed then I suggest tapping your Leer dome light to the Factory under rail cargo light. This way you can turn your lights on from your dash! The brake light is straight forward and is tapped off of your Drivers side tail light. If you have the key less remote option to lock and unlock your cap make sure you solder the connection and do not use the t-connector provided from leer. *it kept failing on me until I soldered it*

P.S.: You do not have to worry aboot the bed liner. It will sit/fit fine with it there.

Why are you asking about how to install it if you are going to have it installed at the dealer? They will handle all that for you...

Tyler

He/She is not looking to install it themselves,and by reading his/hers post, I would assume he/she is looking for feedback/insight with installs. Is this not what the Fourm is for?

If you have the factory under rail cargo lights on your bed then I suggest tapping your Leer dome light to the Factory under rail cargo light. This way you can turn your lights on from your dash!

That would not work at all, as you would have to have the LED bed lights powered for that to work. Useless if you are just grabbing someone out quick. Go to cab turn on bed light which now already illuminated the canopy just to walk back around and press the dome light so it becomes slightly brighter, get your thing, turn off dome, and then go back to cab to turn off bed lights? Sounds like a sure path to insanity if you ask me.

Just tell them you want battery LED dome not wired. Take from the guy who camps out in the back of his and wired up a deep cycle battery which I do not even use for lights. Trust me it lasts years, no fuss no muss and wire up brake light in 8 mins drive away.

*I have also only ever used my actual factory bed lights a handful of time. I always just use that battery LED dome. Or have a flashlight with me if out in woods.

That would not work at all, as you would have to have the LED bed lights powered for that to work. Useless if you are just grabbing someone out quick. Go to cab turn on bed light which now already illuminated the canopy just to walk back around and press the dome light so it becomes slightly brighter, get your thing, turn off dome, and then go back to cab to turn off bed lights? Sounds like a sure path to insanity if you ask me.

Just tell them you want battery LED dome not wired. Take from the guy who camps out in the back of his and wired up a deep cycle battery which I do not even use for lights. Trust me it lasts years, no fuss no muss and wire up brake light in 8 mins drive away.

*I have also only ever used my actual factory bed lights a handful of time. I always just use that battery LED dome. Or have a flashlight with me if out in woods.

Well it works great for me and I can turn them off or on from the bed as well as in the cab. Again like I said this will only work if you have the LED bed lights from GM. Seeing as the leer tops come with wired led dome lights you could always add a battery powered led dome light too if you want to.

My dome light in my topper is wired hot. I have the bed led's wired so they turn on at the same time. All with a switch in the bed. Very convenient.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Still seems silly to me to have to go into the cab. I often go into the back without opening the cab, would not be terribly useful for me IMO.

Whished I would have asked on this fourm... I have my snugtop laid down and install was perfect! They used OEM KEY FOB to unlock the galss window in back. Once window is open a nice switch is mounted on left hand side to turn on/off LED STRIP. Would have been nice to know that I could have incorporated the Bed rail lights to that switch. Oh.....well live and learn I guess.

My point is poster is smart for coming here first and asking questions

Archived