I'm not sure how I came across this but has anybody heard much about the 6.5 Creedmore?

It supposedly has much less recoil and very close ballistics to the .308.

.308 ammo is much easier to come by, but yes the 6.5 cm is very comparable

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how I came across this but has anybody heard much about the 6.5 Creedmore?

It supposedly has much less recoil and very close ballistics to the .308.

As seansharley said the biggest draw back to the 6.5 creedmore is the availability of ammo. Other than that, its pretty much a better cartridge than the 308 ballistically. Two things I will point out, the barrel life on the creedmore with not be as long as a 308 (faster bullet + smaller bore = faster wear) but honestly it's not by much. If you are worried about shooting sub-MOA then both barrels would probably need replacing about the same time. The second thing is that the 308 was designed for a semi auto military rifle which equates to more reliable feed in a semi auto rifle. The 6.5 creedmore was designed for enhanced ballistics in a bolt action rifle. The main difference is a sharper angle of the case shoulder. I do not personally own a 6.5 creedmore rifle but I have talked to people who do and they have mentioned having some feed issues if their brass is not sized properly but again I have no personal experience with this.

not sure if this is an active thread or not, but if you havent already got a rifle, I love my .308...I would STRONLY encourage you to at least handle the weatherby vanguard S2. the trigger on that thing stock cannot be beat...breaks like glass!!! rifle is welll within your price range!

(as far as round goes, I have some budies that swear by the 270...so I dont think you will be disapointed either way...)

The Ruger American is a very cheaply made rifle. There are better options out there like a Browning A-Bolt 3 or Weatherby Vanguard. Higher quality and overall nicer rifles. The Weatherby 2-stage trigger is also a plus, very good factory trigger.

Sent from my iPhone6

via TapaTalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone handle a new Ruger precision? Claiming it can push the 6.5 out to 1600

I would say that the vast majority of deer hunters and all novice should avoid shooting out to 1600 yards. (myself included) that is a LONG way for a humane take. Even if a rifle can, doesnt mean the shooter should...JMO.

A 308 is pretty much the second choice in deer cartridge around here, right after the 30-30. I watched my grandfather take a lot of deer with a 308, they never ran very far...he used 150gr silvertips if I remember correctly. If you plan on an AR10 later on, that would be my vote.

I have a 270 for my daughter, I plan to load it with a lighter bullet and it'll do the trick without much recoil...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As everyone has said there both good choices, we have a huge hog problem at our deer lease and I walked up on a few sounders feeding with my 270 it always did the job. But I picked up a 308 in AR platform put a good scope on it. Its my choice now when I'm stalking in on the hogs anyway. It will shoot all kinds of 308 bullets weights and still puts them right in there. Shot many hogs now they usually just do a couple flips when hit. During the summer when the foliage is thick the scope is nice for picking them out and popping them through the woods.

The 270 is a derivative of the 30-06, using the same case and necking it down to .277 dia. The .270 will not recoil any more than an equivalently loaded 30-06. In fact, the use of lighter bullets in the .270 for deer is the norm. This will produce slightly less recoil than common deer bullet weights for the 06. The .308 Win and 30-06 are very close ballistically in the deer weight bullets.

Jack O'Connor shot about everything on the planet with a .270. You'll be fine for anything in PA, and the .270 will shoot a bit flatter than the 06/308 doing it.

The only caveat I have for the .270 is the bullet selection. .277 bullets are just not made in as many weights and styles as the .308 bullets.

I've faced this very decision in the past and can tell you I would opt for the .280 Remington over the .270 Win. The .280 Remington is based on a necked down 30-06 case just as the .270. The .280 Remington uses .284/7mm dia bullets of which there are nearly as many makers, weights and types as .308 and many many more than .277 bullets. The .280 and .270 are ballistically equivalent and differ only by .007" in actual diameter. Of course, if you don't reload and only shoot a deer or two a year with it, the bullet selection may not matter to you. But if you have ground hogs, prairie dogs, coyotes, etc, and an elk in mind, bullets may matter.

The debate has a hook. .308 Win can be in a short action. The .270/280 must be in a long action. It's a small difference in weight and length. But to some, it matters. If you are one that it matters to, there's still some choices out there to compare with the .308. I built a short action rifle in a .284 Win. It's a short case about like the .308 Win, but fatter. It makes for some near magnum velocities in a short action. The upside to a .308 Win is the availability of surplus ammo, if you want to shoot that stuff.

Don't forget there are the 7-08 and 260 Rem as well.

I agree with the Ruger assessment of being cheaply made. I would favor a used closet queen Rem 700 from the 70s or earlier. Remington's quality went south sometime after that.

The Weatherby Vangard was a well made Japanese import from Howa. Look for a Howa labeled rifle and you get the same barreled action for a lot less. Stocks may vary.

I worked on a synthetic stock for a Browning A-bolt once. I was trying to glass bed it and it was molded fiberglass reinforced thermoplastic. It was soft and would not take the glass bedding well. The action was very well made. That stock held that rifle back from shooting exceptionally.

A 308 is pretty much the second choice in deer cartridge around here, right after the 30-30. I watched my grandfather take a lot of deer with a 308, they never ran very far...he used 150gr silvertips if I remember correctly. If you plan on an AR10 later on, that would be my vote.

I have a 270 for my daughter, I plan to load it with a lighter bullet and it'll do the trick without much recoil...

30-30 or 30-06?

The Weatherby Vangard was a well made Japanese import from Howa. Look for a Howa labeled rifle and you get the same barreled action for a lot less. Stocks may vary.

My understanding is that it is based on the very well made howa as you said, but it is made to tigher weatherby specs, and final assembly (and inspection) is here in the USA...so although very similar, not the exact same rifle....also, it is my understanding that the S2 has a completely different trigger than the Howa (i know it is completely different from the original vangard).

I dont think you can beat this rifle at the price point (and you can get it in several rounds, including long action 270 and short action 308).

30-30 or 30-06?

30-30, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and a lot of them available...I'd bet every third rifle around here is a lever action 30-30, they are just dead reliable and cheap.

It probably goes 30-30, 308, 30-06/270, then the oddballs around here...

30-30, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and a lot of them available...I'd bet every third rifle around here is a lever action 30-30, they are just dead reliable and cheap.

It probably goes 30-30, 308, 30-06/270, then the oddballs around here...

the op stated 325 yards, that takes the 30-30 out of the equation imo. .270 better, flatter for the distance,but too much kick for women. .308 with muzzle break would be very mild and go the distance well. fort scott makes .168 gr hunting rounds that are shaped to tumble at the tip, the damage caused is unreal.

Archived