Just moved to Upstate NY; never driven in snow before

I was born in Alabama, raised in Florida, and went to college in South Carolina. I drive a V6, 2 wheel drive Silverado. And kinda suddenly I was just transferred to the Watertown, NY area. I have no idea what to do regarding weather below maybe 20 degrees at the lowest. And I've never driven in snow before. Please enlighten me and everything you guys know and advice you can give lol.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive slow, give at least 2 car lengths distance on roads around town and 4-6 lengths minimum on the highway, Snow tires will be a must on a 2wd truck, put weight in the bed (sandbag tubes from lowes or home depot) or pony up and get a 4wd. That area gets some of the biggest amount of snowfall in the country.

Its like driving in red mud, except a whole slot slicker. You will learn to appreciate the traction control, ABS, stabilitrak, etc very quickly. Like Steve said, add weight to the back of the truck, just guessing but about 400 pounds to start with, and a good set of snow tires.

Slow and steady is your friend in a 2wd. Manual shifting can come in handy, especially going up a hill. If you'd notmally be in 3rd, go to 4th. You don't want too much torque breaking the tires free when you step on the gas. If you can avoid stopping do it, it doesn't take much to get a 2wd stuck especially if you don't have locking rear. I remember my 2wd s10 got stuck on a 6"x6" piece of ice directly under one read tire lol.

I was born in Alabama, raised in Florida, and went to college in South Carolina. I drive a V6, 2 wheel drive Silverado. And kinda suddenly I was just transferred to the Watertown, NY area. I have no idea what to do regarding weather below maybe 20 degrees at the lowest. And I've never driven in snow before. Please enlighten me and everything you guys know and advice you can give lol.

I live about an hour below Watertown, near Syracuse NY and we average 120" of snow a year. But, quite a bit is fluffy Lake Effect snow.

2WD is tough, but like others said, good snows and weight in the bed. One thing that helps us is that the plows up here know how to keep the roads pretty clear.

If parked outside, remote start is your best friend -temps at night can easily get below 0 in January/ February.

Welcome to the North!

Watertown eh? Might want to get your self a set of 4 snow tires. Watertown area is king of lake effect. And a LOT of it. I see you say you have Duratracs? I've had great luck in the snow with those. They are a severe snow rated tire too which is nice.

I lived in Chittenango for a bit...Glava is right. With that lake effect it can flurry for days. Had a front wh Dr car at the time and snow builds quick. Good set of snows, common sense and watching out for the other guy is key. Live in Mass again and biggest word of advice is leave before it gets bad and leave a huge amnt of room between you and the other guy. I leave prob 10 car lengths.....oh and steer into the slide

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I swapped out the crappy Continental street tires that got me stuck in gravel and sand parking lots for some one size taller than stock Duratracs early on. Are they decent?

Decent yes,

But I would recommend dedicated snows

I run Firestone Winterforce on 4 wheels, they will be going on as soon as I return from Florida.

Plus they are on dedicated wheels, so my polished wheels stay nice

.....oh and steer into the slide

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Probly the best advice on here. With 2wd, you will spend alot of time sideways, you better know how to keep it out of the ditch. I would seriously tell you to go to the back corner of the walmart parking lot the first time it snows and try steering out of a skid. You'd rather have some practice in before it happens on a road with cars around you.

When they say snow tires, they mean get an extra set of wheels with the snow tires mounted on them so you dont have to mount and balance them on and off every season.

Honestly I wouldn't do snow tires. They no doubt help, but overkill imo on a 5500 lb truck that your just driving on roads. You'll be fine with good all seasons that are meant for a truck.

Use auto4wd for light stuff, and 4wdhi if there are no dry patches on the road.

OP doesnt have 4wd, hence the recommendation from everyone to get snow tires.

When they say snow tires, they mean get an extra set of wheels with the snow tires mounted on them so you dont have to mount and balance them on and off every season.

Honestly I wouldn't do snow tires. They no doubt help, but overkill imo on a 5500 lb truck that your just driving on roads. You'll be fine with good all seasons that are meant for a truck.

Use auto4wd for light stuff, and 4wdhi if there are no dry patches on the road.

Archived