Just moved to Upstate NY; never driven in snow before

Slow and steady is your friend in a 2wd. Manual shifting can come in handy, especially going up a hill. If you'd notmally be in 3rd, go to 4th. You don't want too much torque breaking the tires free when you step on the gas. If you can avoid stopping do it, it doesn't take much to get a 2wd stuck especially if you don't have locking rear. I remember my 2wd s10 got stuck on a 6"x6" piece of ice directly under one read tire lol.

Manual mode can't force an upshift, it can only force a downshift.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there could be several points.. one of the most important being towing, wanting to hold the gear longer, and also another point would be grade braking assist, when you're up at 11,000 ft going down the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel towards Silverthorne on I-70, you want to stay off the brakes as much as possible and let the transmission do the work of helping to maintain speed.

Well than what's the bloody point of having a manual mode?

It locks out the upper gears. No truck sold today has the useless manu-matic crap cars use. The gear lockout is far more useful, especially considering how new automatics always try to get to upper gears asap.

AFAIK, studded aren't legal in MI unless you're a postal carrier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought they were legal in the UP. Anyway, I've done plenty of driving in snow and never needed studs. If you stay on paved roads that get plowed regularly, just drive a proper speed for the conditions. Yes sometimes side streets are covered in ice. But main roads get salted so much that they never turn to ice after a storm is over.

Interesting information about the "M" mode. The term "manual" is misleading with these transmissions. However, snow driving puts another check in the plus column for manual transmissions!

Not really...drove a manual for a lot of years, an automatic has the advantage because it is consistent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Not really...drove a manual for a lot of years, an automatic has the advantage because it is consistent.

Interesting perspective. I find the manual to be much more consistent than an automatic. It will stay in the gear that you want, when you want. They are particularly advantageous when getting started on a slippery surface and also they will not automatically shift to a higher gear on a slippery surface.

Automatics are reactive. Manuals are proactive. Manual wins every time.

Yeah, if you could actually run a clutch, the clutch isn't grabby, and your left leg is calibrated 100% everyday...most can barely make a manual move. Too many points for OPERATOR ERROR to affect the outcome.

I put a lot of miles on a handshaker, been there, done that. I prefer a manual also, but in today's world where 99% of drivers have never ran a clutch, let alone owned one...telling someone new that a manual is far superior is a mistake.

Yeah, if you could actually run a clutch, the clutch isn't grabby, and your left leg is calibrated 100% everyday...most can barely make a manual move. Too many points for OPERATOR ERROR to affect the outcome.

I put a lot of miles on a handshaker, been there, done that. I prefer a manual also, but in today's world where 99% of drivers have never ran a clutch, let alone owned one...telling someone new that a manual is far superior is a mistake.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Archived