Just moved to Upstate NY; never driven in snow before

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting information about the "M" mode. The term "manual" is misleading with these transmissions. However, snow driving puts another check in the plus column for manual transmissions!

Not even close. Having driven both types plenty it isn't hard at all to control downshifts in an auto.

Running a clutch is coveralls and boots is overrated

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Running a clutch is overrated. This absurd manual love is amusing. People complain about the loss of them yet no one actually buys them.

I'm in the Buffalo southtowns where we get significant snow as well....not uncommon to get several feet in a day. Just had a storm a couple years ago where we got 10 feet over a few days! At the time I was driving an awd cadillac with Blizzaks with no problems. I drove a Z28 through a couple winters with posi, blizzaks and a couple hundred lbs weight and no problems whatsoever. Like most have said, snow tires are your best friend. My method: Anything 2wd gets dedicated snows (usually wheels too so I can just swap myself), even small SUVs get dedicated snows (rav4, cherokee). Only ones I didn't are my current explorer and Sierra. I feel these bigger trucks with 4wd don't necessarily need them as long as you have decent all seasons. Although I just got the Sierra so we'll see how the stock LSAs are in snow.

Running a clutch is overrated. This absurd manual love is amusing. People complain about the loss of them yet no one actually buys them.

If this truck was offered in a manual I absolutely would have gone that route. The first positive I can think of is a lot less threads complaining about these automatics hard shifting.

Yeah, if you could actually run a clutch, the clutch isn't grabby, and your left leg is calibrated 100% everyday...most can barely make a manual move. Too many points for OPERATOR ERROR to affect the outcome.

I put a lot of miles on a handshaker, been there, done that. I prefer a manual also, but in today's world where 99% of drivers have never ran a clutch, let alone owned one...telling someone new that a manual is far superior is a mistake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Manual is superior, not having the experience on one does not change that fact. All else equal, with an experienced driver, manual is superior in everything except stop and go traffic.

Very closed thinking. I would say around 90% of the cars outside the US are manual, probably closer to 95%+ if you are taking North America out of the equation. It is just the laziness and inattentiveness of American drivers that has led to this trend. Get people actually paying attention to the road again.

Oh and I own 2 manuals, I prefer them because they have better control, better response and more driver engagement. They used to be able to be shifted faster but it seems technology has passed the human ability in that department.

If this truck was offered in a manual I absolutely would have gone that route. The first positive I can think of is a lot less threads complaining about these automatics hard shifting.

Agree 100%

It is bothersome to me why you would choose to refer to my preference as "absurd manual love". You are correct that no one buys them anymore because they are not available in Canada or the US. I owned seven manual trucks prior to being forced to switch to an Automatic. I understand the evolution from manuals to automatics, and the EPA's influence. I know they are not likely coming back and I haven't romanticized them in my memory. I was stating my preference based on my experiences. I should be able to share my experiences without being mocked. I would actually buy one!

Well you can't buy them if it's not offered. MY '86 was a manual and it's what I learned on and I loved it, even in city driving. My '98 I looked for a manual, but the only ones for sale were tore up and beat to hell so I just went with a common auto. What seems to have happened is less and less people prefer manual because that's one thing they have to constantly do. It also keeps them from being able to use their phone while driving. I myself love a manual because your'e more in control of the vehicle. If I ever got a muscle/pony car it would have to be a manual, wouldn't even think about an auto. I'm even starting to see more and more auto shift kits on the manual trans of 18 wheelers. It's still a manual transmission, just has an auto shift kit added to it. I myself prefer the manual even in an 18 wheeler and I've done plenty of trucking in the mountains where you're constantly shifting. Also it seems like there's less to break on a manual transmission.

Well than what's the bloody point of having a manual mode?

.Keep rpm up (same idea as tow/haul mode) -- for improved powertrain braking when going downhill and to to reduce rapid shift cycling when going up hill.

Manuals are a thing of the past, like it or not. Even the big rigs are going away from manuals. Oh sure you can still get a Vette with a manual, but even the automatics are posting better times and fuel economy vs the manuals on the tracks now.

Archived