Just moved to Upstate NY; never driven in snow before

I lived in northern Canada for several years and mostly owned 2 wheel drive pickups. Steve and the others give good advice. Weight over your drive wheels and good tires (on all four wheels) are the key. I would also add to always keep a shovel. blanket and other appropriate supplies in your vehicle during snowy conditions. You can find yourself stuck at the side of the road as a result of other peoples' mistakes. Four wheel drive trucks are great for recreational purposes and ease of driving but tend to get the inexperienced into trouble on snowy urban roads!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get blizzaks all 4 corners & sandbags in the rear....I have said before on this site 2wd on studded snows > 4wd on s**t "all season" or "all terrain" tires.

I used to take my 400+hp rwd stalled bolted G8 GT through western NY & VT ski country drove through blizzards where i literally saw SUV's & trucks slide off the highway while my car stuck to the road.

Get snows mounted, take the truck to a big open parking lot @ first heavy snowfall & practice getting used to driving in the white stuff & how the truck performs. Besides mounting snow tires and adding weight in the back another good piece of advice is get used to being more deliberate & pre-meditated w/ your driving inputs - snow driving & impulsive inputs don't do well together.

I would also keep some squares of scrap rug or mats in the truck along w/ a shovel & rock salt too just in case

When they say snow tires, they mean get an extra set of wheels with the snow tires mounted on them so you dont have to mount and balance them on and off every season.

Honestly I wouldn't do snow tires. They no doubt help, but overkill imo on a 5500 lb truck that your just driving on roads. You'll be fine with good all seasons that are meant for a truck.

Use auto4wd for light stuff, and 4wdhi if there are no dry patches on the road.

4wd is great for getting moving and/or unstuck.....but stopping, turning, handling, control are all going to be sacrificed running all season tires regardless of 4wd.

Like I said 2wd w/ studded snows & weight > 4wd on all seasons

But throw dedicated snows on a 4wd pickup? Well then you get to enjoy what I do every winter - ZERO change in my driving habits & 100% confidence on the road. It is AMAZING how well my truck handles blizzard conditions rocking a level, studded snows, & 4wd HI - passing plows @ 60 mph w/ 7-8" of white stuff packed on the interstate heading north to meet a blizzard for some serious kung pow pow? Oh yeah no problemo

I second pretty much everyone who posted already. Snow tires are your best friend in the winter and extra weight in the bed for 2WD. Slow down and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles.

I don't think anyone mentioned it and I'm not sure how much salt they use in Watertown, but if it's like Vermont, I'd recommend a weekly car wash to clean off the salt & under carriage.

along with what people above said, start slowing down WAY earlier than you normally would for red lights, stop signs and turns. Once you start sliding it is nearly impossible to get stopped in any reasonable distance if the roads are slick.

4wd is great for getting moving and/or unstuck.....but stopping, turning, handling, control are all going to be sacrificed running all season tires regardless of 4wd.

Like I said 2wd w/ studded snows & weight > 4wd on all seasons

But throw dedicated snows on a 4wd pickup? Well then you get to enjoy what I do every winter - ZERO change in my driving habits & 100% confidence on the road. It is AMAZING how well my truck handles blizzard conditions rocking a level, studded snows, & 4wd HI - passing plows @ 60 mph w/ 7-8" of white stuff packed on the interstate heading north to meet a blizzard for some serious kung pow pow? Oh yeah no problemo

4 wd with studded snows is an awesome combination! I sincerely hope you don't lose your confidence the hard way. It would be interesting to hear stories from snowplow drivers!

You'll be surprised how well a 2wd with snow tires handles the snow. Get an extra set of rims, mount some snow tires, and put a few sandbags over the back axle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree.

Stay off the roads if you can. If not, go SLOW. Your biggest challenge is stopping, not going.

The good news is that most accidents I see when it's snowing are pretty minor. Fender bender stuff. The bad news is there are lots of 'em.

like said above, snows, snows and yes on all four will really make driving nicer, may even consider a set of studded tires, weight over the rear, (sand bags) there great if you get stuck to open up and use for traction, also as said above grab a blanket, and some snacks, also a shovel, if its bad grab a beverage on the way. if for any reason you will be running the I 81 corridor you will learn real quick how thing can change, Honestly water town is just barely above the typical snow belt, but they get there share, about half way to adams center, down to parish is the bullseye, buy a good set of wiper blades and get in the habit of keeping a full tank.

Last bit of advise, spend a few grand on a cheap snowmobile and see if you like it, sure will make living there alot more enjoyable, and they get some serious snow

Well you could easily get dumped on regularly being in Watertown. Toss a good amount of weight in the bed, get 4 good snows (maybe even studded), be easy on the gas and brakes and give yourself plenty of distance to stop.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Archived