Screen dead?

I have a 2014 Sierra and the screen went out yesterday. It is totally black. Wondering if anyone else has had this? I have 30k so my worry is that i get this replaced and run out of warranty and it happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unplug the battery and plug it back in. The dealership told me it's an issue GM is trying to address but there is no fix so they told me it was the only way to fix it for now.

Edited by sierraguy2015

Does the screen light up? As in when you put the key to on the screen goes from black to lit up black? You can tell a difference, like it powered up but didn't boot. If it's lighting up but not ever initializing it's probably an issue with the communication bus, loose connection somewhere. If it doesn't even do that the screen is possibly dead.

I have had my screen go out once or twice while driving but it came back right back on. Disconnecting the battery for a hard reboot is a good idea. Have to keep an eye on this thread for updates. Keep us up to date.

it is a known issue with in the software that affects the HMI module that runs everything. My truck is sitting at the dealer right now waiting on the GM Field Service Engineer to show up with a beta update to try out on my truck. It is the update that GM is going to release Q1 of 2017 that will address the issue. I am on my 4th HMI module right now. Pulling the battery doesn't always reset it either, depends on if it is just a software crash in the HMI module or if the software crash bricks the HMI module and turns it into a hardware issue.

I should hopefully know something today, the dealer has had my truck since last Monday, the FSE has been on site waiting on the GM engineer to do his job and mail the freaking update to us. He forgot for 3 days to mail it, then when he sent it we got hit with 5" of snow so FedEx didn't deliver the USB drive on Friday so the FSE could come over and install the update.

• Like 1

it is a known issue with in the software that affects the HMI module that runs everything. My truck is sitting at the dealer right now waiting on the GM Field Service Engineer to show up with a beta update to try out on my truck. It is the update that GM is going to release Q1 of 2017 that will address the issue. I am on my 4th HMI module right now. Pulling the battery doesn't always reset it either, depends on if it is just a software crash in the HMI module or if the software crash bricks the HMI module and turns it into a hardware issue.

I should hopefully know something today, the dealer has had my truck since last Monday, the FSE has been on site waiting on the GM engineer to do his job and mail the freaking update to us. He forgot for 3 days to mail it, then when he sent it we got hit with 5" of snow so FedEx didn't deliver the USB drive on Friday so the FSE could come over and install the update.

^ I had this issue and the dealer update fixed it.

The dealer doesn't have the update I am getting. It is the beta update that GM is finalizing for release. The only way to get this update is via a USB drive that only the FSE have access to as of now. Once this update gets released it will go into the GM Global system that the dealer use.

The dealer doesn't have the update I am getting. It is the beta update that GM is finalizing for release. The only way to get this update is via a USB drive that only the FSE have access to as of now. Once this update gets released it will go into the GM Global system that the dealer use.

It may depend on the trim of truck he has. I think the io3 update was ready last June or something, but I haven't checked recently to get mine fixed.

I actually figured it out. It was in fact dead. I pulled the glove box and jiggled the wires out of the module and it flickered and came on. Messed around with it for a while, never went back out. I'm having the trans looked at Thursday so I'll tell them what happened. My wife was driving me nuts with her bitchin.

• Like 1