I live in NH but bought my truck in VT. Paid a $27.00 title fee and that was it. No sales tax as NH does not have sales tax per say but they charge us a ton to register each year so its just a hidden tax.

You may not have even realized you were paying it. Often they are listed as "doc" (documentation) or "administrative" fees and are tacked on in the business office.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may not have even realized you were paying it. Often they are listed as "doc" (documentation) or "administrative" fees and are tacked on in the business office.

I just looked at my paperwork. It shows price of truck that we agreed upon and $27.00 title fee. Do you want to see a picture of it?

I just looked at my paperwork. It shows price of truck that we agreed upon and $27.00 title fee. Do you want to see a picture of it?

Maybe you ran into an honest/ethical dealer. I heard there was one on the planet.

Just picked up my new 2017 1500 LTZ yesterday. Signed the deal and paid deposit last week. On the 11th a new set of $1500 of incentives were put out by GM. My truck was repriced by the dealer from our contract price which was a nice surprise and I did not have to ask for.

MSRP 53295

Paid 40667

OTD with TTL and everything - 43634.48

About 24% off MSRP before TTL. Included in those fees are $150 doc fee, 192.50 license, 74.79 inventory tax, 7 inspection (state), 10 deputy service fee, 2541 taxes.

I had been quote much higher in documentation fees by other dealers with the highest in Phoenix at $599. While I hate documentation fees it was not hidden from me. I had the OTD quote prior to my arrival itemized. The truck was discounted by the dealer to ~150 over employee pricing prior to incentives without even negotiating and was the cheapest deal I could find.

Of those fees there is an argument for not paying documentation or the dealer tax only. The rest are required by the state. I could have fought and spent another couple hours threatening to leave but $220 isnt worth the ill will. I flew in to Dallas, was met at the airport by my salesman (20-30 minute drive), my truck was ready when I arrived and I was on the road in an hour.

Just picked up my new 2017 1500 LTZ yesterday. Signed the deal and paid deposit last week. On the 11th a new set of $1500 of incentives were put out by GM. My truck was repriced by the dealer from our contract price which was a nice surprise and I did not have to ask for.

MSRP 53295

Paid 40667

OTD with TTL and everything - 43634.48

About 24% off MSRP before TTL. Included in those fees are $150 doc fee, 192.50 license, 74.79 inventory tax, 7 inspection (state), 10 deputy service fee, 2541 taxes.

I had been quote much higher in documentation fees by other dealers with the highest in Phoenix at $599. While I hate documentation fees it was not hidden from me. I had the OTD quote prior to my arrival itemized. The truck was discounted by the dealer to ~150 over employee pricing prior to incentives without even negotiating and was the cheapest deal I could find.

Of those fees there is an argument for not paying documentation or the dealer tax only. The rest are required by the state. I could have fought and spent another couple hours threatening to leave but $220 isnt worth the ill will. I flew in to Dallas, was met at the airport by my salesman (20-30 minute drive), my truck was ready when I arrived and I was on the road in an hour.

I believe the dealer is obliged to pass along whatever incentives you qualify for at the time of delivery even if unknown at the time of order. The chances that he did this out of the goodness of his heart are slim.

Doc fees should be counted as part of the sales price. They are essentially added dealer profit.

Once a dealer charges a doc fee he must do so always to avoid a lawsuit. You want to find out about fees upfront and insist they be deducted from the sales price. Some states require they be disclosed upfront. In other states they are sprung on you in the business office: "What's this $400 fee for? --- Oh, that's just the doc fee, everyone pays it."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a newer truck.I have a 1993 GMC Sonoma it's a great truck. Not so great in snowing weather.it also smokes when starting doesn't last long. I looking 2004 canyon 4x4 any suggestions

I believe the dealer is obliged to pass along whatever incentives you qualify for at the time of delivery even if unknown at the time of order. The chances that he did this out of the goodness of his heart are slim.

Doc fees should be counted as part of the sales price. They are essentially added dealer profit.

Once a dealer charges a doc fee he must do so always to avoid a lawsuit. You want to find out about fees upfront and insist they be deducted from the sales price. Some states require they be disclosed upfront. In other states they are sprung on you in the business office: "What's this $400 fee for? --- Oh, that's just the doc fee, everyone pays it."

One should focus on the cash price, never be rich borrowing money.

• 4 weeks later...

Give it a few months and you will defiantly get a better deal.

Are the trucks identical option/model/trim. The incentives very for these reasons. Usually the more expensive the truck the more incentive.

I did my trade when the 20% / 0% financing was on plus other incentives at the dealer and pulled the asking price down by $14,000.

How often do they offer the 20% off/0% financing?

Archived