Regret your 3/4?

I guess you could say, that yes the 5.3/8 speed combo can tow, but is its intended use towing? What are the gear ratios in the 8 speed (how many ODs does it have?)

I noticed that w/ the 6 speed in the gassers, the gearing jumps from 1.15 (in 4th) to .85 (in 5th). Sometimes I wish when I driving around town that there was a 1:1 gear (more so in my '11 since it had the 3.73s). Also with that truck (unloaded) I only used 6th on the freeway if I was going 60 or faster. If I was doing 50 on a highway w/ moderate and/or short hills, I had to keep the trans' in 5th. If the truck was in 6th, it would downshift @ the slightest grade (even when empty).

First: 4.56 4.03
Second: 2.97 2.36
Third: 2.08 1.53
Fourth: 1.69 1.15
Fifth: 1.27 0.85
Sixth: 1.00 0.67
Seventh: 0.85 N/A
Eighth 0.65 N/A
Reverse: 3.82 3.06

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First: 4.56 4.03
Second: 2.97 2.36
Third: 2.08 1.53
Fourth: 1.69 1.15
Fifth: 1.27 0.85
Sixth: 1.00 0.67
Seventh: 0.85 N/A
Eighth 0.65 N/A
Reverse: 3.82 3.06

Thanks!

Always able to maintain freeway speed, but I was only in 8th gear for a very few miles, rarely in 7th, most of the time in 5th or 6th. Once in awhile it dropped to 4th.

Looking at those ratios, no wonder you dropped down to 5th or 6th during the tow.

Especially with taller diff ratios. The top two gears of the 6 and the 8 are almost identical.

In reality it is a wash between them. We deal with the same thing in larger commercial trucks. if one has a taller diff ratio, then you need a trans that offers more gearing and a deeper reduction on the bottom. No rocket science. Of course the 8 speed needs a 4.56 bottom reduction because it is having to turn taller diff ratios. With a 4.10 in a 2500, 4.03 is quite adequate for taking off and it can stay in the top two far longer. The only appreciable advantage of the 8 over the 6 is in the gear ratios below Overdrives. They are a little tighter which keep the engine closer in the ideal RPM range on shifts. Not by a lot, but it does. Frankly, I would love to see 12 speed transmission in all of these pickups. Even a 2500 with a 4.10 ratio. All for the reason I mentioned... keeping the engine in the optimal RPM band between shifts. By reducing etc engine RPM spread and lag between shifts, a 2500 with 4.10 and even the 6.0 gasser would be a killer pulling machine. Same for the 1500's. They would perform even better. I have always been on board that there is no such thing as too many gears in the trans. Especially on taller diff ratios. That is why I have 18 gears in my commercial truck.

Here in Canada, Shell is selling (dispensed from 2 separate nozzles) V Power Diesel & Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

My understanding is that the premium diesel has a higher cetane rating

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Got my first diesel in August. 2016 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ. I had been wanting a diesel for many, many years.

Just over 6000 miles on it now. The only thing I pull is a boat that weighs about 5000lb. so all of my previous trucks pulled it just fine.

After coming from 2 1500s I found that I really missed the 2500HD. The Duramax was icing on the cake! I don't mind the added noise because it really isn't that much. The LML is surprisingly quiet. General maintenance is a bit more but not bad. 2 more quart of oil over the 5.3L is nothing. DEF is cheap and a gallon is good for about 1000 miles. Fuel filters aren't expensive either. Not sure if I will do mine myself or take it to the dealer. Current fuel prices in my area make the gas and diesel just about the same per mile.

Regrets? Nope. None. I love my truck. You said you were considering it while you were young and could afford it. Pull the trigger! There are still some 2016s around with awesome deals on them! You won't be sorry.

My previous vehicles were:

2004 2500HD 6.0L Crew Cab 4x4 LT

2010 Suburban 4x4 LT

2012 1500 4x4 LT 5.3L

2014 1500 4x4 LT 5.3L

The thread topic was a little deceiving but i'll throw my two cents in. I came from a basic single cab half ton to a crew 2500hd gasser and I love it. The looks, the power, the capability..granted it sucks gas like a fiend but i'd never go back. I don't have any need for a 2500hd but as they say "peace through superior firepower"..or if I ever buy a camper.

My understanding is that the premium diesel has a higher cetane rating

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It can. Some additives will bump the cetane a little. Again, Premium diesel is just regular diesel that has had some additives mixed in. But.... biodiesel will add more lubricity and will improve cetane also. And generally, it is already mixed in varying levels at the same pumps as any other diesel so it doesn't cost anything to the consumer. It is only required to be labeled as such if the amount of bio is 5% or more.

There is no Federal Trade Commission oversight as it pertains to so-called "premium" diesel like there is premium gasoline, so it is subjective and most times purely a marketing thing to attract buyers. All one can do is ask the retailer what they are mixing in to lay claim to the term "Premium Diesel".

I went from a 2015 1500 5.3 LT Z71. Love that truck. But then we decided to purchase a 5th wheel. The 1500 wasn't going to cut it pulling a 5th wheel. So we purchased my current truck which is a 2016 2500 LTZ Duramax Z71. We just returned from a 2500 mile trip pulling our 5th wheel from California up to the Olympic Peninsula and back to California . It did a beautiful job pulling the trailer in snow, rain, and hail. We had plenty of power, and handled everything that mother nature and I required of it. I could not be more happy.

Well, I would have indeed been shocked if it hadn't done a stellar job! Lots and lots of commercial users pulling TT's from factory to dealerships nationwide do quite well with the setup you have.

Picked up my '16 Crew 2500 LT Duramax Z71 4x4 last July. Came from a '15 1500 that I put 26k miles on in just under a year. Loved my 1500, but I'm infatuated with my 2500. It's a 4 ton hot rod that gets 15mpg with me lead footing it around town, and has plenty in reserve when pulling my 36' travel trailer, or utility trailer with 9k lbs of kit on it. I've had 1500's and 2500's in the past, and have really enjoyed them all. They each have their purpose, just depends on how much tonnage you feel inclined to haul around. My '15 1500 was probably the best riding truck I've ever owned when it comes to commuting in city traffic, but it showed when hauling heavy loads. And when I maxed out my tongue weight with a heavy trailer I had to be very mindful of what I had in the bed and how many passengers were aboard.

For me, for right now, the 2500's where it's at. For sure! Unless I find a steal of a deal on a 3500 srw truck at some point that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that to be true almost across the trim levels when you compare gas 1500's to 2500's. Very little difference in price after the deal is negotiated out. Sure, difference on the sticker, but I an others have experience some really cost slashing when it comes to buying the gasser 2500's. It has become quite common for $9000 -$10,000 off on a 2500. Even with the small differences, the 2500's generally come with stuff that are optional on 1500's so it is worth it.

I found that to be true almost across the trim levels when you compare gas 1500's to 2500's. Very little difference in price after the deal is negotiated out. Sure, difference on the sticker, but I an others have experience some really cost slashing when it comes to buying the gasser 2500's. It has become quite common for $9000 -$10,000 off on a 2500. Even with the small differences, the 2500's generally come with stuff that are optional on 1500's so it is worth it.

My sense of value does not allow me to buy a 1/2 ton. By my math:

My 2500 cost me 35k brand new.

1500/2500 = .6

.6 x 35k = 21k.

Therefore, I will pay no more than 21k for a brand new half ton, otherwise I am overpaying.

I kid! Just a bad math joke. Everyone relax :)

I got my 14 Texas edition for 27K before ttl, it was loaded pretty good and road great. Not nocking the 3/4 ton I've had plenty for work and ran them with plenty of tools and equipment in the back so they didn't ride bad. But empty and finding deals throu packaging you'll get better deals on 1/2 tons and much better fuel mileage.

Archived