Automatic Climate Control Retrofit

I know this has been attempted a couple of times and met with failure and even a few people have said it can't be done... So...

challenge-accepted-barney-5619.jpeg

First off, I am in the middle of completing this but I have done the research and will update the thread as I complete more of it. So far I have the automatic control cluster working, this means in manual mode, dial temp up, temp goes up, dial fan down fan goes down, it will halfway work (No blower speed control) with just the cluster alone. It will 3/4 of the way work with just the cluster and the control module, basically all the manual controls will work, not ATC. I am waiting on the duct temp sensors and the control module connectors to show up so I can build my harnesses and tie it all in together.

Okay, let me go in to the things you are going to need to attempt this retro fit, and let me preface by saying that I am not doing a dual zone climate control so the passenger side will be left in sync the whole time, more on that later, but here is what you need, part numbers included but no promises on the part numbers:

1. Automatic climate control dash unit (The knobs) 23486614 (GM blue lighting)

2. Automatic climate control HVAC control module (If you don't have this from the factory yours is different) 13591693

3. The dash sensor used in the automatic climate control system. 13578464

4. Temp sensors (2 of these will be needed) 23154698

Okay, here is what we are working with, in the non-ATC (Automatic Temp Control) system you still have 3 of the major components that are used in the ATC setup, those being the Mode Door Actuator, Inlet Door Actuator and Air Temp Door Actuator (Driver side, which is actually total system in the non-ATC), what we are lacking here is the temp door actuator right, the passenger side temp control. But since we don't want to pull the air box (Requiring the dash to be pulled) we are going to ignore that and just go single zone ATC.

The other parts we are missing are all the temp sensors, normally in an ATC setup there are 5 additional temp sensors, driver lower and upper, passenger lower and upper and interior temp/sunlight sensor which is on the dash, we have one of those but it doesn't have all the components we need to function in an automatic climate control system.

The other issue is the control module, which is a bitch to get to, it is upper left of the HMI module and hard to wrestle out but it can be done. This module in the non-atc form only has 2 of the 4 connectors, X2 and X3, we are going to have to add the other two connectors. This is the standard Delphi .64 20 pin connector, all 4 are the same and can be had for about $2/ea, I will provide a part number later or you can look it up in the upfitter manual (My bible).

X1 is where we are going to tie the the dash sensor, it is different if you don't have onStar (Do those people exist?), also known as RPO code UE1, check your upper glove box. But basically you are going to 2 extra wires back from the dash sensor via X1, a lot of work for two wires.

X4 is a bit more involved, but not really. X4 controls the passenger temp control blend door (Which we aren't doing for the reasons stated above) and is where the duct temp sensors wire in to (Mostly). The driver upper duct temp sensor ties in to X3, so you will have to add it to the existing connector. The driver lower sensor ties in to X4 but goes back to the same ground as the driver on X3 along side the ground for the A/C evap temp sensor. The passenger side temp upper/lower sensors also tie into X4 but we are skipping those (Unless I run in to problems but I will update the post if that is the case.)

And that is basically it, as you can see you are only adding around 6 wires, but you also need to add the X1 and X4 connectors. This should give you a single zone automatic climate control, I am not even going to try to retrofit the dual zone, it is a RCSB after all. My temp sensors arrive next week and then the week after that the X1 and X4 connectors should be in, once they are I will build the required harnesses and update you guys on how it works.

Stay tuned!

-K

you the man darth, thx for all the info

Let me know if you have any more questions, this was easier than I thought and can be done for around $100 if you get some of the parts used off eBay. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I get my connectors from Mouser.com usually, this is the part number I used. Had to grind down the center tab, all have the same pins but there is a center tab that is offset differently for each one, so I just ordered the one and modified to fit.

post-148500-0-26233000-1488836971_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/4/2017 at 6:35 PM, Harlech said:

Finished it up yesterday, works like a charm!

Kyle - I'm determined to get Auto Climate Control in my 2015 Silverado I just picked up.   Thanks for the detail on how you were able to accomplish this.  I have everything on order now, down to the molex connectors that are needed in your description above.  What I cannot find is the wiring diagram of the X1/X2/X3/X4 connectors into the Control Module.   Can you please let me know where you found that so I can grab it .   BTW, my new control module 13591693 has J1,J2,J3,J4 not the X....   I assume your had it as well?  And the driver upper and lower duct temp sensors - where did you mount them?  

Edited by Levahj

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 1:05 PM, Harlech said:

Let me know if you have any more questions, this was easier than I thought and can be done for around $100 if you get some of the parts used off eBay. Well worth the money in my opinion.

How would I get my digital climate control to work if I had the manual one prior? I don't need the automatic temperature to work, I just want to be able to control the temperature and the blow speed.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 7:39 PM, ocarcamo said:

How would I get my digital climate control to work if I had the manual one prior? I don't need the automatic temperature to work, I just want to be able to control the temperature and the blow speed.

Thank you.

Really won't work unless you do the whole thing. You have to have the digital controls and the control module. If you have those two you can manually adjust everything and not run it in auto mode. The digital controls can be hooked up in place of the manual with the manual controller but I don't think the blower speed adjustment will work, if I remember correctly it just blows full speed. But if you're going far enough to get the control module you might as well as the sensors, just need the dash sensor and two vent sensors, pretty cheap and then Auto will work for the driver side controls at least.