Gorehamj

GM SUVs Score Low On IIHS Headlight Testing

post-139450-0-74793000-1497456366_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-14-2017

General Motors crossovers and SUVs have scored relatively low in a new round of testing by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Institute started to test and evaluate headlights this past year in a new indoor facility that it built from scratch. One model year since the new testing began, IIHS now includes headlight scores on its overall evaluation. To earn the top score a vehicle must have a trim with headlights that score Acceptable or Good. None of the four GM models IIHS tested earned a score that high.

post-139450-0-87150300-1497456149_thumb.png

This news is particularly bad for GM with regard to the all-new 2018 Chevy Equinox. Because it scores only Marginal, it will not earn the top safety rating that its peers, the RAV4, CR-V, Forester, Rogue, and other models do. Cadillac's XT5 also has few excuses for not being able to score as high as affordable models like the Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Highlander which earned scores of Good and Acceptable respectively.

Thank-you, IIHS, for paying attention to "how much glare is created for oncoming drivers".

You can throw 1,000,000 candlepower spotlights on the front of a vehicle and see for a mile, but if you are blinding other drivers, you are creating a dangerous situation. Just adding more and more light to your vehicle doesn't equal safety. I think a lot of SUV and truck drivers are oblivious to this fact.

And if your excuse is, "I can't see deer that are 1/4 mile in front of me", then you just need to slow down so you can avoid the deer or whatever you are afraid of hitting.

• Like 6

They strive for the best ratings and fail with the head lights?

It's not like that head lights are a new invention. They're part of a car since when, 100 years?

Has IIHS taken into account that the head lights are "working as designed"?

Probably not.

so long

j-ten-ner

attachicon.gifequinox 18 headlights.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

6-14-2017

General Motors crossovers and SUVs have scored relatively low in a new round of testing by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Institute started to test and evaluate headlights this past year in a new indoor facility that it built from scratch. One model year since the new testing began, IIHS now includes headlight scores on its overall evaluation. To earn the top score a vehicle must have a trim with headlights that score Acceptable or Good. None of the four GM models IIHS tested earned a score that high.

This news is particularly bad for GM with regard to the all-new 2018 Chevy Equinox. Because it scores only Marginal, it will not earn the top safety rating that its peers, the RAV4, CR-V, Forester, Rogue, and other models do. Cadillac's XT5 also has few excuses for not being able to score as high as affordable models like the Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Highlander which earned scores of Good and Acceptable respectively.

I do not see the Forester on the list???

Super8, good eyes. I should have mentioned that IIHS did a previous test of "small SUVs." In that test, the Forester rated "Poor." A model year has since passed though. Now, the Forester earns an "Acceptable" on some trims. It gets a bit confusing. IIHS tests all the trims that they have available and there are multiple headlight options on each model (not just on Forester, but almost all vehicles.) You can look at the list of the years and trims here. I drive a Forester, and my trim seems to be rated Marginal. I can't argue with that. They are not impressive headlights.

I wonder how much of these issues are related to blinding oncoming drivers rather the poor amount of light they project down the highway? Look @ the complaints about the Chev version of the K2XX trucks. When I was getting ready to order my '17, my nephew said I'd hate the headlights on the Chev. He drives both Chevs & GMCs for work & hated the Chev lighting. I've upgraded to HIDs, so @ least reflective objects are lit down the road.

This may be anecdotal, but I think the low beams on my '11 Silverado HD projected more light down the road.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jogutier
      Selling a pair of Anzo U-Bar headlights. The headlights are great to perfect condition and were only used for about 2 months. I switched back to my originals being that is more of my style.  

$300 and that includes ground shipping.

• By Dalefan333
      So before people tell me this has already been discussed I realize that and read through all 5 pages about it already and the question was never really answered.... My specific situation and question is I have a 2015 GMC Denali 1500 that I put some LED bulbs in last summer and love how much better it looks then the halogen bulbs! Unfortunately a bulb in the passenger side must have been defective and burnt out after only 4 months so the company sent me a new bulb which I replaced in December...unfortunately I live in Fargo and it happened to be -15 that day and guessing it didn't seal properly and I ended up with moisture inside the lens; it finally warmed up enough this spring that I dried out the headlight and resealed it properly this time however I'm still getting moisture in the headlight so guessing I'm just gonna have to buy a new one which I'm not real happy about... Well my buddy has a 2016 GMC Denali 2500 HD and he said he would sell me both headlights since he put aftermarket ones in his for the price it would cost me to buy one. They look exactly the same but after reading other posts it seemed there was questions whether the wiring was compatible; that thread was a few years old so curious if there has been a fix or adapter that's now available that will make them work? I have both part numbers if that helps...my headlights are part #84144047 and his headlights are part #84012632. I'm pretty novice with all this so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    • By aseibel
      Last week I noticed when driving into the garage, that one of my DRL/low beam lights was out. I have a 2015 with the halogen lights, separate high beams.
      I first read some old posts on here about how to get at them. No problem, I bought a new set of H11 bulbs and went to replace them. I put the new bulb in the driver's side first since it is easier, the new bulb worked. (that old bulb still worked as well).
      Then I go yank the air box out to get at the passenger side. put new bulb in. After reassembling everything I tested it out by turning on my headlights, and lo and behold, this brand new bulb does not light up. After inspecting the old bulb, I cannot see any sign of it burning out either, no black, nothing broken inside the glass.

So my question is, would there be anything I can easily check that would cause this if it is a wiring issue? I'm not terribly worried about it now since I do very little driving after dark and I will be taking my truck in for an inspection right before my 36 month warranty runs out in June. Just wondering if this has been encountered before. I don't want to make a habit of replacing bulbs only to find out they are not the problem. Replacing the passenger side bulb is not fun.
    • By Bkapanka
      I just bought my first newish truck, being the 2014 Silverado 2wd z71 lt. It’s got the crew cab with 5.3l under the hood. I’m currently stationed at ft Stewart ga. 

Im just looking for some help or some advice on some upgrades I’d like to do to this truck and which products might be the best.

- I’d like to change the headlights and fog lights from stock.
      - Put a leveling kit and some new (bigger) a/t tires on it and not sure what size being
      2wd.
      - Change to an aftermarket air intake.
      - Do something about the shitty stock speakers (without Bose). Wether it be new door speakers and sub(s). Or be just subs and have a separate amp just for door speakers. Do I need a processor to hook up to stock 8” head unit.
      - How do I add any app or navigation to this stock 8” head unit
      - Exhaust?
      - How to get more performance from the truck.

Anything would help,

Thanks
    • By frenchsquared
      I have been skimming of headlight complaints on these trucks since 2015. Whats the short summary? 

I had a 2010 Silverado and that truck had amazing headlights. Like the best ever. I had a 2015 Silverado and the head lights seemed fine. Clearly not as good as 2010 but they worked fine for me. 

I just bought a 2018 Sierra with HID head lights and I am trying to figure out if there will be an issue. Some say to replace them with LEDs. Some say you cannot replace them with LEDs. Some reviews say the 2018 HIDs are amazing and were improved. Im basically lost with all the internet ramblings. 

Thanks.