100k+ mile update for 2014+ trucks?

8 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Enough of the nonsense TXGREEK ok?  You can eat Carrots and green beans your whole life and die from cancer at a young age...OK?  AMSOIL is fine so is Mobil,Valvoline etc.etc.  

You can have lifter failures with AMSOIL so relax

Very true 

It’s probably more like 500k miles with synthetic and 700k miles with your super oils

Let be honest here, most engine failures have little to do with the lubrication if you’re changing it responsibly

i dont know about you, but every car I’ve trashed had nothing wrong with the engine and that’s without even using synthetic. The engines last far longer than the body, interior, frame, ancillary engine pieces, transmission. I think you’re wasting money using a considerably more expensive oil.

take the extra money your spending on amsoil over mobile 1, and do an extra trans/diff/transfer case oil change, likely a better allocation

Edited by truckguy82

It’s maintenance, this is why there are different stocks of oils, base stock oil is conventional mixed with additives, highest stock oils are completely man made, Full Synthetics is base conventional oil mixed with additives that clean where as Amsoil is 100% synthetic base with 100% synthetic cleaning additives. 100% synthetic Amsoil lasts longer which means you can run it minimum twice as long as the crisco formula Mobil1 and protects more than 4X’s the amount of Mobil1’s best annual protection oil.

Anyone can get cancer and I’ve personally list someone close to it, you can eat healthy all you want but if you’re predisposed to that cancer gene running in your family then it’s somewhat inevitable BUT you’re then forcing yourself to eat wheat grass and kale along with other high quality flush to help assist your body to get rid of your life threatening disease. Engines are no different, metal to metal requires the highest friction protection available thus protecting your engine from excessive wear and tear that WILL cause your engine to break down sooner rather than later.

It’s obviously completely up to you, but here’s an official video available for anyone to view and gather additional information as to how the world of engine oil works, from how engine oil is really tested and marketed and at the end of the day, it’s completely up to you, pat yourself on the back all you want but cheap oil is cheap oil with cheap results and with all those very expensive moving parts, I’d want the highest protection available prolonging my engines life span. Protecting your engine in between oil changes is the most important!

Pay attention to how oil performance is graded and the actual % amount additives that make up the oil. You’ll see, Mobil1 products are on the bottom of the barrel and all you’re paying for is MARKETING!

Sent from Above

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Let be honest here, most engine failures have little to do with the lubrication if you’re changing it responsibly

If is a big word in this context. I've seen million mile gas flatheads that ran their lives on oils from as early as the 30"s. That's 1930's :) if you change it responsibly. I've also seen motors done in 50 miles on the best oils available at the time. 

Both those things true the definition of responsibly is "fluid". :crackup:

Are there not as many heated debates over OCI than brand? 

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

The engines last far longer than the body, interior, frame, ancillary engine pieces, transmission. I think you’re wasting money using a considerably more expensive oil.

For most this is absolutely true but for others..... We would have zero antiques if it were true 100% of the time. Not all of them are low mile 'barn finds'. Uncle Bob's million mile 36 Ford was a working farm truck and family transportation for 60 years. Rare? Oh yea BUT it's possibility lays in the hands of the owner making blanket statements no quite so useful. Insisting ones own experience is the universal paradigm? Hardly worth the effort to make that argument....don't you think? That's a question boys not a statement. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

For most this is absolutely true but for others..... We would have zero antiques if it were true 100% of the time. Not all of them are low mile 'barn finds'. Uncle Bob's million mile 36 Ford was a working farm truck and family transportation for 60 years. Rare? Oh yea BUT it's possibility lays in the hands of the owner making blanket statements no quite so useful. Insisting ones own experience is the universal paradigm? Hardly worth the effort to make that argument....don't you think? That's a question boys not a statement. 

Due to the extremely tighter tolerances in today’s modern engines, more and more people are complaining today of engine failures more than ever before. Cheap oil is cheap oil, doesn’t matter how you turn it, flip it, it’s going to be cheap oil and the more people educate themselves on just what they’re buying by looking at independent lab tests and stop putting so much faith into marketing schemes only designed to get you to buy their product, the more you’ll see, you get what you pay for.

Sent from Above

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If is a big word in this context. I've seen million mile gas flatheads that ran their lives on oils from as early as the 30"s. That's 1930's :) if you change it responsibly. I've also seen motors done in 50 miles on the best oils available at the time. 

Both those things true the definition of responsibly is "fluid". :crackup:

Are there not as many heated debates over OCI than brand? 

I wasn’t really talking about engines from 1936

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Due to the extremely tighter tolerances in today’s modern engines, more and more people are complaining today of engine failures more than ever before. Cheap oil is cheap oil, doesn’t matter how you turn it, flip it, it’s going to be cheap oil and the mire people educate themselves on just what they’re buying by looking at independent lab tests and stop putting so much faith into marketing schemes only designed to get you to buy their product, the more you’ll see, you get what you pay for.

Sent from Above

That’s ridiculous. Modern engines are way way more reliable than older engines.

Hell even supercar engines are way more reliable than they were in the 90’s.

That’s ridiculous. Modern engines are way way more reliable than older engines.

Hell even supercar engines are way more reliable than they were in the 90’s.

Active fuel management along with so many other restrictions don’t make more reliable engines, they make up the majority of people on these forums looking for a way to repair or disable. Older engines didn’t have the enormous amount of restrictions they have today but again, your issues were about Amsoil oil and claiming to save by buying cheap oil and cheap oil has been tested to not be even close to the protection that Amsoil gives and this is through Blackstone testing, not from Amsoil.

Educating oneself is half the battle.

Good luck to all!

Sent from Above

There are millions of motors in all makes of vehicles using oil that isn't Amsoil quality.

Redline oil, Schaffers oil etc. 

I concede the quality difference.

If the other oils were causing motor failures I believe it would be well documented and available to the public. 

The bulk oil used at dealers , fast lube joints must be working or they would be changing oil due to engine failures.

Off the shelf oil (major brands) has been a standard for decades.

If any brand of oil was causing motor failures how long would it last?

I have used off the shelf oil all my life without motor issues.

You do what works for you but others have methods that have been proven to work.

This includes oil brands, oil changes intervals and oil filter brands.

This is a personal decision same as the color you like or if your a breast man or a butt man.

So this oil thing gets old.

Rant over.

:)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Due to the extremely tighter tolerances in today’s modern engines, more and more people are complaining today of engine failures more than ever before. Cheap oil is cheap oil, doesn’t matter how you turn it, flip it, it’s going to be cheap oil and the mire people educate themselves on just what they’re buying by looking at independent lab tests and stop putting so much faith into marketing schemes only designed to get you to buy their product, the more you’ll see, you get what you pay for.

Sent from Above

I think the word  your looking for is 'clearance' not 'tolerance'. The only tighter clearances in a modern motor are piston fit up and even than isn't really new. Hypereutectic materials and heat management allowed this and aided in ring stability. The other are parts of the motor that operate 'hydraulically' such as the AFM system and cam phasing are sensitive to cleanliness and viscosity (perhaps although I'm not completely convinced that this last part has as much bearing as manufactures would want you to believe).

Neither of those two depend on chemistry for functionally

10 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I wasn’t really talking about engines from 1936

:lol: I know sir, and I wasn't picking on your thoughts. I was actually holding them up in esteem. Your comments were honest and well spoken. Something that gave the following thoughts traction that could be honored.

You offered an example of the "real world" that can not and should not be ignored. If fact you spoke precisely of my first experience with synthetic oil. I bought a 98 Civic HX that was bottle feed a high end synthetic on a relatively short OCI. It went to it's grave with a perfect driveline but nothing in-between. Rusted away. That didn't back me down from my oil maintenance program. Instead it redoubled my efforts to extend the life of the rest of the vehicle past the driveline.  So far, so good. Regrets? Yep, I didn't notice my influence on every aspect until I'm now too old to reap the rewards of that acquired wisdom. It's why I try passing it along to fellas that are young enough to use it.  Understand? 

• Like 1

default_lol.gif I know sir, and I wasn't picking on your thoughts. I was actually holding them up in esteem. Your comments were honest and well spoken. Something that gave the following thoughts traction that could be honored.

You offered an example of the "real world" that can not and should not be ignored. If fact you spoke precisely of my first experience with synthetic oil. I bought a 98 Civic HX that was bottle feed a high end synthetic on a relatively short OCI. It went to it's grave with a perfect driveline but nothing in-between. Rusted away. That didn't back me down from my oil maintenance program. Instead it redoubled my efforts to extend the life of the rest of the vehicle past the driveline.  So far, so good. Regrets? Yep, I didn't notice my influence on every aspect until I'm now too old to reap the rewards of that acquired wisdom. It's why I try passing it along to fellas that are young enough to use it.  Understand? 

Arrrg, thanks for correcting that one for me [emoji1303]

Sent from Above

• Thanks 1

There are millions of motors in all makes of vehicles using oil that isn't Amsoil quality.
Redline oil, Schaffers oil etc. 
I concede the quality difference.

If the other oils were causing motor failures I believe it would be well documented and available to the public. 
The bulk oil used at dealers , fast lube joints must be working or they would be changing oil due to engine failures.
Off the shelf oil (major brands) has been a standard for decades.

If any brand of oil was causing motor failures how long would it last?

I have used off the shelf oil all my life without motor issues.

You do what works for you but others have methods that have been proven to work.
This includes oil brands, oil changes intervals and oil filter brands.

This is a personal decision same as the color you like or if your a breast man or a butt man.

So this oil thing gets old.

Rant over.

[emoji4]

Agreed!

Sent from Above

An oil thread started and was shut down a few weeks back. Now old threads are being dug up for the same.

We get it you use brand x, but it doesn’t have to be every post.

We are on this forum because we all share that we are enthusiasts and can help each other out with common maintenance and issues. I’d say most of us can make our own adult decisions on what we use for maintenance.

Spamming these threads in the end doesn’t make it any fun for any of us when moderators have to treat us like children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An oil thread started and was shut down a few weeks back. Now old threads are being dug up for the same. We get it you use brand x, but it doesn’t have to be every post.

We are on this forum because we all share that we are enthusiasts and can help each other out with common maintenance and issues. I’d say most of us can make our own adult decisions on what we use for maintenance.

Spamming these threads in the end doesn’t make it any fun for any of us when moderators have to treat us like children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re correct about removal of oil threads being locked due to extremely immature behaviors coming from members that pat themselves on the back for using cheap oil where as all I’ve ever done is show real life proof based on the quality of a product which is what everyone always asks “personal views of the quality of a product and longevity”.

Quality products, whether tires, lift kits, oils are pretty much set in stone but for some reason only a small amount actually care about what’s put into their engines which is the heart of their vehicles. Amsoil WILL NOT GUARANTEE 100000000000000 miles but all I’ve done is show proof that it’s the best and that’s all I’ve ever mentioned and haven’t cut down anyone for not using it but for some, it’s extremely important to justify their selection by cutting down anyone that brings it up.

It’s already stated, you get what you pay for, buy what you want and what you can afford.

Good luck to all, C’YA!

Sent from Above

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I think the word  your looking for is 'clearance' not 'tolerance'. The only tighter clearances in a modern motor are piston fit up and even than isn't really new. Hypereutectic materials and heat management allowed this and aided in ring stability. The other are parts of the motor that operate 'hydraulically' such as the AFM system and cam phasing are sensitive to cleanliness and viscosity (perhaps although I'm not completely convinced that this last part has as much bearing as manufactures would want you to believe).

Neither of those two depend on chemistry for functionally

:lol: I know sir, and I wasn't picking on your thoughts. I was actually holding them up in esteem. Your comments were honest and well spoken. Something that gave the following thoughts traction that could be honored.

A civic with a long lasting drivetrain is your anecdotal evidence?

I once bought a a ‘95 civic somebody never changed the oil it, it had 95k miles on it and a hole in the block where the rod punctured it. I could literally stick my fist into the block.

well guess what, I still drove that civic for 2 miles to a mechanic. Yes, a civic that had no oil in it, had been sitting for a year, with a hole in the block, down a cylinder, still drove 2 miles.

you could probably put olive oil into 90’s civic crankcase and it’s get you to 200k

Synthetic was not why it lasted a long time