In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hello everyone! I wanted to upgrade my rear tail light bulbs (not the entire taillight assembly, Just the Bulbs) with LED's. I purchased a pack of 6ohm 50 watt load resistors.

Vehicle:
2009 Silverado 1500 LTZ, 6.2l

Upon removing the drivers side tail light from the housing, I found the main part of the harness has 4 wires before dumping into the lower blinker light:
Green (reverse light)
Yellow (upper blinker)
Brown (lower blinker)
Black (ground)

After wiring the load resistor to the brown wire and a separate resistor to the yellow wire, I decided to test them with the LED bulbs installed. (Note, no led for the reverse light, stock bulb.) With the DRL Lights off, the bulbs blinked normally. Upon activating the DRL Lights, the bulbs would hyper-flash after 3 normal blinker flashes. I tried relocating the [yellow wire] load resistor in-between the upper blinker and the reverse bulb but had the same results.

Also worth noting, I tried removing the resistor from the yellow wire and the result was continuous hyper flash regardless of DRL lights on or off.

Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advanced.

Edited by JetForceF22

black/brown and black/yellow - No resistor for back up lights . 4 blubs 4 resistor . www.LEDLight.com

That's how I had it initially configured. It won't hyper flash when the DRL lights/low beams are off. As soon as I turn them on the hyper-flashing begins.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PotatoFarmRyan
      I bought a 2015 2500HD Sierra with regular tow mirrors, recently upgraded to the tow mirrors with the amber front lights. After install, the amber lights only turn on after unlocking the doors and then naturally they time out. Will not turn on as running lights. Any suggestions? 
    • By Monztruz
      I have a 03 Sierra and installed a LED light bar with dedicated harness from the battery to a switch inside the Cab. So my light bar ran perfect and then I started noticing when I turned them off, they would still flicker. So I bought a Load Equalizer and installed that in line close to the light bar and screw it to the frame. I go to turn my lights on and now they flicker while ON but turn off fine. This might be stupid simple but could that mean the Equalizer is bad? My connections are pretty solid.
    • By Tech89
      I just noticed this while cleaning the dash. It looks like some LED strip of some sort in there. Went through settings and didn’t notice anything about a light for forward collision or anything. Definitely too small to be HUD. 

• By Seth Trebatoski
      Hello All,

New to this site, just bought a new 2021 Silverado LT Trail Boss a few weeks ago. One of the first things I am doing to this truck is upgrading the few halogen bulbs that GM decided to keep on it. The Rear backup and license plate lights all went super smooth, no issue. But when I went to remove the front blinker bulb from the housing I was faced with a different configuration than what I've seen. The place where you would normally find the circular grip for twisting out the bulb has a small hex head there in place, and it does not look to actually come apart (Please see attached picture). I think that I might have a different blinker than what normally comes with this trim (and I think it may already be LED) but I am unable to find anything online that resembles or mentions this configuration. I am only able to find the typical bulb backing which does not match mine.

Does anyone have insight to this or possibly know what kind of blinker I have? I have included a picture of the back of the blinker as well as the light housing itself as I think it too looks slightly different than others I have seen.

Thanks in advance!

• By stephane lamoureux
      I saw a few topics on swapping the Silverado 2020 LT 2500HD but they seem older posts from 2019.  We just bought our 2020 and love it but I want to change the lights to LED everywhere.  I went on Amazon to see but there are so many choices that I don't know where to start.  Who else has done this ? help please :)