Recovery hook

Trying to swap out the black hooks to chrome on my 2017 silverado 1500. Passenger side easy but the front bolt on the drivers side hits a bumper bracket. If it had been installed the other direction it would be no problem. Do you have to cut it out or is there another trick? Have seen the videos for 2014 and 15 models but 2017 is different.

Cut it......

Tow Hook Replacement (2016 and Beyond) Chevy and GMC Crew Cab With Existing Tow Hooks Removal
  1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Driver Tow Hook
    1. Loosen tow hook through bolt and remove bolt out of frame rail enough to allow clearance for bolt head to be cut (qty 1).
    2. Cut bolt head off and remove bolt out of the outboard side of frame rail.
    3. Remove the rear tow hook bolt and remove the OE tow hook (qty 1).
  3. Passenger Side Tow Hook
    1. Remove tow hook bolts (qty 2)/nut (qty 1).
    2. Note: Passenger side tow hook bolts should not need to be cut.
  4. Swap rubber guard/seal from OE tow hooks to replacement tow hooks.
Installation

Caution: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install new tow hooks (4) to frame rail (nut-qty 1 and bolt-qty 2 per hook) making sure that the through bolt head is facing outboard of the frame rail.
  2. Install the through bolt (3) and nut (2) and tighten to 80 N.m (59 lb ft).
  3. Install the short bolt (1) to frame and tighten to 80 N.m (59 lb ft).
  4. Lower vehicle.

I have a 2wd that does not have tow/recovery hooks. Should I purchase a set, I assume the install would be as indicated above but to include careful trim out of the below-bumper moulding. Is that correct?

If so, should be pretty simple.

Nice documentation. Thanks.

Edited by Boardmember

I have a 2wd that does not have tow/recovery hooks. Should I purchase a set, I assume the install would be as indicated above but to include careful trim out of the below-bumper moulding. Is that correct?

If so, should be pretty simple.

Nice documentation. Thanks.

Looks like there are tow hook delete covers on your GMC that must be changed out.....

Tow Hook Installation GMC (2014 thru 2018)

1. Remove the LH/RH bumper bracket fasteners, (qty 16) and brackets. Upon Reassembly tighten fasteners to 58 N.m (43 lb ft).

Disconnect fog lamp connector.

2. Remove tow hook delete cover fasteners (qty 8).
    3. Remove tow hook delete covers.
  1. Install front tow hook covers, P/N 23243484 and 23243485 using retained hardware.

Tighten

Tighten to 6 N.m (53 lb in).

Edited by MS3DALE

Thank you!

Holy cow. This DOES NOT have my name (or wallet) written on it.

If done by a local body shop, what's an anticipated labor cost? I see chrome hooks on eBay in the $130-150 range.

I just installed red tow hooks on my 2017 z71 silverado. I used a sawzall to cut the head off the head of the bolt off on the driver side. Slide the bolt out until it touched the bracket and held the head with a pair of vise grips and cut the bolt. Was a piece of cake.

Thank you!

Holy cow. This DOES NOT have my name (or wallet) written on it.

If done by a local body shop, what's an anticipated labor cost? I see chrome hooks on eBay in the $130-150 range.

I'd guess they'd charge you an hours labour, so depends what the going rate is in your area.

NO, you do NOT have to cut the bolt. I did this last month, with the help of a you tube video on installing a bull bar a guy showed 3 extra bolts that you undo and pry up on the top piece where the head of the bolt is. It is a bit of a job like the bolt on the passenger side but I did it without cutting and I am on social security.

• Like 1

Trying to swap out the black hooks to chrome on my 2017 silverado 1500. Passenger side easy but the front bolt on the drivers side hits a bumper bracket. If it had been installed the other direction it would be no problem. Do you have to cut it out or is there another trick? Have seen the videos for 2014 and 15 models but 2017 is different.

Yes, cut the bolt. If you bought the hooks from GM they come with new hardware, so no point in trying to save the old bolt by tearing off/moving things that don't need to be touched. Above poster with the sawzall is the best idea, exactly what i did.

Edited by jimcost2014
  • Like 2

NO, you do NOT have to cut the bolt. I did this last month, with the help of a you tube video on installing a bull bar a guy showed 3 extra bolts that you undo and pry up on the top piece where the head of the bolt is. It is a bit of a job like the bolt on the passenger side but I did it without cutting and I am on social security.

2014-2015 correct. Changed on 2016 and up. I know, just checked this weekend, my 2016 Sierra does not have the same exposed bolts to undue.

• Like 1

2014-2015 correct. Changed on 2016 and up. I know, just checked this weekend, my 2016 Sierra does not have the same exposed bolts to undue.

Thank you for sharing that info. I watched a video on a bull bar install and since I did not get extra bolts with mine I had to salvage the originals.

Good to know that there is a difference between 14/15's and the 16's. :thumbs:

I bought a rotary tool from home depot and cut them. Took me 5 minutes to remove the hooks. Then I took a razor blade and trimmed the openings for the bull bar to fit.

Removing the grill and bumper is unnecessary.