Recovery hook

Trying to swap out the black hooks to chrome on my 2017 silverado 1500. Passenger side easy but the front bolt on the drivers side hits a bumper bracket. If it had been installed the other direction it would be no problem. Do you have to cut it out or is there another trick? Have seen the videos for 2014 and 15 models but 2017 is different.

Don't cut the bolt, no need. I removed mine by loosening the bracket it hits.. you have to remove 3 bolts, pry the bracket apart with flat head. wiggle it out it took about 5 minutes.

just re install the bolt from the other side, pretty easy.

I don't know Why GM did this but i am sure they bolt the tow hooks before installing that bracket.

Edited by javierh41
  • Like 1

I wonder why recovery hooks come standard on 4WD and not on 2WD, which needs them more than the 4WD's?

I wish I had them on my 2WD. Maybe I'll buy a pair and install them. Never know when I may need them.

Used mine a couple of times is all on the 2007 - you had to trim the plastic facia to even get a good size strap thru them. Yarded an old Ford truck out side ways once that had sat for years and broke the brakes free. Another time to brake a truck as it rolled off a trailer with the wife steering - it no working brakes of it's own.......

Edited by Krusty

• 2 months later...

Guys, could use some help.....Is there a trick to installing the hooks after you remove?  Took out passenger side, and tried putting in new chrome ones.  Could not get it to go in...Still have the plastic piece between frame end and bumper there.   Shoud it just slide in or is it a super tight fit?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We have receivers and the new big D tow hook for the 2005 to 2017 4x4 trucks, they will also fit the 2 wheel drive with a cut out. We are becoming a vendor on this site if we ever hear back from them. They come with the receiver you swap out with the existing d ring.  tow hooks can be unscrewed from receiver if needed.   www.zl1addons.com

JDJ_3459.JPG

JDJ_3468.JPG

Edited by Skylane765

17 hours ago, Skylane765 said:

We have receivers and the new big D tow hook for the 2005 to 2017 4x4 trucks, they will also fit the 2 wheel drive with a cut out. We are becoming a vendor on this site if we ever hear back from them. They come with the receiver you swap out with the existing d ring.  tow hooks can be unscrewed from receiver if needed.   www.zl1addons.com

JDJ_3459.JPG

JDJ_3468.JPG

$500 for two of these????

I'll buy a $50 black set and pass on some fancy tow hooks.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2017 at 5:30 PM, mike67naz said:

Guys, could use some help.....Is there a trick to installing the hooks after you remove?  Took out passenger side, and tried putting in new chrome ones.  Could not get it to go in...Still have the plastic piece between frame end and bumper there.   Shoud it just slide in or is it a super tight fit?

Thanks

Anyway you can tell me the stats on the bolt head to install the hooks?  I'd like to pick up two from HD (my truck is a 2WD) since I'm buying my recovery hooks on CL.

I just installed red tow hooks on my 2017 z71 silverado. I used a sawzall to cut the head off the head of the bolt off on the driver side. Slide the bolt out until it touched the bracket and held the head with a pair of vise grips and cut the bolt. Was a piece of cake.

How did you reinstall the new hooks without removing the bumper?

I cut my bolts for a bull bar and want to reinstall my tow hooks but see no other way other than removing the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumper removal is pretty easy. At least on the silverado. Pull the bolts for the rear support bars on each side. Two 15mm bolts accessible on each side from the center with the grille off. Bumper will just be picked up. It weighs like 100 lbs ish.

Very easy to install, just remove the OEM stock hook and ours bolt right in its place, for the non 4x4 they will fit also just drill a 1 inch hole though the plastic cover and NO NEED TO MODIFY OR REMOVE BUMPER. All the frames of the trucks have existing holes for the tow hook receivers. if you look under the bumper you will see you can get to the frame to install them.

Edited by Skylane765