Interested in new Silverado, should I pull the trigger?

Thanks for the comment. The incentives look great now. I am stuck between the LT and LTZ. My budget has me in the 5.3 with LT package but I really don't like the bench seat in the front. To not get that package I think you need the LTZ with bucket seats and that gets pricey.

Can get cloth buckets in LT but not leather. Have to step up to LTZ to get leather buckets. That also gets the 8 spd.

If you don't want the price and LTZ extras, get an LT with buckets and put some Katzkin leather in.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can get cloth buckets in LT but not leather. Have to step up to LTZ to get leather buckets. That also gets the 8 spd.

If you don't want the price and LTZ extras, get an LT with buckets and put some Katzkin leather in.

If you get the buckets in the LT that means you get the center console, is that correct? The center console is really what I am looking for. I tried the website on chevy to build your own and when I add the cloth buckets the console doesn't show in the picture.

you can find really nice deals on 2017's right now. Next year at this time you'll probably find similar deals on 2018's. For 2019's you'll have at least a two year wait before you see and good pricing incentives. Being that trucks usually go up in price 1-3% per year & 3-5% on redesigned models, you may be looking at a $4000+ increase in price by the time 2019's are available.

I just bought my 2017 Sierra Denali last weekend with over $9,000 off its sticker price. Ended up being $4000 cheaper than the 2018 Toyota Tundra Limited I almost ordered. It was also $11,000 cheaper than any of 2018 Denali pickups available at the dealer. Both instock or on the way to the dealer.

So, if price is your #1 concern, I'd recommend that you consider buying a '17 now instead of waiting.

You find a lot of people complaining about the chevy shake but I think one thing to keep in mind is that the guys on this site are all pretty interested in their trucks, why else join a truck forum? Part of that means noticing stuff that most people likely wouldn't notice and also people are far more apt to bitch about something bad than praise something good, aside from Apple fanboys ;). I'm not saying the chevy shake doesn't exist or that it's not a large problem, just keep in mind that the forum may be a slightly skewed version of reality. That said, as was recommended test drive it and make sure. If you're about ready to pull the trigger but are afraid of the shake tell the dealer, ask to take it overnight, if you're basically signing the deal some dealers will let you take it for an overnight rather than lose the deal.

More importantly, I would not buy the 2019. Personally, I would never buy the first year of a new generation or redesign. The front clip redesign being the exception. Small changes in visual or mechanical function are usually fine but these larger changes ALWAYS have issues for the first year. Give them time to iron it out if you plan on keeping it long term. Although if you're one of those guys that trades in every 0.5-2 years then by all means.

Ive had 4 that were all supposed to have the shake, amongst other problems that you read about here. A 14 Sierra 1500, 15 Sierra 3500, 16 Yukon and 17 Silverado. None of them have had anybtype of shake or vibration. I test drove the 14 Sierra before I signed for it because Id read about it on here. Same with the yukon for the buffetting issue. Didnt bother with the other two because I realized that it was not as common of an issue as you read about on here and I have a great dealer that would have gelped me with it if Id been one of the unlucky ones. In fact, the only vehicle Ive driven that had any sort of detectable shake or vibration was a 17 Ram, not a GM. Dont sweat it, any truck can have a shake, its not neccessarily a Chevy thing.

Buy a 17 and be happy. The deals are great right now. When the 19s come out well see, if I really want one it wont be until they are blowimg them out to make room for the 20s anyways and I got a good enough deal on the 17 that I wont lose my shirt on it if I decide to trade up again.

My '17 is as smooth as butter, right up to the limiter. All of the big three have shakers. These stiff frames, and ultra quiet cabs make it more difficult to hide driveline imbalances that in previous generations would not be felt.

1500 are more appealing but you get more for your money with the smaller ones.

I think you meant to say "larger" ones. If not, I'm confused! Anyway, a full sized crew cab is a good family hauler and a pleasure to drive. Bench and bucket seats are the same in these trucks but have different centre storage arrangements. The non-console version has the versatility of accommodating another passenger which can be useful. The multi functionality of these vehicles can't be beat by a car. The base model and power will meet most of your needs. Upgrade the features you value/need but don't be upsold on features designed for users with different needs. A member on this forum suggested that most people buy trucks for image. Although I don't believe this is the case, salespeople may try to appeal to your ego to sell you features you'll be "proud to own". I have a nice looking stock truck with leather and a colour matched canopy. A guy stopped his van as I was getting out of my truck the day before yesterday and called out "that is a killer truck, man!" He obviously didn't care that I had a V6!

I have a '17 LTZ bought new in June. Have just about 6300 km on it. No issues, no shaking, love every time I get in and start it. I didn't even get to try it before I bought it. I had to order it, came on a Tuesday, picked it up on a Thursday.

I have a '17 LTZ bought new in June. Have just about 6300 km on it. No issues, no shaking, love every time I get in and start it. I didn't even get to try it before I bought it. I had to order it, came on a Tuesday, picked it up on a Thursday.

Same with me. I ordered mine from the factory and did not even drive it before I bought it. I love driving it and it's the best truck I've ever owned. No shake, no transmission issues or anything. Great fuel economy, quiet and handsome interior, awesome Bose sound system with apple carplay, and it looks amazing to boot.

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on these forums for quite a while. My car is on its last legs and I have had my eyes set on a truck for some time. I am a GM guy so I really like the Silverado/Sierra. My goal was to wait for another year until the new models come out but I may be forced to make a decision sooner due to the health of my car. For better or worse I am set on GM. I just don't like the other makes. My dilemma is as follows:

1. Should I buy a 2017 with all of the discounts or wait until the 2019 is at least announced? Are there going to be that many differences? I am planning on getting the 6 Spd 5.3 v8. I don't want stop and start nor do I need a lot of crazy gadgets. I would like at least an LT with leather, remote start, towing package, heated seats, bed liner, and quad cab that's really it.

2. I wanted to wait until 2019 because of the chevy shake problem. Is it really that pervasive? Does everyone have it? I don't mind some vibrations but I want a good vehicle, especially at the price that can last me a long time. I had a 2012 Altima that has 96k miles on it that is supposed to have awful transmission problems and my car is fine. Not every car is bad but obviously there is a higher risk. Any advice would be helpful. For buying a truck you expect durability and longevity. That is what I want. Definitely need to get 150k miles on it.

3. I really like the bigger trucks but am wondering should I just settle and get the Colorado or Canyon? I am planning on having kids in the truck and the larger 1500 are more appealing but you get more for your money with the smaller ones.

Thanks for the advice!

Find a 17 you like, drive it (see if they will do an overnight test drive). I f you like it after that and can afford it, buy it. GM is pretty conservative with their new models, so no guarantees the 19's will be so much better than the current models. Remember though, inventory might be slim on the 17's with current incentives.

This thread can't be right, every other person should have the shake according to some. Lies, is it all lies?

Do the well equipped LT route and put katzkins on there, it will be a better quality leather than comes on the LTZ.

I was back and forth on the console and was glad I didn't. Have slept in my front seat, have locking storage under the seat, can carry a 6th person no problem and most importantly have room to spread out my 6'5 inch legs on road trips. Probably won't go back to a console if I don't have to. Though I am a cloth guy, won't do leather unless it is in a nice luxury car with the cooling feature so that helps.

Buy and don't look back if you need something now. The only luxury I wish my truck had was the radar cruise control but it wasn't even an option. Bluetooth, dual climate (the lady doesn't like being cold) and some descent power with good reliability and I am golden. Shoot I wish I could get manual seats that also went up and down.

Enjoy!

Tyler

Friend of mine has the console, mine doesn't. I thought I wanted it, but opted not to spend the extra money for it and I'm not unhappy about it, and I'm happy to have the lock box. The incentives on the Silverado's are amazing right now, GM overestimated demand and now they have to get them sold. I doubt they will make that mistake again in the near future. I think you'll find that right now you can get a Silverado for less than a Colorado because of the incentives on the Silverado. I was able to get the extra $1K Labor day incentive as well, maybe there will be a Columbus day incentive? Good luck! I've had mine a couple weeks now and I'm quite happy.

Archived