Brake pad recommendations?

So I've heard a squeak or two, it doesn't seem constant, but I'm at around 60k miles and think the brakes are nearing the end of their life and want to get a replacement set lined up. I'll probably pull a wheel later and see how much life i have left. (Put my fingernail on their and it feels like it's got a bit, but I'm not sure where the metal hanger starts to hit)

So I went to oreiley and got the cheapo organic pads for $20, but after buying them I started to think about brake dust and want to try to minimize it (have the 20" chrome wheels, and the stock pads seem alright dust wise)

So I looked at ACDelco pads, they look to be about $40 (not that cost matters that much, but no sense in wasting money)

But they seem to offer organic, ceramic, and semi metallic, looking around the web it seems GM also sticks on cheapo organics.

So I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone can recommend a low dust pad that will keep my wheels chrome and not rusty black :)

OEM brake pad seems to be GM part number 23135915 and is made by "akebono"

http://akebonobrakes.com/news/akebono-congratulates-general-motors-north-american-truck-year-award-chevrolet-silverado

$60 give or take -- might just get a set of those, but I think it's an organic pad too

"The four-wheel-disc brakes on the truck also feature Akebono brake pads made of low-copper, non-asbestos friction material." -- I would think they would specifically mention semimetallic and/or ceramic if it were non organic

Being that it was just a squeak I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're worn out. I've had brand new brakes squeal when wet or in warm weather and I'm sure other times. Now if it's a metal to metal sound then ya they're probably gone. If I were you I would pull the wheels off and just inspect them. I've read plenty on here that it seems like the factory brakes on the K2 1/2 tons seem to last over 100K miles.

If the need be, I'd go with ceramic for the cleanest operation. I use ACDelco ceramics. If you have time to order them online, checkout RockAuto.com.

If you want something that's going to last go with GM pads. I looked after a fleet of pickups a few years back and if I used anything other than GM pads I was doing the brakes again before the lease was up. I think the GM pads are worth the money.

I love EBC but they are expensive and create a lot of dust. I went with the powerstop kit and I'm very happy. Definitely get some brake dust but not as much as most pads. Plus they look cool. df3376c6cfc491e205e3bfd244f62f2c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I love EBC but they are expensive and create a lot of dust. I went with the powerstop kit and I'm very happy. Definitely get some brake dust but not as much as most pads. Plus they look cool. df3376c6cfc491e205e3bfd244f62f2c.jpg

Which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to highjack - just a quick question to Marticus - how do you like those Cooper tires in your picture?

Now, back to 'brakepads'

I really like them. It seems they are going to last a long time. They give pretty good traction as well. My only complaint is that they are not the best in the rain. It's easy to spin them taking off from a stop. I swap them out in winter so don't ask me how they do in snow.

Which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean which ones

Not to highjack - just a quick question to Marticus - how do you like those Cooper tires in your picture?

Now, back to 'brakepads'

I had these on my Frontier, a good tire but like previously stated they would break loose in rain and would not stop that great in wet conditions.

Archived